Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

From Darkness - BBC

(21 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 04-Oct-15 21:25:37

Lovely to see the location is Western Isles (well, in part). So beautiful.

numberplease Sun 04-Oct-15 22:09:17

On of my favourite parts of the world. I enjoyed the programme as well, looking forward to next week.

rosesarered Sun 04-Oct-15 23:41:37

Recorded it to watch tomorrow.

Elrel Tue 27-Oct-15 17:39:56

I stayed with it to the end as I have, since 'Shameless', greatly admired Anne-Marie Duff and thought she could do no wrong. Everyone makes mistakes and in my view this was hers. Great Western Isles location and some good supporting actors.
So many plot holes it could barely stand up and and tortuous development. Very disappointing.

Nanabelle Tue 27-Oct-15 18:30:01

And what an ending!

numberplease Tue 27-Oct-15 21:30:56

I would have enjoyed it more if I could have heard what she was saying, most of the time I couldn`t, and my daughter said the same. No problems with the other actors, so it wasn`t the sound quality at fault.

Tegan Tue 27-Oct-15 22:12:15

Was it the last one? I didn't bother with it last night but might watch it on catchup if I don't have to watch another one.

Nelliemoser Tue 27-Oct-15 22:48:01

IMO Don't bother with catching up. Far too convoluted a storyline I also found it difficult to hear.

Elrel Tue 27-Oct-15 23:08:59

No, don't bother, Tegan, it really didn't improve!

LullyDully Wed 28-Oct-15 00:02:37

A load of old rubbish in the end........and all through.

J52 Wed 28-Oct-15 07:54:43

There were too many close up moody shots of Anne-Marie Duff and characters 'thinking'.

Why do they go into houses without first calling for back up? All a bit unreal IMO.

x

Marmark1 Wed 28-Oct-15 08:22:07

An absolute insult to think we would swallow such drivel,complete bleddy nonsense.

petallus Wed 28-Oct-15 10:44:08

I thought it was ridiculous in parts. Yes, too many moody drawn-out close-ups of Duff. The whole thing could have been edited down to half it's length. The characters were unconvincing caricatures, childish and unpleasant.

And the ending, well! It was a cross between hilarious and irritating.

LullyDully Wed 28-Oct-15 15:40:33

Mostly irritating I fear.

Elrel Thu 29-Oct-15 00:09:44

We're all agreed on that then! I am still watching 'The Unforgotten' with Nicola Walker which I find better though I would like a 'must watch' to come along soon.

Tegan Thu 29-Oct-15 00:47:21

My 'must watch' is Rivers [or River..can never remember which]. And I'm quite taken with The Kennedies [although I don't find it as good as 'Raised by Wolves' which I loved.

numberplease Thu 29-Oct-15 01:16:05

The new series "Cuffs" could turn into a must watch.

Elrel Thu 29-Oct-15 01:44:54

I loved Raised by Wolves and still occasionally refer to my smallest grandchildren as 'the babbies'!
I found the little I watched of River a bit too gory and harrowing.
When I saw the trailer I did wonder whether Cuffs was a documentary for a moment or two, may give it a go!

Happy4me Thu 29-Oct-15 09:47:02

I watched the series From Darkness and that was exactly what it was basically .... the ex policewoman was deeply affected by the murder case of women years ago and as the story unfolded you realised how much she was ... so the ending was very disturbing. Not nice.

Made you think ... very clever but I should have liked her to resume her life with lovely husband and daughter ... no happy ending there sadly.

Elrel Thu 29-Oct-15 11:30:57

But really, we were expected to accept that no one helped the assaulted student in the original 'You lied' incident!

Thanks, Numberplease - Watched 'Cuffs' and will watch again. Great aerial views of Brighton! A lot of characters to get used to and a pile up of incidents but overall definitely watchable.

Elrel Sat 31-Oct-15 01:53:01

I liked Cuffs and finally watched The Kennedys - great! Still giggling at the whale wedding dress! The little girl is very good and the whole thing sooo '70s!