Gransnet forums

Travel

What do you wear to travel in?

(103 Posts)
minimo Fri 05-Aug-16 15:32:20

When I fly I always end up wearing my jeans and bulkiest shoes so I can fit more in my suitcase. Does anybody actually manage to travel in loose fitting trousers and cashmere cardigans as advised by glossy magazines? wink

rosesarered Fri 05-Aug-16 15:41:46

I always suspect that nobody does in real life minimo and like you I travel in jeans, and trainers and usually a fleece.Welcome to Gransnet, hope you enjoy the forum.smile

felice Fri 05-Aug-16 16:12:58

As much as possible if on Budget Airlines, DBF and I have been known to wear dress jackets under winter coats, DBF with 3 shirts underneath and I have worn an evening tartan skirt with Jeans underneath
THey put me in a wheelchair so I pile on the layers, one sad day they might ask me to stand up !!!!! Other than to stagger up the stairs that is.Or weigh me aarrgghh

annsixty Fri 05-Aug-16 16:16:09

A hairdresser I used to use, and his wife and two children, always bought special new clothes , probably the sort you mention, as he said they would be the first considered for an upgrade.
I never tried it myself as we only ever flew charter , cheap and cheerful.

SueDonim Fri 05-Aug-16 16:25:02

I don't wear jeans to travel as I find them uncomfortable so I wear either loose linen trousers or chino-type trousers. No cashmere though! I wear a patterned t-shirt and a fleece which is lightweight if I don't want to wear it. I pack a spare t-shirt into my hand luggage, which came in useful on my last trip, when I spilt my dinner all down myself. blush

minimo Fri 05-Aug-16 16:26:13

oh, yes - the fleece! I have that too roses. Thanks for the welcome but I've been pottering around on Gransnet for a while now. Don't post everyday though but been involved in a few threads. I clearly haven't made enough of a racket yet to get on your radar (I try avoid the contentious threads usually!) smile

hildajenniJ Fri 05-Aug-16 17:14:52

I dress for comfort when travelling. I don't worry about how I look, (usually fairly respectable), as long as I'm comfortable.

Teetime Fri 05-Aug-16 17:17:00

Yes I wear linen trousers if travelling in summer, jeans are too restrictive and probably something stretchy in the winter. I always layer a t shirt with a nice big warp round cardi as I get cold in air conditioned planes. I don't take my shoes off as my feet swell but wear something quite wide and flat for pounding miles of airport corridors heaving a big case on wheels.

glammanana Fri 05-Aug-16 17:24:23

Light cotton baggy top and stretchy leggings/jeans always with a spare top in case of food/drink accidents I must admit I do take a cashmere cardi but I have had it for years and always take it on trips as its so handy.

janeainsworth Fri 05-Aug-16 17:45:42

Summer - Rohan technical trousers as they are loose fitting, lightweight and have loads of zip pockets to put things in, plus T shirt and a lightweight cardi (cotton, £10 from Tesco, one of my best-ever buys) and a loose linen jacket.
Winter - comfy trousers, probably Rohan again, vest, shirt, sweater and cosy, lightweight duvet coat.
Would never wear jeans on a plane - too tight & uncomfortable and probably wouldn't even take them on holiday if going somewhere warm.

ginny Fri 05-Aug-16 17:59:01

Loose trousers, canvas shoes, t shirt and fleece. As little hand luggage as possible, usually just a small over the shoulder handbag.

trisher Fri 05-Aug-16 18:10:28

Cotton trousers, vest top, linen shirt, cardigan, scarf and fleece if it is cold here. Layers strip off when I arrive somewhere warmer. Can't do jeans because I need a belt with them and I can't be bothered taking it off for security.

Treebee Fri 05-Aug-16 19:40:59

I either wear wide trousers or Rohan ones which have a zipped pocket half way down the leg. These are great for putting sweets in to suck when your ears are popping and your seat belt stops you reaching other pockets.
On top something soft that can be rolled into a pillow.
Jeans are generally too restrictive.

HildaW Fri 05-Aug-16 20:30:38

I too am a Rohan fan.....the secure pockets are great. I have a couple of their lightweight jersey cardigans that work well to keep the drafts off and can be scrunched up into a trouser pocket if you get too warm.
Their stuff is not cheap but its so well designed its worth it....it also washes easily and dries much quicker than 'normal' clothing.

annsixty Fri 05-Aug-16 20:38:41

Re " something soft to roll into a pillow" a friend who flies long haul regularly always takes a pashmina. It doesn't matter if it is old. It is great for shoulders in aircon and great for rolling into a headrest. It also crunches up into to a handbag or rucksack.

Jalima Fri 05-Aug-16 20:44:07

I do wear comfy stretchy trousers without a zip when travelling long-haul, with a cardie or fleece because the blanket they provide is never enough. A pair of comfy shoes as feet may swell!! And spare clothes in hand luggage.

However, short-haul I would probably wear a pair of comfy cotton or linen trousers.

A friend always dressed smartly, as did her DH (BA) and children, and usually got an upgrade but I don't think it makes any difference these days.

Jalima Fri 05-Aug-16 20:45:23

Oh, and a pashmina in hand luggage just in case annsixty smile

rosesarered Fri 05-Aug-16 21:01:59

Have never ( and never will) travelled long haul, 4 hours is enough for me, so don't find jeans restrictive at all, and they never look creased which is a bonus.I use the fleece as a cover or roll up as a pillow, great things fleeces! Most people dress sensibly and comfortably but have seen a few real sights over the years, particularly women who appear to think they look glam ( they didn't.....just faintly ridiculous.)

loopylou Sat 06-Aug-16 09:28:03

Stretchy trousers, teeshirt and lightweight jacket or cardigan. Comfortable shoes because my gammy ankle swells and a pashmina which has numerous uses.
I've never flown long haul.

I reckon on looking neat and comfortable over smart and fashionable!

Witzend Sat 06-Aug-16 09:35:58

My sister often used to get an upgrade on transatlantic BA despite dressing in any old and often vaguely Bohemian thing. But then even at 50+ she has a very demure looking face with a very good-little-girl voice and manner to match.

If they are going to upgrade anybody because they have overbooked in economy, I think they will want whoever looks as though they will be thoroughly well behaved and not bother other passengers/drink too much, etc.

NonnaW Sat 06-Aug-16 09:50:32

Don't linen trousers crease badly though? I always feel crumpled about 5 minutes after putting them on.
I always wear trainers as they are bulky but often necessary on holiday. Likewise, always have a wrap in hand luggage as they can be useful for cooler evenings as well as chilly planes (I'm a cold mortal!)

Jalima Sat 06-Aug-16 09:57:42

4 hours is probably enough for me too; I don't travel long haul for the pleasure of it, but necessity!

Lewlew Sat 06-Aug-16 10:21:36

On flights to the US, it's stylish track bottoms (black with a hem) and a comfy pullover over nice tee-shirt. If lucky I get two or more empty seats to lift the armrests and curl up for a nap. Especially for the return flight. Avoid window/aisle seats and usually luck out!

J52 Sat 06-Aug-16 10:24:32

Long haul, comfy trousers, Hotter Mary Janes and layers. Always a fleece to cuddle into, sometimes in transit in a cold airport in the middle of the night!
I always take a pashmina to cosy into and useful as a towel to dry hands on, a tip from Joanna Lumley! ( not personally, as heard on radio! )

Short haul is usually an early morning flight to somewhere warm, so cotton trousers, t shirt and fleece.

Gaggi3 Sat 06-Aug-16 11:04:03

I prefer a comfortable jersey dress, nothing fancy, with a cardigan and pashmina, with light raincoat if not going somewhere hot.