Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Broadchurch - now that's more like a drama

(222 Posts)
Mishap Mon 04-Mar-13 22:03:02

Just finished watching episode one. Excellent acting - characters rather then caricatures. Definitely more like it than Mayday. Shaping up to be a very good drama.

Grannybug Tue 12-Mar-13 15:56:47

Shaping up nicely

Marelli Tue 12-Mar-13 16:04:42

Really enjoying this. Gave up on Mayday after the first episode.

JoanJett Tue 12-Mar-13 17:11:17

I do like it but something's niggling me. Am I being picky but I thought you couldn't have a paper round until you were 13.

annodomini Tue 12-Mar-13 18:37:31

That was certainly the case, JoanJett, when my DS did a paper round - he was desperate to be 13. Same with my GD, only 8 years ago.

gracesmum Tue 12-Mar-13 18:45:23

Caught up with this on the laptop today (both episodes) and loving it! So many people with something to hide, talk about hornets' nest! David Tennant being mean and moody - and with his own baggage - lots to titillate us over the next few weeks!

Grannyeggs Tue 12-Mar-13 18:53:13

I. Love it but a. Week between episodes is trying my patience, I really want to know what they will find next.love David Tennant .

Anne58 Tue 12-Mar-13 19:57:37

Thoroughly enjoying it! Almost OTT in that everyone seems to have a secret, but none the worse for that.

I too wish it was less than a week between episodes.

And what was that skateboard doing in the cupboard of Pauline Quirkes caravan? And is the baby the mother is expecting her husbands? And where was he really when he said he was were he wasn't? And what about the fingerprint match in the beach hut? Will the David Tennant character get back in touch with the psychic telephone engineer???????????????

Ana Tue 12-Mar-13 19:59:41

All these questions, and more, will probably not be answered in next week's episode of.....grin

BAnanas Wed 13-Mar-13 13:37:20

I'm really hooked on this, it's a long time since I have felt this way about a home grown series There have been so many disappointments lately where one episode has been truly enough, Mayday, Ripper Street that Mr Selfridge thing, I haven't stuck with any of them. They all seem mediocre compared to Borgen and The Killing etc. Glad to think a British made drama can still crank up the tension, looking forward to Monday's episode now.

gillybob Wed 13-Mar-13 13:42:32

Has anyone got any early ideas on whodunnit? Obviously it is cleverly written so that anyone could be the murderer but just wondered if anyone fancied a wager just for fun?

I know its not the Pauline Quirke character (with the skateboard in the closet) that is just too obvious, or is it? hmm

Mishap Wed 13-Mar-13 13:53:26

I think that the postie is the father of Beth Latimer's baby, and that the row between him and Danny was because Danny had seen them together. We wait and see!!

Gorki Wed 13-Mar-13 14:11:41

Oh! That's a good one ,Mishap.I hadn't thought of that !

Ana Wed 13-Mar-13 14:14:12

Oh no! I'll have to stop reading this thread if everyone's going to start guessing and giving away things I might have missed...confused

gillybob Wed 13-Mar-13 14:23:52

Well Mishap you really threw me with that one. That's brilliant. Have you by any chance "read the book"? grin

Mishap Wed 13-Mar-13 15:41:32

Pure guesswork - do I get some sort of GN Award if it turns out to be right?!

grumppa Wed 13-Mar-13 15:55:23

I'm convinced the murderer is the Detective Inspector. He obviously made a hash of his last child murder investigation, and has hatched a cunning plan which involves him murdering the Latimer boy and pinning the blame on someone else (the Detective Sergeant?) to show that he's good at his job.

whenim64 Wed 13-Mar-13 16:16:13

ggrumpa what a devious mind you have.....or do you? hmm

gillybob Wed 13-Mar-13 23:19:41

No way grumppa I think,Mishaps theory is the best one so far.

There probably won't be an award as such Mishap but image how impressed we will all be, surely that is reward enough.smile

annodomini Wed 13-Mar-13 23:31:40

Is Mishap secretly the scriptwriter?

Mishap Tue 19-Mar-13 13:51:52

Interesting episode last night. Naughty Mark!

Who is lying about the plumbing job at the holiday cottage? - Mark or the Pauline Quirke character (who has a skateboard in her cupboard - ?is it Danny's)?

What does Danny's little friend know that he isn't saying?

Where do the drugs come in?

It's a long time till next Monday!

whenim64 Tue 19-Mar-13 14:04:04

I can't resist looking at this thread. You'll have to talk in code, if you work out who it is, Mishap! grin I want to work it out and have the smug satisfaction of knowing whodunnit before anyone else! grin

BAnanas Tue 19-Mar-13 14:48:08

Watched it last night, still draws the viewer in, some dramas can go off the boil after a few episodes.

LullyDully Tue 19-Mar-13 14:56:43

but why did they burn the boat???

bluebell Tue 19-Mar-13 15:19:28

I'm really disappointed with the woman detective - she's portrayed as quite wimpy and unprofessional

merlotgran Tue 19-Mar-13 15:41:10

And what about the woman detective's husband? He's getting a bit more of a look in now and the weirdo psychic bloke told the grieving mother that the murderer was someone she knew. hmm