Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Ask Saoirse Ronan and Colm Tóibín your questions about Brooklyn

(15 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 12-Oct-15 10:13:54

As the adaptation of Colm Tóibín's award-winning novel Brooklyn is set to be released, we've been invited to talk to the writer himself, and actress Saoirse Ronan (The Host, Atonement, Grand Budapest Hotel, The Lovely Bones) who plays Eilis Lacey.

Set in 1950s Ireland and Brooklyn, the film follows Eilis who, sponsored by the kindly Father Flood, leaves behind her mother and sister and travels across the sea to a new life in America. Eilis gets a job at a glamorous department store and through a sweet young plumber called Tony she has all kinds of new experiences: the Yankees, Coney Island, proper spaghetti sauce…and love. But when a tragedy in the family forces her to return to Ireland, she finds herself torn between her old life and the new one waiting for her back in Brooklyn.

Adapted for the big screen by Nick Hornby and starring Jim Broadbent and Julie Walters, it's a must-see film for this autumn and has already been tipped for possible Oscar nominations (rightly so, we think - we've seen it!).

If you have any questions that you'd like us to ask either Saoirse or Colm, please add them below by tomorrow morning and we'll post the video responses on the thread.

Granin Mon 12-Oct-15 11:53:09

I loved this book - do hope the film lives up to it.

MeeKaOr Mon 12-Oct-15 12:01:44

I also loved the book. I would like to ask Colm Toibin whether (before the process started) he was worried the end result might not to justice to his excellent book - so often this is the case. (I have seen a trailer for the film though and have to say it does look great)

nannynicky Mon 12-Oct-15 12:04:27

I would like to ask Colm Toibin whether he had any choice in who adapted his book for the big screen and whether he was involved in the process in any way or just had to sit back and hope for the best (although I'd have thought with Nick Hornby involved this would not have been as daunting as it might have)

daimhin Mon 12-Oct-15 12:19:04

I was fortunate enough to catch a screening of the film, and have all the praise in the world for Colm, John, Saoirse, and the immensely talented cast of players that made this project so special. The one thing that stuck most with me was the heartbreaking chemistry between Saoirse and her two male costars. It never for a second felt contrived! For Saoirse: how did you go about forging that connection with both Emory and Domhnall both on set and off? Any humourous tales from filming with the lads?

ambertoby Mon 12-Oct-15 16:29:03

To Colm: what is your favourite scene in the resulting film?

To Saoirse: what was your favourite scene to film - is it also your favourite film to watch, having finished the film?

KatieDenton Mon 12-Oct-15 16:55:06

can't wait to see this when it comes out - i too loved the book

i've never seen sairse play an irish character before though. So to her, what did it feel like finally getting to play an irish character? Were you waiting fo the right one? What made you choose this one to take you back to your roots?

kiernan58 Mon 12-Oct-15 17:58:09

Colm, thank you for your wonderful books. I've read most of them to date and enjoyed them very much.

my question is hat did it feel like to see a huge team of people take your book and make it come alive? how involved were you in the process and did you enjoy it?

Paulhenry Mon 12-Oct-15 18:45:48

Saoirse... Why the move to Carlow in 97/98? Wouldn't Dublin have been better for your Dad's acting career back then?

Paulhenry Mon 12-Oct-15 18:50:57

Colm... How long did it take you to write Brooklyn?

marblemags Mon 12-Oct-15 19:32:12

Colm is it true you refuse to watch television? Ad if it is does this extend to the big screen too? If they had wanted to make Brooklyn into a TV movie would you have refused?

MrsP Mon 12-Oct-15 19:34:00

Question for Saoirse Ronan - I have seen you described as an Irish American actress but do you feel more Irish or American? And has this film changed that in any way?

MrsP Mon 12-Oct-15 19:36:13

PS we are having an argument about how to pronounce your name correctly - please enlighten us (as long as I win) I am going for ser-sha

TheGatMan Mon 12-Oct-15 20:11:19

To Saoirse: Are you a feminist and how does this film play to feminist values?

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 22-Oct-15 10:46:13

We'll have Saoirse and Colm's answers for you soon, but in the mean time enjoy a new trailer for the film with the lovely vocals of Iarla Ó Lionáird over the top: