Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Met; Policing London

(13 Posts)
Alea Mon 06-Jul-15 22:04:13

I have really enjoyed this series over the last few weeks. I know our police do not always get things right, sometimes catastrophically wrong, but the patience and good humour of both the bobby on the beat and the Commissioner, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, when faced with nigh-impossible situations, impressed me. Am I reassured about the future of crime-fighting? I wish I could say yes, but drugs, gangs, knives, social inequality and an underclass of disaffected youth make it seem a steep hill to climb.

Nvella Tue 07-Jul-15 00:22:58

Awful story in tonight's episode about the death of the baby. The conditions her children were kept in were horrendous

POGS Tue 07-Jul-15 08:50:36

It is good sometimes to humanise the police as there are so many who will tar and feather them at every opportunity they can get. Always been the case, always will be the case.

Most of the public understand it's a difficult job and it's the only time the public can get any sort of perspective of how challenges arise in a flash and how decisions have to be made in a flash in response through programs such as this.

I like the the 2 policewomen who are crewed up, they have a good attitude and a good crew mate is the best thing you could ever have.

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 09:00:17

Yes it's a good programme.The police are like everyone else, there are good and bad, but there are more good than bad from what I have seen, and our police are much more approachable and friendly than police in any other part of the world that I have come across.They have do deal with awful situations
And often , awful people.They see such sad and depressing things too.

Lilygran Tue 07-Jul-15 10:00:38

Good series, I agree. The main story yesterday was harrowing but it did show the moral conflict police officers have to deal with every day. Nobody in that household seemed to be eating regularly. The mother (sent off to a forced marriage to an abusive husband in a foreign country at 12) was given a suspended sentence. The surviving children are in care. No good outcomes for anyone.

Teetime Tue 07-Jul-15 10:07:09

We have enjoyed this series too and have one left recorded to watch. DH's father was an Inspector in the Met and it was him that gave DH his integrity and character - he is remembered very fondly. flowers

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Tue 07-Jul-15 18:34:51

My FiL was also a Police Officer and although he mainly kept his work to himself there were a few things that my MiL said he had mentioned to her, things regarding children mainly, that really affected him. I felt so sorry for that young girl in last nights programme....I know what she did and I am in no way justifying it....but where was the help for her...still a child herself when she first became pregnant and no sign of any family or indeed anyone...Father (or Fathers! ) left to cope on her own. It was a tragedy waiting to happen. Very sad.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Jul-15 18:43:10

I did wonder where the social workers were. confused

(sorry GN ex-social workers)

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 21:51:24

What does that mean Jingl? do you think that all of us on this thread are ex social workers? how wrong you are in my case.

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 21:52:05

Or did you mean in the TV programme?

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 21:52:46

That's the problem with no face to face chat, just typing!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Jul-15 22:14:59

I meant why weren't there social workers looking after the young mother and her children. But I didn't want to upset any ex-social workers on here by criticising the profession.

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 22:19:19

Ah! That clears it up.