Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

who do you think you are

(183 Posts)
Jane10 Thu 13-Aug-15 21:35:13

Well I can't say I was impressed by Paul Hollywood. He was quite rude to his mother I thought -telling her to get new lenses and sort of telling her to get on with it , bring all the papers and not in 18 trips. Then it all seemed a bit self indulgent. Millions of men fought in North Africa and Italy among other places. Maybe I'm in a bad mood but I just wondered how he seems to be such a big star and well aware of it too. Hhhmmm

tanith Thu 13-Aug-15 21:39:49

I am finding it quite boring but still 20 mins to go so maybe it will improve.

annodomini Thu 13-Aug-15 22:07:57

The last quarter hour was worth waiting for. The history of his highland ancestor who was a post runner from the West Highlands rwight across to Dingwall in the East was quite fascinating, or so I thought. What a remarkable man!

merlotgran Thu 13-Aug-15 22:08:50

I thought it was boring as well.

annodomini Thu 13-Aug-15 22:09:18

rwight right

Leticia Thu 13-Aug-15 22:12:08

I didn't think it was one of the most interesting.
However I didn't think he was rude to his mother- it was clear he had a loving, jokey relationship. (At least it was to me).
I didn't know who he was- I had to google him.

durhamjen Thu 13-Aug-15 22:50:06

Anno, my grandson wants to be a postman and likes running. His dad would have to run with him, though, and I am not sure if he would appreciate that.
Pleased the post runner got Sunday off!

PRINTMISS Fri 14-Aug-15 07:33:54

I thought it was a bit hum-drum, like Paul himself, the post runner was very interesting, had no idea that happened.

Lona Fri 14-Aug-15 08:10:14

I think it's usually more interesting when they go much farther back than WW2. The post runner was fascinating.
I don't like Paul H, he seems very full of his own non-existent importance.
IMO.

kittylester Fri 14-Aug-15 08:14:58

Lona and also IMO. grin

felice Fri 14-Aug-15 09:07:29

I quite liked the bit at the beginning when his Brother pointed out a photograph and said 'oh look another photograph in the Paul Shrine', sort of summed it up really.

annodomini Fri 14-Aug-15 09:56:34

durhamjen, the Highlands and Islands were - and in some areas still are - strict Sabbatarians. Working on a Sunday would have been regarded as sinful and I'm sure the poor chap didn't have a lie in, because he would be required to turn up at the kirk, maybe even twice. A hard life!

Luckygirl Fri 14-Aug-15 10:14:24

It was a dull episode, but this programme can be interesting, so I will stick with it. Some of what I heard about Tunisia and Italy was interesting; it certainly made me wonder what my Dad really did in the war. Too late to try asking again now - he always clammed up on the subject.

KatyK Fri 14-Aug-15 10:21:12

Just me then - I quite enjoyed it !

granjura Fri 14-Aug-15 10:27:17

I just love the programme, but didn't enjoy last night- must say I don't like Paul Hollywood much- he was extremely rude to a lovely friend some time ago- really big headed and uncouth- and people in Canterbury remember when he had a bakery there and left owing tons of debts! Even now that he has made so much money through the programmes- he has made no attempt to put this right.

Will continue watching- as I normally find the stories truly gripping and fascinating.

Luckygirl Fri 14-Aug-15 11:11:56

Gareth Malone is going to be on at some point in this series - that might be interesting.

durhamjen Fri 14-Aug-15 11:18:56

Lots of stories in this series about war, escape and migration. It should all be interesting.

henetha Fri 14-Aug-15 11:40:02

It was o.k. but not fantastic. He's not my favourite person although I love Bake off.
I shall watch the rest of the series though as I find it interesting.
I wish the BBC would do my ancestry for me. The few bits I do know seem more fascinating than Paul Hollywood's.

Jane10 Fri 14-Aug-15 12:37:53

Gosh interesting Granjura but somehow not surprising. He does seem full of himself. His poor creditors must watch Bake Off through gritted teeth!

Gagagran Fri 14-Aug-15 12:59:32

I enjoyed it all, if only for the lovely scenery in Tunisia and Scotland. I had no idea Tunisia was so green and pretty. The story of the post runner was fascinating too - I had no idea that was done.

KatyK Fri 14-Aug-15 15:25:09

Isn't it strange how, when you hear something detrimental about a celebrity, you immediately go off them (or is that just me?) Dennis Waterman was rude to my sister in the '70s and no one in our family has liked him since. He is probably very nice!

chelseababy Fri 14-Aug-15 15:50:52

Never been keen on PH but found programme interesting. Used to fancy Dennis Waterman like mad! Didn't he play Just William on tv?

KatyK Fri 14-Aug-15 16:07:03

Yes he did.

Anniebach Fri 14-Aug-15 21:58:10

I am now bored with WW2 would rather they went further back

chelseababy Tue 18-Aug-15 18:34:37

Jane Seymour this week, more WW2 in the Warsaw ghettos. Should go back to Henry VIII really with a name like that!