Gransnet forums

Travel

Car Breakdown services

(5 Posts)
dallas Sat 30-Apr-16 15:59:19

I feel I need to share this with all you Grandparents out there who think they and their families are covered by Drive-365 Breakdown Services.
My Daughter and 4 year old Granddaughter had broken down on a busy Dual Carriage way in Swindon and telephoned the above breakdown service at 5pm they were eventually helped at 10.15pm!!! They had no food, drink or toilet facilities for the little one who had to use the verge. One chap came out at 6pm but said he only had room for one passenger so would call in for another vehicle to attend, even though my Daughter told them she was a young mother with her 4 year old in the car. I really hope no one else has this company for their breakdown service because they will be left for hours. Disgraceful.

Antjexix Sat 30-Apr-16 16:07:27

We had the same problem with AA a few years ago. We just came back from a holiday abroad. They towed us to a service station and we were told that the driver was coming off duty and another would arrive shortly to get us home. We sat at this service staion half the night with 3 children. Although we had access to toilets and food,it was still very stressful. I wrote a letter of complaint and recieved £50 in compensation. I really feel for your daughter and granddaughter. We are now with Green Flag which we never had any problems with.

Anya Sat 30-Apr-16 16:15:43

When my daughter was 18 she broke down in a dark country road at night about 10 miles from home. She phoned the AA and they told her they had no record of her membership and basically 'tough luck'. This was in the early days of mobiles and she used up most of her charge phoning them.

By the time she came off the phone to them she had just enough charge to ring us before her phone packed in so we couldn't ring her back. We spent over an hour searching before we found her as her description of the lane was vague.

It took a lot to get the AA to admit they were at fault but apparently they ought to have gone out to her and argued the case later. She did get compensation but we'd never use them again.

Anya Sat 30-Apr-16 16:16:02

PS we use Green Flag too

dallas Sun 01-May-16 08:03:28

Thank you for the replies, I thought it was only Drive-365 who treated their customers so poorly, but to hear about the AA doing so as well is truly shocking. It seems Green Flag is the way to go.