Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A Place to Call Home - BBC 2

(88 Posts)
Grannyknot Fri 05-Feb-16 15:43:12

My life has been really busy and now I've hit a bit of a quiet stretch, which is bliss. So I've become hooked on this Australian show every day (I think, I have it on series record). It's one of those sprawling (wealthy) family sagas full of simmering passions, hidden secrets and all the rest, complete with a matriarch running the show (of course!)

Am really enjoying the beautiful settings and the main location, a beautiful mansion out in Australian bush somewhere. It is set in the 1950s.

Am I the only one watching it? grin

ninathenana Fri 05-Feb-16 16:28:31

No, your not Grannyknot I'm hooked too.
Although in MHO the architecture of the mansion is far from beautiful grin and the plot a bit predictable but who cares !
I believe when the first episode of this series was shown they said it was a rerun but I hadn't heard of it.

Grannyknot Fri 05-Feb-16 16:42:45

nina what don't you like about the house? It's gorgeous with all those verandahs. smile

Luckygirl Fri 05-Feb-16 16:53:08

I am not sure I could cope with "simmering passion" in the daytime!

Grannyknot Fri 05-Feb-16 17:08:56

The passion on-screen is also in the daytime lucky think sun-drenched afternoons on a glorious river bank, an Italian farmhand, and forbidden love sunshine

But there's more to the story than that! smile

pollyparrot Fri 05-Feb-16 17:11:47

I watched this last year and these are repeats. When I saw it was on again I was very excited because I thought it was a new series. I really enjoyed it, it gets better and better. Enjoy.

J52 Fri 05-Feb-16 17:19:51

I came across it by chance whilst having a lazy afternoon, escaping from storm Frank.

Well I'm hooked! But I have to watch it on I player as I often miss the programme. Although it's a bit 'soapy' some of the character acting is good.

I like spotting the Sydney landmarks and the way it ends with a cliffhanger.

x

ninathenana Sat 06-Feb-16 00:26:46

grannyknot It has no symmetry, it looks like the architect picked bits from several houses and stuck them together.

Grannyknot Sat 06-Feb-16 07:08:16

Oh, that's smile nina that's just what I like about the house!

Husband's gone off to an early game of golf, it's still dark, so I am off to the couch with my cup of tea for more catch up.

Judthepud2 Sat 06-Feb-16 10:08:01

Oh yes! I was laid up last week with a nasty virus and discovered this on iPlayer. Totally hooked. The acting is brilliant especially the old mother. Apparently there is a 3rd series to air soon but 1 and 2 are being rerun now.

Grannyknot Sat 06-Feb-16 11:15:14

Oh Yay there's a Series 2!

I love the mother, she is practically a caricature. Very much "of the times".

ninathenana Sat 06-Feb-16 16:06:44

Yes, I have just read that Grannyknot grin

smile re the house, one man's meat.......

grannylyn65 Sat 06-Feb-16 16:22:37

thanks folks am downloading as we post!!

Margsus Sat 06-Feb-16 17:24:10

I love this programme, discovered episode 3 by chance, enjoyed it so downloaded episodes 1 and 2 and now like everyone else I'm hooked! Apparently series 3 is due to air at the end of the month.

Not sure I like the character of Olivia, she's supposed to be an "English rose" who is being played by an Australian actress and she hasn't got the accent quite right, and I find it irritating. Just nitpicking......

Grannyknot Sat 06-Feb-16 18:13:25

margsus is that what it is! I also find her annoying.

Where will I find Series 2? Or is the repeat of that still coming?

Margsus Sat 06-Feb-16 18:35:25

According to my Sky TV guide, episode 1 of Series 2 follows the day after the final episode of Series 1.

Grannyknot, her tones are just too clipped! Bet you'll look out for it now.....

Judthepud2 Sat 06-Feb-16 20:00:00

Clipped tones because I think she is supposed to be an aristocrat. I can sympathise. She has been very hard done by.

IMO the mother is a wonderful character. Very rounded. We keep getting glimpses of her vulnerable side in spite of her being such a targe.

Jane10 Sat 06-Feb-16 20:48:52

Sounds great. I'm missing Dr Blake so another Aussie 1950s prog will be lovely. Must look out for it.

Jalima Sun 07-Feb-16 09:57:26

I watched this in Australia and loved it, so I must try to find out where we are up to in the UK as I had to leave it part-way through.

Noni Hazlehurst plays a great part as the matriarch, I didn't recognise her at all.
She used to be in 'The Sullivans' in the 1970s, another good Australian series on UK tv.
And she used to present Playschool!

grannylyn65 Sun 07-Feb-16 10:59:10

Have just started to watch and am enjoying it, have about 6 episodes recorded. Just as well I haven't got a life!!grin

ninathenana Sun 07-Feb-16 11:15:49

Jalima thanks for solving that little mystery smile I wondered where I'd seen Noni before.

Jalima Sun 07-Feb-16 12:25:17

I think she presented Playschool in Australia and also made a very rude grin film (YouTube) about getting a small child to sleep ..... in the style of Playschool presentation!!
But the Sullivans was on over here

Well, of course, they all had lives in the 1950s grin before GN - or computers!

Mamie Sun 07-Feb-16 14:01:08

Yes I have been watching it in Spain when I had had enough of sitting on the balcony in the sunshine (where were you GrannyKnot?).
Enjoyable but a bit ponderous sometimes?. Have also been watching The Pallisers, which has stood the test of time I think.

Grannyknot Sun 07-Feb-16 16:23:15

Hi Mamie! smile Freezing in London, that's where! :P But we are off to Palma on the 3rd March for 10 days. I'm half-joking though about being cold - this winter has been an absolute doddle. I've faithfully been on the Vit D tabs too so maybe that's helped. I've been talking about our Fuengirola meetup, now so long ago, on the London meetup thread ...have fun in Spain.

I agree A Place Called Home gets a bit ponderous sometimes (husband flees) and is not exactly gripping, but still enjoyable enough. It was taken up a notch in the episode I watched this afternoon - I've now caught up and will see the new episode tomorrow. They played some songs in today's episode that my mother used to sing "You Belong to Me" and others. Lovely.

Mamie Sun 07-Feb-16 16:40:27

I missed the last episode as we have been driving the length of Spain and France!
I enjoyed the afternoon run of The Pallisers, Who Do You Think You Are and A Place Called Home. Now have to catch-up on four weeks of Spin (with the lovely Gregory Fitoussi), Shetland, Death in Paradise and Endeavour.
We went to Fuengirola a couple of times and stocked up in Iceland (lots of trips to Malaga market as well). The weather has been lovely, warm and without the cold wind that you sometimes get.
sunshine