Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

House of Hypochondriacs

(6 Posts)
Teetime Wed 25-Nov-15 15:37:23

I've just watched this programme which was screened yesterday evening. The statistics regarding use of the NHS as a whole by what the programme call 'the worried well' is truly alarming. 2 of the people featured go to the GP everyday. I don't know what the answer is. Is it education?? Do we need to teach people more about how their body works so that they can better recognise health issues and respond more appropriately? Where and when can we teach that given that the school curriculum is already bursting at the seams. It seems that the availability of information via the internet and various health lines has created greater anxiety. I have concerns that when the NHS creates more and more services in response to volume they just get filled up immediately a bit like building roads, the more roads you have the more cars there are. How can we get out of the circle of events?

Pippa000 Wed 25-Nov-15 16:04:44

Here in Cyprus since the financial crises in 2012 we have had to pay 2 Euros ( about £1.59) to see the GP, prescriptions, for everyone ( including pensioners) but not those on benefits, are 50 cents for each item, and to have a blood test etc it is 50 cents for each one. I have no objection to paying a fee to see the GP, perhaps this would stop people not turning up. We have seen a drop in needless visits to the Doctor and strangely enough very few people complaining and having to go without. (We buy stamps at the post office and present these to the relevant receptionist)

There may also be the opportunity to educate everyone to the fact that the UK health service is not free, everyone pays in their taxes, those that pay taxes that is, and unless the mindset changes then I can see some selective treatments being rationed or even taken of the list of those available. The local pharmacists in UK and here in Cyprus are excellent for minor ailments and should be used more often in my humble opinion.

Stansgran Wed 25-Nov-15 16:23:38

What was the programme called?

Stansgran Wed 25-Nov-15 16:26:02

Sorry ,just saw the title? What channel please?

shysal Wed 25-Nov-15 16:38:52

It was on Channel 4 last night, repeated tonight at midnight on channel 4seven. I recorded it but haven't viewed it yet. I will try to find time tonight. I am always reluctant to visit my GP, but do consult Dr Google from time to time. I am sure that is a bad idea for hypochondriacs!

Teetime Wed 25-Nov-15 17:28:16

Yes they were warned against the dangers of Dr Google.