Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Older people in the media awards - vote for your favourite

(92 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Jun-15 08:59:33

We're very excited to once again be part of the Older People in the Media awards alongside Independent Age! The 2015 awards launches today and we're asking gransnetters to let us know who they think should win.
Previous winners include Anne Reid and Dames Judi Dench and Maggie Smith.

It’s a slightly different format this year in that the awards are being run exclusively online...and exclusively on Gransnet.

And instead of just the one category, we have three for you to vote on. You don’t have to vote for all three of course, but if you add a nomination to the thread please just add a 1, 2 or 3 so we’re clear which one it’s for.

Categories are:

1) Best older person’s character in a book, film, TV or radio drama – the most memorable older, fictional character in a book, film, TV or radio programme

2) Everyday ageism hero - best marketing campaign or initiative that promotes ageing in a positive light

3) Best older person's champion in the media - high profile public figures or individuals who consistently bring an authoritative voice to the issues affecting older people.

All of the above need to have appeared/been broadcast/run etc between Fri 15 Aug 2014 and Fri 14 Aug 2015

More details here.

LyndaW Thu 25-Jun-15 14:40:13

Ros Altmann is always on the radio championing older people's causes. Think that's her job though. And now she's pensions minister so hopefully will do even more. So I'd vote for her as no 3.

And I quite like Grace Jones too for no 3 (is that acceptable?) She doesn't really bring a voice to issues of older people but I think she's a great example of bucking the trend, being who you are, going against what is expected of you and not feeling you have to retire just because you get to a certain age.

As for no 1...will give it some thought. Does Simon Cowell count as a fictional character? grin

And for no 2 (sorry, not doing this in order at all) I'll tell who should NOT get the award - the Shreddies ads. I change channels huffily every time.

NanRex Thu 25-Jun-15 15:25:50

I loved that advert a while ago where the couple leave their son (i think?) with his grandad, looking concerned about how he's giong to last the whole day with him - then as soon as the parents shut the door ,they start tearing around the house causing chaos - much closer to my own gparenting style grin not sure when it was on tv though, sorry. I suppose it would come into 2 though

petra Thu 25-Jun-15 18:44:22

Same here with the shreddies ads.

durhamjen Fri 26-Jun-15 00:10:05

3. Sheila Hancock for making a stand against raising car insurance for older people.

KatyK Fri 26-Jun-15 10:42:02

I agree re the Shreddies ad.

BuddyHubster Fri 26-Jun-15 11:49:56

Nominating James Bolam for Grandpa In My Pocket on CBeebies in category 1. He's a great actor with impeccable pedigree and this programme shows off the mischievous collaboration between a grandfather and his grandchildren while the parents think dear old grandpa is having 40 winks.

FarNorth Fri 26-Jun-15 18:04:15

I was just thinking of Grandpa in my Pocket for cat 1, too.

Definitely not the Wonga ad, either, for cat 2.

Ana Fri 26-Jun-15 18:31:27

Re the older person's category nomination, from the GN details:

'It is open to any fictional character in a book, film, TV or radio drama who has appeared in a new work (story line/episodes/film/new series) in the UK between the dates of Friday 15 August 2014 and Friday 14 August 2015.'

Has there been a new series of Grandpa in my Pocket between these dates?

We had this problem last year - sometimes it's difficult to know whether a programme meets the criteria.

POGS Sun 28-Jun-15 23:49:16

So easy for me to choose.

I nominate the wonderful GEMMA JONES who played Mary, the mother of Neil Baldwin in the fantastic BBC drama called MARVELLOUS.

Her acting skill was a joy to watch, as usual, and it would be a fitting tribute to honour the memory of the real mother of Neil Baldwin (Nello), she was such a wonderful mother .

I know I raved about 'Marvellous' on GN but the true story of Neil and the bond between mother and son will stay with me forever. Both Gemma Jones as the mother and Toby Jones as her son delivered acting of the highest level and left the viewer with an emotional understanding of the role a loving mum gives her child.

sagababe65 Mon 29-Jun-15 16:05:09

Nominating @oapschat for a site that consistently brings a positive message about life over 50..and its founder Janet Rosser.
And,coz I think everybody already nominated has enough plaudits to their credit and are lovely people, how about err...me: I am 64, blog every week about my granddaughter,..the blog is syndicated and gets over 500 hits, and once a week on writing topics. I am always focused on the 'age' topic...see my Twitter bio!

I also blog about my ''story'' how I changed literary genre at 61, overcame cancer and am living & writing. I try to put a positive spin on being older. Check me out: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Hedges

POGS Mon 29-Jun-15 23:41:21

sagababe65

Why does your post not sit well with me?

nigglynellie Tue 30-Jun-15 09:55:19

Not sure that nominating oneself is what this is about, but I could be wrong!
My nominee is John Humphreys. The reason. He is still working and a force to be reckoned with at the age of 70+, which proves encouragingly that you're not on the scrap heap at 65 or younger!!

Anniebach Tue 30-Jun-15 13:05:47

Am I allowed to vote for John Humphries in category 2 and 3

Category 1 . Has to be Mr Tom from Goodnight Mr Tom

POGS Tue 30-Jun-15 15:23:10

nigglynellie

My thought too.

Ana Tue 30-Jun-15 16:13:32

Goodnight Mr Tom isn't a new work.

Anniebach Tue 30-Jun-15 16:18:30

But I viewed it between the given dates Ana

Ana Tue 30-Jun-15 16:35:36

If you look at the More Details link at the end of the OP it says it has to be a new work. (See my post of 26th June).

Sorry to nitpick, but your choice won't count if it doesn't meet the criteria.

Anniebach Tue 30-Jun-15 17:43:25

You didn't nit pick Ana, thank you for explaining , I didn't read all

gammon Wed 01-Jul-15 16:51:13

Debbie Harry! She's amazing. And she's just turned 70. 70 I tell you! Who says the rocknroll lifestyle is ageing!? Happy birthday Debbie! (no 3).

HildaW Wed 01-Jul-15 20:36:10

Older person in media...Angela Rippon - elegant, charming and still working hard with consumer issues and journalistic programmes.

KatyK Thu 02-Jul-15 10:58:28

Older person in the media. I rather like Gloria Hunniford. She is still working and seems rather lovely, getting on with it despite losing her daughter.

opaal Fri 03-Jul-15 09:25:31

Category 2 - nominating www.opaalcopa.org.uk blog

The Older People's Advocacy Alliance is delivering a project called Cancer, Older People and Advocacy, its blog serves to highlight issues facing older people affected by cancer and contains over 200 posts on topics as wide ranging as the emotional impact of a cancer diagnosis, finance and welfare, combatting loneliness, family life and in short the ‘rollercoaster’ experience of living with cancer.

The blog has proved important reading for thousands of visitors and has led to high-impact work including the publication of a book called Every Step of the Way in 2014 which expands on 13 stories of older people affected by cancer accessing peer advocacy support so they are not facing a cancer diagnosis alone.

Our campaign is telling stories that would otherwise not be told, there is a patient/peer support element to this, but crucially there is a wider advocacy and campaigning element that is about amplifying older people’s voices. We are engaged in promoting equal opportunities across cancer treatment pathways, this is about ensuring older people are not discriminated against or treated unfairly because of their age, but we are also starting conversations about good practice that are otherwise not being had, about older LGBT people and cancer for example.

The COPA blog serves as a reminder that older people affected by cancer are not defined by age or by their diagnosis and that our partners and volunteers are with them ‘every step of the way’.

trisher Sat 04-Jul-15 10:44:59

I was seriously considering this and then I thought it is actually b****y condescending. No I can't pick one person for an older character award because there are plenty of actors who appear in all sorts of things and who are fantastic. There's ian Mckellen in Viscious and Mr Holmes, Derek Jacobi in Viscious, Francis de la Tour in it as well. There was Jonathan Pryce as Wolsey in Wolf Hall and loads of others.
I don't need to have ageism promoted in a positive light all my friends are doing it.
And we still have people like Germaine Greer and Joan Bakewell speaking out about many issues.
Can we please just treat older people as ordinary members of the public and stop speaking to them as if they are deaf or brain dead, or giving them condescending special awards. We compete with younger people every day on every level and mostly we win.

jo678 Sat 04-Jul-15 13:16:30

Nominating Category 3 Caron Cares www.caroncares.co.uk/

Caron has a brilliant informative website caring for older people, and she really takes after her name and cares.
What ever you want to know about caring for older people Caron gives expert advice and information. She writes with passion as she has had first-hand experience on caring for the elderly.
My vote goes to Caron Cares