Gransnet forums

Travel

On line scams

(9 Posts)
Daisychain Fri 04-Sep-15 16:22:49

I logged on thinking it was the Passport office in Glasgow. For an appointment. Looked like their office. Paid £20 to them which I didn't have to. When I visited Glasgow Passport office. They told me they have been trying to shut this scam website down. So you good people in Glasgow. Be aware do not pay this scam website any money. The passport office do not charge for appointments

vampirequeen Sat 05-Sep-15 15:58:23

I've heard of this scam. There is another similar scam to do with driving licenses. The websites are so convincing.

tiggypiro Sat 05-Sep-15 16:22:18

There is also always someone wanting to charge you to get a visa. Some visas cost quite a lot already without paying someone to do it for you. After all you have to give them all the information before they apply for you so why not just do it yourself.
I'm also at a loss to know what the post office can do that I (or a friend) cannot do when it comes to checking a passport application.

Luckygirl Sat 05-Sep-15 17:06:19

There is also a scam for getting an EHIC - you can do it free on the official website, but appearing first in a search is a company who you pay to do it - and then they just go onto the official site and do the same as you could have done yourself. Naughty! They are not breaking the law, as, in microscopic letters at the bottom, it tells you that you can do it yourself.

Daisychain Tue 08-Sep-15 08:44:46

Thank you for your replies make sure their websites are ending with .org if it is to do with passports driving licence ect
you live and learn

Anne58 Tue 08-Sep-15 17:49:50

Sorry Daisychain you are wrong! You need to look for .gov.uk

grannylyn65 Tue 08-Sep-15 21:03:14

That is correct !

bikergran Tue 08-Sep-15 21:36:18

also make sure the website has an "s" at the end of the "http" (https) and when looking at any website on the left hand corner of there is a little yellow box/envelope it is and "add" so keep away from that particular site.

harrigran Thu 17-Sep-15 10:47:55

You lose more than £20 if you log on to these sites, you give your card details and you could lose your identity and all your money.
There was a scumbag on here last night advertising fake passports etc.