Gransnet forums

Travel

Tuscany

(7 Posts)
storynanny Fri 29-Apr-16 19:26:16

We are flying to Pisa end of May for sons wedding in a little village hour away from Pisa. After the wedding we have 4 days to spend in Tuscany before flying back from Pisa.
Any tips for lovely places? Should we base ourselves in Pisa? We have already visited Pisa so are keen to travel further afield but can't decide to stay in a Pisa hotel for 4 nights or be travellers. We don't want to visit Florence and have already been to lovely Lucca. We are thinking the coast, maybe Portofino?
Looking forward to hearing your wonderful itinerary tips!
Ps we like gentle walking, not keen on museums and are not drinkers so no wine tasting

phoenix Sat 30-Apr-16 01:19:12

Oh heck, I've recently sorted out my boss's Italian holiday, but can't for the life of me remember the exact locations (he flies into Pisa, then goes somewhere for 3 days, then somewhere else for 4 days , the Florence for 6 days)

I seem to remember that the two places I booked for the first bits seemed lovely, if you can bear with me until I get back into the office on Tuesday and check the locations (they were all train journeys from Pisa) I might be able to help.

Teetime Sat 30-Apr-16 09:58:04

I loved Sienna the best from our two tours in Tuscany. San Gimigano (spelling) is also fascinating but very touristy of course. Off to Verona and Lake Garda soon can't wait. I hope you have a lovely trip and the wedding goes well. smile

KatyK Sat 30-Apr-16 18:16:45

Italy is my favourite place smile I particularly love Venice and the Amalfi coast (although the roads are a bit scary) - Sorrento is lovely. We have also been to Lakes Como and Garda and also Verona. Teetime don't forget to get yoursalf onto Juliet's balcony and do your 'Romeo, Romeo' bit as I did. grin

Maggiemaybe Sat 30-Apr-16 18:39:53

I was going to say Sienna too, storynanny, simply because it's one place we missed out on when we were in Tuscany, and so many people have told me since how beautiful it is.

NonnaW Sun 01-May-16 09:23:41

We based ourselves in a little place called San Vincenzo several years ago. It would have helped if we could speak better Italian though, as we were the only English there! Luckily the receptionist had spent time working in England and was pleased to have chance to practice her English again. She was very helpful in giving us tips on places to visit. It was great for days out to Sienna, San Gimignano (?) and the Tuscan hills. We still keep vowing to learn Italian properly, but not really got round to it yet.

storynanny Sun 01-May-16 19:42:19

That would be helpful Phoenix, thanks everyone