Gransnet forums

Travel

New luggage - Two wheels or four?

(32 Posts)
GreatauntieLinda Fri 02-Oct-15 16:11:42

Looking to purchase some new luggage but just cannot decide between two wheels or four.

Would appreciate your comments/advice on which to go for.

tanith Fri 02-Oct-15 16:16:36

Four, they are so much easier to just wheel along as you don't have to drag/pull all the time you can just wheel it alongside you. I find pulling something behind me means I am a bit twisted and it hurts my back and my hip.

Alima Fri 02-Oct-15 16:36:02

I agree with Tanith, the four wheel ones are much easier to manouvre. Make sure the handle is the right height for you.

annodomini Fri 02-Oct-15 16:50:04

My two-wheeled suitcase jerked my shoulder when it caught on something on a station platform. I ended up having a cortisone injection which sorted out the rotator cuff tendon. I also bought a four-wheeled case which is great, unless I have to tackle the unmade road on which my DS's family lives!

rosequartz Fri 02-Oct-15 17:47:39

We bought four-wheeled large and cabin sized luggage and they are so easy to manoeuvre and just glide along even with 25kg in them. The only difficulty arises when an airport has an expanse of carpet, when it seems easier to pull them on two wheels.
At least you have the option of using 4 or 2 wheels.

Coolgran65 Fri 02-Oct-15 19:01:25

4 wheels are fabulous.

tiggypiro Fri 02-Oct-15 19:04:02

DD has bought cases with 4 wheels twice and both have had a wheel pulled off a some point during a flight. It was also one of the wheels which could have been used with the pull handle. She has gone back to 2 wheels.

GreatauntieLinda Sat 03-Oct-15 15:06:17

Many thanks for responding everyone. I live near to a Shopping Outlet Village so shall have a look over to the Antler Shop to see if they have any end of season bargains.

Will let you know how I get on. In the meanwhile I am off on my travels to my little touring caravan in north Northumberland. Three nights before the winter sets in.

hildajenniJ Sat 03-Oct-15 21:12:29

I am ruining my two wheeled luggage, dragging it up and down all the kerbs en-route to my DD's house. Poor thing follows behind me on two trains and a ferry, then I usually walk the mile or so to her house. The bus doesn't connect with the ferry. The footpaths are bumpy and the driveways of the houses interrupt them. A four wheeled suitcase would be no use whatever. If I were just having to roll it around the airport, railway station or city I would go for four wheels every time!

annsixty Sat 03-Oct-15 21:33:30

GreatauntieLinda if you are towing your caravan yourself all kudos to you. It is not a piece of cake and I admire you, both for doing it and going alone. I hope you have a very good and relaxing holiday.

grannyactivist Sat 03-Oct-15 21:47:25

Husband refuses to buy four wheels because they're more likely to come off he says.

rosequartz Sat 03-Oct-15 22:13:23

They've been to the Antipodes and back three times and round the South Pacific and are still attached to the cases so far (four wheels that is).

Bennan Sat 03-Oct-15 22:34:55

DH and I bought four-wheel cases last week and went to Bruges on Eurostar. They were excellent and so easy to propel along the platforms and on the trains, even the escalators and travellators were no problem. Wouldn't go back to the two-week variety!

tanith Sat 03-Oct-15 22:40:55

hildajenniJ the whole point of 4 wheels is its the best of both Worlds, you can use it as a 2 wheel when necessary or a 4 wheel when on the flat.

rubylady Sun 04-Oct-15 05:51:03

Thanks for all that. I have just bought a new two wheeled case to go away this weekend to make it easier. If this fails, then I am going to get a dog pram. Anyone got one of those?

Auntieflo Sun 04-Oct-15 08:01:30

What is a " dog pram" please???

RAF Sun 04-Oct-15 08:26:12

We took two Eminent large cases all round the world on our 'Trip of a Lifetime", (apologies if this sounds like bragging, but the kids told us to spend some of their inheritance!) 22 flights in all and could not have managed with two wheelers with the cabin luggage as well (also four wheels)

Only damage was on a later holiday when Alaska Airlines dropped a ton weight onto one of them and badly cracked it, but the wheels were still on!

Auntieflo Sun 04-Oct-15 08:51:52

I just Googled Dog Pram, and saw some pictures. Then there was a link to Mumsnet, where a tale of someone got on a bus with a Dog Pram. When a wheelchair user wanted to board, there was not room. Surely people take preference over a dog? Or am I being silly? Again!

Nelliemoser Sun 04-Oct-15 09:12:22

The real problem is that on most luggage wheels are too small to be efficient. Big pushchair sized wheels would be better but not much use as on planes they weigh more.
There is also a problem getting cases up an isle on a train. The trolley cases are more stable when the wheels on the widest part of the case but then it doesn't go up the isle between the seats.
What ever happened to luggage porters?

chrissie13 Sun 04-Oct-15 09:25:31

My husband has a 4 wheel one and swears by it, but I am quite happy with my 2 wheel and will stick with it. Reason being that it is fine unless we go on a train or metro where we have to keep our cases near. Mine will stand nice and still by me, but his tends to go scuttling across the carriage, banging into people on the way, so he has to keep a grip on it at all times!

suelowe Sun 04-Oct-15 13:47:48

Two wheels are lethal to other passengers : many users appear oblivious to the dangers they present .why not NO wheels and only pack essentials . Our bags weigh 4 kgs each when packed !!!

tanith Sun 04-Oct-15 14:15:08

suelowe do tell why two wheeled cases are lethal? what dangers do they present? Why carry a case when you can wheel it? even if it only weighs 4kgs. I don't understand!!

rosequartz Sun 04-Oct-15 14:33:52

As none of my luggage, either 2, 4 or no wheels has yet caused the death of anyone to my knowledge, I don't consider them lethal.
However, I would really appreciate some advice on how to manage with 4 kgs of luggage, including the case, when going away for 12 weeks, including a cruise.

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-15 16:06:05

Surely dog prams MUST be a joke!!??

PetitFilou Sun 04-Oct-15 16:14:43

Death by lethal luggage…!! Well, that’s a new one - never heard of it before @suelowe.

Why on earth would any sane person struggle to pack the bare minimum for any trip? If I want to pack as much as I can and wheel my 20kg suitcase behind me, then that’s what I will be doing, especially since I’m paying for it. I certainly do not appreciate being told how little I should be taking on my trip, thank you very much!