Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Life in Squares

(20 Posts)
Teetime Fri 31-Jul-15 09:20:56

Is it just me who had to watch this twice to work our who was who? I do like it though.

Lona Fri 31-Jul-15 09:30:07

No, not just you!
I couldn't hear all the dialogue very well but I did enjoy it.

Alea Fri 31-Jul-15 11:46:00

Posh Eastenders ( that revolves around a square too) everybody sha**ing everybody else, only in a very artistic way. grin

I love the Dorothy Parker quote
"Lived in squares, painted in circles, loved in triangles"

J52 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:02:15

They spent WW1 hold up in their country house Charleston avoiding any conflict!

Their paintings are not very good either, in my opinion!

X

absentgrandma Fri 31-Jul-15 13:16:44

Haven't watched the drama but having read VW's literary efforts and listened to/watched/ read lots of stuff about the so-called 'Bloomsbury Set' the only phrase that springs to mind is ....'Pretentious? Moi?'. Or... 'The King's New Clothes'.
I guess there are 21st century examples though..

There was a comedy drama on Radio 4 a while ago which sent the Bloomsbury lot up unmercifully. ...can't remember the title but it was hilarious.

ninathenana Fri 31-Jul-15 15:07:40

I missed it, we had unexpected visitors. The fact I haven't bothered with catch up must mean something smile

Tegan Fri 31-Jul-15 15:26:37

Gloomsbury absent [it was mentioned on the thread about Partners inCrime which had meandered into Life in Squares!]. I hadn't heard of it before but it sounds hilarious.

HildaW Fri 31-Jul-15 16:08:23

Fell flat for me too. I think I was expecting a bit more dramatic light and shade ....all a bit tedious really and I found myself not really caring what happened to any of the characters.

I think this is an example of real life being less interesting than fiction...or at least portrayed in a less interesting way, which seems a bit daft considering they were supposed to be so scandalous.

For a brief minute I though the wonderful Eleanor Bron would lift it up a bit but her character was hardly used.

I have been catching the odd episode of Lord Peter Wimsey...or more correctly Harriet Vane on 'Drama' (if I remember)...its all simply too divine and has me rummaging around in the back of the bookcases for the books to re-read for the umpteenth time.

Atqui Tue 04-Aug-15 13:58:09

I watched the second episode last night, and thought it had a touch of the Jamaica Inns ( very dark and gloomy interiors , but no mumbling). What I can't figure out though , is why they had to change the actors for the older versions of Vanessa , Virginia And Duncan. Surely they could use a bit of make up to age them? Rupert Penry Jones doesn't look anything like the Norton chap and it's very confusing.

HildaW Tue 04-Aug-15 14:36:00

Its definitely confusing....and having given it the benefit of the doubt again, am finding myself in agreement (Gasp!) with AA Gill....its all too 'what's the point'.

whitewave Tue 04-Aug-15 14:44:51

j52 I am with you. I have always tnought that they were somewhat up themselves although I do quite like some of the literature and agree with JMK on his economics!

ninathenana Tue 04-Aug-15 14:50:26

Dull !

Teetime Tue 04-Aug-15 14:50:46

Yes I thought it would be less complicated to use the same actors and 'age' them. I still enjoyed it though mainly as I hanker for such an unconventional life.

Jane10 Tue 04-Aug-15 14:53:31

Gosh. I'd recorded it but think I'll just delete it. Might make some space for some other dramas. Really enjoyed the Lord Peter Wimsey one on recently.

eGJ Tue 04-Aug-15 15:21:49

Like the rest of you I put record on, watched some of the first and gave up. Anyone think it has got any better? It was amazingly expensive to film by all accounts.

Tegan Tue 04-Aug-15 20:08:37

I missed the beginning of last nights episode so got totally confused at the very end when they all aged dramatically [I'm assuming that it had started off with them years later??]. I did find the portrayal of people desperately in love with someone that could never totally be theirs [Vanessa/Duncan and Duncan/the other bloke whose name I've forgotten] very touching #probablyduetomesufferingfromunrequitedlovesomanytimessad.

Luckygirl Tue 04-Aug-15 20:20:10

I made a point of not watching it - self-indulgent poncy lot! - I have never been interested in their lives.

Tegan Tue 04-Aug-15 20:24:30

There was a funny bit where two of the men started fighting with each other and one of the young boys said 'I take it they're not pacifists any more then'.

Lona Tue 04-Aug-15 21:58:35

Well, I tried with the second episode, but I got a phone call and then totally lost the non-existent plot!
I have to admit to only really watching the bits with James Norton. blush

rosesarered Tue 04-Aug-15 22:05:14

Have just downloaded the first and second episode to watch.I will give it the 15 minute test, which we do with all films/TV programmes, then it goes off if we don't like it. life is too short.