Gransnet forums

Travel

river cruising

(14 Posts)
silverlining48 Wed 14-Sep-16 10:24:04

We have just returned from a very expensive 14 day river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam on the danube, main and rhine rivers. We had a lovely time, but were surprised by a few things which i had not expected and never heard about so thought i would pass this on to anyone on GN considering such a holiday.
firstly due to bridges, the sun deck was closed with no access for at least 6 full days, with limited opportunity to get outside. The weather was fantastic so being stuck indoors was disappointing.
next the huge amount of locks (70) which meant sometimes long periods down low, close to the wet brickwork of the locks, so no access to the pricey balcony upgrade we had booked. curtains closed, lights on.
finally when parked up for tours in the various towns and cities we were generally parked side by side with other river boats. this meant again curtains drawn, lights on because of the close proximity of someone elses cabin just inches away from your own. and again, no access to balcony./views.
It was our most expensive holiday ever by far, and yes, we did enjoy it, but if you do the same, it might be better to be prepared for the above.

kittylester Wed 14-Sep-16 10:31:21

We have been debating doing that cruise silver as we love river cruises. We have come across all of the things you have mentioned but never for such prolonged periods.

We loved going through locks which seemed to be around meal times and have only been under low bridges a couple of times. When we have been moored next to another boat we have mostly been a shore. Which company did you go with?

We might revise our thoughts of going on that particular holiday.

Stansgran Wed 14-Sep-16 10:51:32

On the Nile the boats were all moored along side each other. I really enjoyed having to go between the boats to go ashore and having a look at all the different interiors . But them I like peering at lit interiors on darker evenings #notapeepingtomhonestly

kittylester Wed 14-Sep-16 11:18:06

Just nosy! Or in my case, a student of the human condition.grin

silverlining48 Wed 14-Sep-16 11:46:24

Yes I enjoyed looking at the other boats when walking through them, but they creep up on you. one minute wandering round the cabin in a towel or less and the next dashing for cover as view disappears and all goes dark. another boat arrives, right up close, and sometimes personal.

We travelled with APT which is an Australian co. Again had no idea but apparently well known there. Scenic is also Australian. There were 120 Aussies with just 6 Brits onboard but all were very friendly and we all had a good time.

kittylester Wed 14-Sep-16 18:11:09

I've just realised that my post above looks rude stansgran -I should have put a grin in. I'm sorry if I offended you! blush

Stansgran Thu 15-Sep-16 13:32:13

I did post that I didn't think it rude. But it didn't post or took so long the iPad closed itself down.I am nosy but I too call it just interested in people.

kittylester Thu 15-Sep-16 13:34:06

P hew grin

Grannynise Thu 15-Sep-16 21:37:10

We did a cruise on the Douro and (due to rain a few weeks before) the water level rose. As a result the boat wouldn't fit under the bridges and the boat had to stay in one place then turn round.

I guess that could happen on any river but it might be worth checking out low bridges before booking!

Elliebeth Tue 27-Sep-16 17:36:37

We too are thinking of a river cruise and torn between riviera and emerald. It would be the Danube next August and would be grateful for any thoughts regarding these two companies. As silver lining says they are expensive so want to try and get it right. We have done cruises before but not the river ones so any info would be much appreciated.

kittylester Tue 27-Sep-16 17:55:23

We have been on 3 river cruises with Riviera and have had no complaints at all. Well, it did snow while we were in Hollandaise but I don't suppose they could help that.

Quite a few friends also use Riviera for cruises and for non cruising holidays and I've not heard any of them complain.

HildaW Tue 27-Sep-16 21:28:29

Sounds like the cruise we did.....all the things you mentioned just seemed part of the cruise - they added interest and novelty as far as we were concerned. The double (or even triple) parking was quite enlightening!
When we had to go through the other boats you were often routed up and over the roof.......on ours (UniWorld) the officers donned full dress uniform and formed a guard of honour as the other cruise customers were shown through the very grand foyer.......many OOhs and Ahhs.....and yes was fun to feel smug!

Galen Tue 27-Sep-16 22:06:07

I've never tried cruising in hollandaise. As I'm allergic to egg yolks I think it might be dangerous

kittylester Wed 28-Sep-16 06:53:07

Ha ha Galen! grin Bloody phone! angry

Of course I meant Holland!! sunshine