Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dickensian

(193 Posts)
Gagagran Thu 07-Jan-16 20:47:12

I really think this is so good a series that it deserves a thread of its own despite being mentioned in passing in another thread.

Everything about it is excellent from the costumes, the scenery and dialogue. Above all though is the perfectly cast characters - all of whom seem to look exactly as they should! I think Inspector Bucket is my special favourite but all of them have the faces and bearing and delivery of the lines exactly as they should have.

The clever knitting together of so many Dickens' characters is brilliant and I shall be so sorry when it ends. I think the great man himself would be very pleased if only he could see it.

Tegan Thu 07-Jan-16 20:56:14

Agreed. My only problem with it is never quite getting to grips with when it's on. I think that cad who is after Hiss Havisham is quite gorgeous; he's been in something else but I can't figure out what it was.

Tegan Thu 07-Jan-16 20:57:20

...and, of course, if Dickens was alive now he'd be writing for one of the soaps....

durhamjen Thu 07-Jan-16 20:57:36

I am enjoying it, too. However, I recorded it to see if it would be a good introduction to Dickens for my 13 year old grandson.
I think not. Far too complicated. I wouldn't fancy explaining what happened to Nancy at the hands of Jacob Marley, either.

feetlebaum Fri 08-Jan-16 08:09:12

I'm recording the whole stack... please tell me Little Nell doesn't get a lookin - I found myself unable to finish The Old Curiosity Shop because of my loathing for Little Nell... I think I left her wetly swanning around being pious in a churchyard...

Pittcity Fri 08-Jan-16 08:15:54

There was an earlier thread on this
I am still catching up but am enjoying it.

Tegan Fri 08-Jan-16 11:51:57

So, unlike everyone else you would have been stood at the docks in America shouting to incoming ships 'is Little Nell dead' and would be the only one hoping that she was. Shame on you, sir!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-Jan-16 12:23:29

I have never encountered a sexy Scrooge before. wink

LullyDully Fri 08-Jan-16 18:35:44

Last year I made it my business to read a few of the Dickensian novels which I knew from films and dramas but hadn't read.
Oliver Twist and A Tale of 2 Cities were wonderful.

However feetlebaum I must agree with you about The Old Curiosity Shop...a very sentimental load of twaddle.But one out of so many jewels is ok I suppose.

I am enjoying the Dickensian once I worked out all the characters were being mixed up from different books. As it is Christmas Eve in the drama I am waiting for the Ghosts to help solve the murder.

rosesarered Fri 08-Jan-16 18:41:46

somebody ( Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde?) said' you would have to have a heart of stone not to laugh at the death of Little Nell.'?

rosesarered Fri 08-Jan-16 18:42:33

I am loving Dickensian, it's very cleverly done, with great acting all round.

Tegan Fri 08-Jan-16 19:21:59

What happened at the end of last nights episode? I'm scared of heights so I left the room....shock...

rosesarered Fri 08-Jan-16 19:45:27

The cousin was enticed to jump between rooftops, all icy, and the dastardly one had loosened the edge,so that the cousin fell, but clung on and yelled for help.Young Haversham also yelled out to Comperson to save the cousin, so with reluctance, dastardly one saved the cousin, thus earning his undying love and devotion!

katie1 Fri 08-Jan-16 19:51:35

I think it is excellent, Inspector Bucket is so good! I don't recognise him, does anyone know what he has been in before?

HildaW Fri 08-Jan-16 20:03:33

Inspector Bucket was in Bleak House played beautifully by Alan Armstrong.

My problem is that I know the plots too well and know who is going to end up in trouble.

rosesarered Fri 08-Jan-16 20:05:06

Anyone feel sorry for Mr Bumble? ?

Gagagran Fri 08-Jan-16 20:09:47

I am loving Pauline Collins as Mrs Gamp! Didn't recognise her at first but she is proving what an excellent actor she is. I like Fagin too and I even managed to forget Ron Moody's Fagin (brilliant) whilst watching this one!

Tegan Fri 08-Jan-16 20:12:52

Pauline Collins is a joy to watch; a real scene stealer.

katie1 Fri 08-Jan-16 20:24:01

Thank you HildaW, Alan Armstrong is very good playing any character. I wondered what the actor who plays Inspector Bucket has been in? Yes, I feel sorry for Mr Bumble, trying very hard to please Mrs Bumble and getting it wrong....

durhamjen Fri 08-Jan-16 22:27:25

Inspector Bucket is Stephen Rea.

durhamjen Fri 08-Jan-16 22:33:32

He's actually in War And Peace as well. He was in Michael Collins and the Crying Game ages ago. He was also Richelieu in the Musketeer, quite scary.

Greenockgran Sat 09-Jan-16 00:22:25

I love this. I am a Charles Dickens fan, and I thought it would be poor, but hats off to the BBC for making such an enjoyable programme.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 09-Jan-16 01:15:04

It's very cleverly done and the best thing on TV at the moment. I just wish the BBC would stop changing the time it's on. There's lots of episodes to go yet, so I hope it will settle in to a routine soon.

Stephen Rea is great, but so many characters are, especially when the focus is on them. Pauline Collins is superb, as is Robert Wilfort as Bob Cratchitt and Christopher Fairbanks as Silas Wegg. And Ellie Haddington as Fanny Biggetywitch really gives me the creeps! grin

Topnotch cast. wink

cornergran Sat 09-Jan-16 05:42:46

Love it. A rarity in that DH also enjoys it so one we watch together. smile

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 09-Jan-16 13:53:03

I agree. Period Drama is on a par with Romantic Comedy for my DH, but he's enjoying Dickensian. grin