Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

MONTALBANO

(51 Posts)
gangy5 Sat 06-Feb-16 17:36:12

For Montalbano fans -incase you miss it, there is a documentary . tomorrow - BBC4 at 9pm. about the programme and author Andrea Camilleri.
I have been very disappointed with the second series of the Young Montalbano as there's been very little of the Sicilian scenery and the sub titles seem more difficult to keep up with.

granjura Sat 06-Feb-16 17:42:05

Thanks for that- we are huge fans of Montalbano. We went to Sicily last year to visit all the sites, and rented a villa in the countryside behind the famous brick factory, and walked on that beach many times. We spent 2 weeks there, starting in Syracuse and finishing in Agrigento and then Catania.

One day we went to Punta Secca, where his house is- and it was all taped off- walked round ba the beach and there was Montalbano (the first one), in his swimsuit on the balcony ready to film a scene. What fun. Scicli, Noto, Ragusa, Modica- we visited them all- and it makes watching even more enjoyable as we recognise all the locations. Fabulous.

Off to Sicily again for DH's 70th BD mid March- with sil and bil from the UK. This time to the Taormina area.

granjura Sat 06-Feb-16 20:34:51

Will hve to tape it as we can't miss War and Peace final episode ;)

Luckygirl Sat 06-Feb-16 22:58:48

SPOILER ALERT for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Cease to read NOW!

OK - so, have I got this right? Montalbano was about to set off for Genoa when for some reason he detoured to Vigata and found the streets deserted because of some mafia atrocities....so he decided to stay put so that he could investigate. Is that it?

Badenkate Sat 06-Feb-16 23:39:04

Yes Luckygirl. It was an anti-mafia judge called Giovanni Falcone. He'd fought for a long time to bring the mafia under control. Even worse, a few months later his friend who had worked with him was also killed.

Nana3 Sat 06-Feb-16 23:56:11

Falcone was murdered on a stretch of motorway near Palermo. It's not possible that Montalbano could investigate, he's in the south. It was too tragic and real for a fictional character to become involved so soon.
Palermo airport is now named Falcone.

granjura Sun 07-Feb-16 09:28:29

Yes you got it- but as Montalbano is in Scicli in the South East of the Island, and Palermo is right the other side, North West- so no way would he be involved directly- although I imagine all the forces on the Island would work together on such a diabolical case.

The South-East where Scicli is is called 'Baroque Sicily' as the whole area was destroyed by an earthquake at the end of the 18th century and rebuilt in the baroque style, all in stone. It is very beautiful.

granjura Sun 07-Feb-16 09:34:43

About 250 miles cross country and about 4hrs for journey between the 2.

Badenkate Sun 07-Feb-16 09:42:40

We're going to Sicily in May and staying on the eastern side. Granjura, you sound as though you know the area - any recommendations. We will, of course, visit Montalbanno country!

granjura Sun 07-Feb-16 10:01:09

We just love the Island- 2 years ago, DH and I flew to CAtania then drove up past Taormina, where we had lunch and a stroll, then up and around to the West, and stayed in a lovely Hôtel near wonderful, Norman, Cefalu for a few days, then on to the far Western tip and visited that whole area, and then back to Cefalu for a few days, and down cross country back to Catania, making stops at old Byzantine sites.

Last year we went with sil and bil from UK- again flew to Catania, then a few days in wonderul Ortigia, the small historic peninsula off Syracuse, then rented a villa in the countryside near Sampieri (where the old derelict factory is- we often see in Montalbano) and visited all the baroque towns, Noto, Ragusa, Modica, Scicli and of course Punta Secca, where he 'lives' (Marinello/Vigata in the book), and then along the coast to stay for a few days in AGrigento, and visit the valley of the Temples, and further along to walk in the countryside and see the amazing flowers.

This year, as said, joining them again, but will stay just one week in the Taormina area and not do as much travelling.

So fire away for advice- First question, will you be hiring a car and travel- or want to go and stay in one area, without a car, and go on a few guided tours. Just depends. Both Syracuse and Taormina are easily reached from Catania airport by train or bus or even Hôtel transfer. If you intend to go to Taormina, ask me again when we return- and I'll know more about it by then- and tell yu about our Hôtel and transfers, etc. Just depends what you want. Taormina has 2 parts, the historic town, up the hill, and the beach resort, along the coast below.

granjura Sun 07-Feb-16 10:02:30

However, if you want to visit Montalbano country, much better to stay in Syracuse or Ortigia- as it is much closer for day trips. Can't be done from Taormina or even Catania.

Badenkate Sun 07-Feb-16 10:41:57

Thanks granjura. We're just going for a taster week as we've got lots of other things on this year. We're renting an apartment in Letojanni near Taormina, and renting a car for the week. That's sort of as far as we've got for the moment - apart from nightmares about steps! So any advice/ suggestions woukd be gratefully received.

granjura Sun 07-Feb-16 11:32:00

Will have to look at Letojanni- it does not ring a bell.

But yes, visitng those Montalbano cities is not easy due to steps- 1000s of them in Modica for instance, from the street below where the famous chocolate shop is up to the Cathedral! But Scicli where the Police station is, with a lovely little restaurant opposite- is all on the flat. But as said, not very close to Taormina, so quite a drive for a day trip.

As said, our only visit to Taormina 2 years ago was fleeting, just for half a day on our way to Cefalu and beyond- but mid-March we will visit all the sites in that part of Sicily and not even attempt to go beyond- as we are there to rest before my big knee op (and for DH's 7oth) - our next holiday we will go to Palermo and stay there and visit that area only, and take boat trips to the Islands.

granjura Sun 07-Feb-16 11:40:28

OK, I see Letojanni is just North of Taormina. So to Scicli quite a drive, about 150miles and 2h30 mins each way- so not ideal for Montalbano country. If you want me to check anything in Letojanni when we are there mid-March, just ask.

granjura Sun 07-Feb-16 11:45:23

Hopefully we can exchange info later on as well- would love to know about the appartment. We intend to visit Sicily regularly as we so love it there.

granjura Sun 07-Feb-16 13:17:40

Just checked so we can tape it - be careful it is at 7pm UK time, not 9pm- I'd hate you to miss it.

Stansgran Sun 07-Feb-16 14:09:11

I did wonder how they were going to keep Montalbano in Sicily . A sad ending with the Falcone murder.

gangy5 Sun 07-Feb-16 15:59:21

Yes thankyou granjura I made a mistake - it is at 7pm this evening!!

rosesarered Sun 07-Feb-16 19:40:12

I like the Young Montalbano series, but on the whole prefer the middle aged Montalbano series, interesting to see the younger characters though, and you can see the young Fazio will be exactly like the older one in time, ditto most of the other characters too.Montalbano himself however is taller, thinner and has a mop of curls, his skin colour is lighter too!

rosesarered Sun 07-Feb-16 19:41:28

It always feels like having a little holiday in sun drenched Sicily watching the tale unfold, I love it.

Luckygirl Sun 07-Feb-16 19:51:06

But he is equally bandy! - they must have scoured Italy for a bandy young actor.

Personally, between you and me and a few hundred Gransnetters, I think the young Montalbano is a bit of a dish and he can examine my case any day he wants! grin

TriciaF Sun 07-Feb-16 20:29:20

Did anyone watch the interview with Andrea Camilleri, the author of the Montalbano books? 7pm on BBC4.
He's 88 now and still very lucid and interesting.
He spoke about the story behind the new series, not sure when it will be screened here, but the hints he gave were tantalising.

Bellanonna Mon 08-Feb-16 00:28:01

Yes, enjoyed the Camilleri interview greatly. Luckygirl I'm with you on that one - he's a real dish isn't he ! But in a different way, so was Luca Zingaretti. Incredible how they found two bow-legged actors - I wonder if that was one of the criteria?
Who cares, I love em both. I dim the lights and we sit back for nearly two hours of Sicilian magic. I'm going to have a Montalbano-shaped hole in my Saturday nights now sad

Deedaa Mon 08-Feb-16 22:20:11

Very interesting interview. I love both of them and if you add the sicilian sun it's absolute perfection on a cold winter Saturday. sunshine

gangy5 Wed 10-Feb-16 19:12:30

Agree with all the above!! My favourite series with the added plus of sunshine!