Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Joanna Lumleys Trans Siberian Adventure

(13 Posts)
Tegan Mon 27-Jul-15 18:08:02

Couldn't sleep last night so dipped into this on catchup; ended up watching two episodes last night and the third and final one this afternoon. Was spellbound by it.

TriciaF Mon 27-Jul-15 18:39:55

We watched an episode last night (recorded) about China.
She's such a TV natural, but also seems to be a genuinely good and open person, never judgmental, always seeing the good points. So people respond to her.
Looking forward to the next episode.

POGS Mon 27-Jul-15 20:20:27

Good, easy viewing.

I was amazed when it said Mongolia has to make a decision soon as to whether it trades with China or Russia, because of the track size of the railway, or did I dream that up..confused

She has a charm about her doesn't she. I think it's because she looks the person right in the eye when talking to them and knows how to make a person feel important, special. One could say she is brilliant at captivating her audience by flanneling them up.

This is on the same line as many other travel documentaries, such as the recent Sue Perkins report on the Mekong. Bread and butter program making but none the less enjoyable to watch.

Tegan Mon 27-Jul-15 20:39:50

I don't think they were talking about trading POGS; I think their rail system needs udating and they couldn't decide which system to go for [but it was late at night when I watched it]. I had no idea that the man who owns The Independent was the son of a Russian oliwotsit! Years ago I watched a film/documentary about Mongolia called 'The Story of the Weeping Camel' so it's an area that fascinates me.

merlotgran Mon 27-Jul-15 20:49:41

I posted on another thread this morning before this one was started so I've copied and pasted it:

Joanna Lumley doesn't keep shoving herself in front of the camera and shouting at it like Caroline Quentin and lightly brushed off any discomfort that a lengthy train journey might bring. She knew exactly when to let the breathtaking scenery speak for itself and when to ham up the flirting with whoever was showing her around.

The expression on her face when she realised a small vodka was actually a large tumbler full was priceless.

She looks great for her age as well.

Tegan Mon 27-Jul-15 22:26:04

I thought someone had mentioned the programme previously but couldn't recall who or when!I must admit to spending a lot of time working out how/why she looked so amazing, although she did say at one point that she didn't remove her make up most nights but just slapped on another layer the next day, therefore by the end of the journey she was virtually wearing a mask grin. And how does someone of that age getaway with wearing really dark lipstick confused? She also manages to flirt openly with people without it being even slightly 'ohyoungman'ish'. I didn't watch the series when it started as I sort of though 'oh yes, another Joanna Lumley series..do like them but think I'll give this one a miss'. Might watch it again tomorrow as I have missed bits of it. And, of course she always says goodbye to me when I turn off my pooter at night.

numberplease Tue 28-Jul-15 00:04:49

I loved this series. There was one a while ago where she travelled to see the Northern Lights, that was fascinating as well. One of her many attributes is that she doesn`t look down on people, she talks to anyone as an equal, as it should be, I know, but it doesn`t always happen.

Grandma2213 Tue 28-Jul-15 00:44:47

Compelling viewing I agree. I also loved the Northern Lights programme numberplease. Joanna is an amazing presenter, actress, model and her professionalism shines through. However I thought 'Why don't they make a programme where an 'ordinary person' visits these places and who has never had the opportunity to travel before. I could do that! My joy, amazement and delight would shine through. Even if they decided not to show the programme I would be delighted to volunteer!

Tegan Tue 28-Jul-15 01:45:06

That sounds like An Idiot Abroad grin. I bought the box set after seeing one episode where he was sat on a sofa next to a hippo and couldn't believe what I was seeing confused!

KatyK Tue 28-Jul-15 10:13:05

I loved this series. I think Joanna comes across as very personable and kind.

Elrel Tue 28-Jul-15 10:25:57

Illuminating snapshots of other lives, fascinating programme. I enjoy Michael Portillo's railway journeys and Michael Palin's travels and Joanna Lumley compares well with them. Various friends have mentioned how intelligent, warm and compassionate she is. One did the journey in reverse some years ago. She said how wonderfully the food on the train improved, both in quality and quantity once they crossed the Russian border into Mongolia! A smiling woman produced delicious dishes on a small stove. My friend has had an eventful life and had good memories prompted by the programme. My 'must watch' of the week!

FarNorth Tue 28-Jul-15 10:41:50

POGS it is true that the width of rail track differs in different countries or even regions of one country. In some cases that was done deliberately to make trade between them more difficult, because of the politics of the time.
I didn't see that documentary but you could well be right about the decision to be made by Mongolia.

Tegan Tue 28-Jul-15 13:31:27

We travelled to the south of Italy by train when we worked for the railways, and I was amazed at how generous people were, the further away from home we got. People would open up their bags, produce food and offer to share it with everyone else. I think some of them would have been workers who were travelling home from working abroad.