Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Happy Valley Series 2

(336 Posts)
Atqui Mon 08-Feb-16 11:15:03

I watched the first series because it was compulsive viewing, but found it v disturbing. Now I'm thinking, Do I watch the next, or leave it alone? Out of interest ,does anyone else share that view.

Alima Mon 08-Feb-16 11:45:31

This is one of my favourite programmes and I cannot wait for series 2. I can understand how some people could find it disturbing, there were some gruesome scenes in the first series and from the trailers there will be more of them to come. I am not going to be much help to you Atqui, except to say maybe you could watch (or not) on I player after the initial showing and see what is said about each episode.

POGS Mon 08-Feb-16 11:47:37

The 1st series was excellent. Sarah Lancashire and James Norton are brilliant actors and whilst the story line may be for some disturbing it however reflects true life. It is a drama and doesn't pretend to be anything other than hard hitting.

I guess it's a case of personal choice Atqui but I am looking forward to this 2nd series I just hope it lives up to the quality of script and acting series 1 provided.

Atqui Mon 08-Feb-16 11:54:23

It's amazing how versatile James Norton is isn't it? Yes I just have to decide if I'm going to be a wimp or not. There was a similarly disturbing drama about a bereavement counsellor who preyed on young women who lived alone. Another compelling series but I opted out of the second series. Shame because I wanted to see him caught !!

Pittcity Mon 08-Feb-16 11:59:38

I am really looking forward to it, just my sort of programme!

ninathenana Mon 08-Feb-16 12:08:15

Love it.

Luckygirl Mon 08-Feb-16 12:20:41

I have never watched it but was planning to start as I think Sarah Lancashire is a good actress.

POGS Mon 08-Feb-16 12:50:09

Just an opinion but you might new to watch series 1 first as there is, I would think, a strong continuity of the story line.

Iam64 Mon 08-Feb-16 13:09:00

I loved it despite the disturbing scenes of violence. It's filmed not far from where we live and I love the scenery. Sarah Lancashire is a brilliant actor and the rest of the cast are also very good. I'll be watching

Caramac Mon 08-Feb-16 13:12:37

I am really looking forward to this second series as I did enjoy the first. I agree some disturbing scenes but realistic unfortunately.
I watched the first episode of Ripper Street which was about (apparently) the first ever 'snuff movie'. I found that so disturbing (and I'm usually fine with 'dark' stuff) that I have never watched another episode.
I agree that maybe look at reviews first and catch up on iplayer if you think it's okay but it's possible the disturbing scenes won't happen until later in the series as the storyline develops/unfolds.

merlotgran Mon 08-Feb-16 13:21:39

Loved the first series. Looking forward to the second one.

merlotgran Tue 09-Feb-16 22:01:00

Got off to a cracking good start.

TerriBull Tue 09-Feb-16 22:02:09

Very good, can't wait till next week!

ninathenana Tue 09-Feb-16 22:02:20

How good was that !

tanith Tue 09-Feb-16 22:03:42

Well that's the first time I've watched it and I was very impressed. Certainly be watching again.
Can someone just tell me why the sisters live together and who the young lad belongs to? I'll have to read up on the first series.

Ana Tue 09-Feb-16 22:07:59

Gripping from the start. Switched over before the trailer for the next episode because I don't want to know!

ninathenana Tue 09-Feb-16 22:08:20

The boy is the result of Sarah's daughter's rape, the daughter committed suicide.
I can't remember the details of why the sisters live together other than convenience.

Alima Tue 09-Feb-16 22:16:04

That's what television should be like, BBC at its best, excellent.

TerriBull Tue 09-Feb-16 22:16:55

Not sure who the person Catherine's sister was visiting in hospital. Catherine's sister is a recovering alcoholic I think. Isn't the grandson also the son of Prince Andrei reincarnated as a very bad man who raped Catherine's late daughter?

merlotgran Tue 09-Feb-16 22:17:20

I think the sister is a recovering alcoholic.

tanith Tue 09-Feb-16 22:18:24

Thanks all...

merlotgran Tue 09-Feb-16 22:18:49

Ha Ha, Terribull. He's also a lovely mild mannered vicar from Grantchester. grin

Thebeeb Tue 09-Feb-16 22:21:23

Found Sarah Lancashire very muffled and hard work to understand. Spoilt it a bit but wasn't a great lover of the first series.

TerriBull Tue 09-Feb-16 22:23:40

So he's on his third life then, losing status all the time, at this rate by his 6th or 7th life he'll be something equivalent to a worm grin

Marmark1 Tue 09-Feb-16 22:36:36

If that's real life then God help us.I must live in cloud cookoo land.they talked too fast and mumbled most of the time.and Sarah Lancasters character is Bleddy awful.