Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Home Fires

(138 Posts)
Parsleywin Mon 04-Apr-16 16:47:47

Is anyone watching Home Fires Series 2 which started on 3 April?

I didn't see any of the first series so am not sure whether to forget it and just join in now - or would anyone recommend getting hold of Series 1 first? If the programme is any good I'd prefer to enjoy the lot from the beginning. Thanks.

Coolgran65 Mon 04-Apr-16 16:49:29

I love it, quite a bit of the story line does come through from the previous series. It would do no harm to watch it and you'd thoroughly enjoy it.

tanith Mon 04-Apr-16 17:03:20

Haven't watched last nights yet but really loved this series and I say stick with it and if you can watch the first series. As Coolgran says it will make a lot of sense of what is going to happen in this series.

ninathenana Mon 04-Apr-16 17:11:52

Poo !
I forgot to record it, we watched the new series on BBC. catch up it is then smile

merlotgran Mon 04-Apr-16 17:12:19

I loved the first series so was glad to see it back again. I shouldn't think it would be too difficult to pick up.

mollie Mon 04-Apr-16 17:15:10

I've just watched the first episode of series 2 and am hooked. Didn't get round to seeing series 1 but I think I'll wait and catch up later ... I've a habit of watching things in the wrong order but it probably won't matter here...

Greyduster Mon 04-Apr-16 18:47:32

I enjoyed it when I'd managed to recall most of what happened in series one. They should do a synopsis.

Indinana Mon 04-Apr-16 20:42:50

Have been looking forward to this second series for ages. Last night's opening episode did not disappoint!

And yes, parsleywin I think it would be an idea to get hold of the first series and get this lot recorded for later.

NanaandGrampy Mon 04-Apr-16 20:46:50

We loved series 1 , well worth a watch. Looking forward to watching our recording tonight.

Deedaa Mon 04-Apr-16 21:46:24

Glad this is back, I did enjoy the first series.

Parsleywin Mon 04-Apr-16 21:52:34

Thanks for your responses everyone!

I've done as you suggested Indinana, and ordered Series 1 on DVD. Like Julie Andrews I'll start at the very beginning... smile

Looking forward to getting stuck in to a new series now!

Luckylegs9 Mon 04-Apr-16 22:12:24

Love this series.

rubysong Mon 04-Apr-16 23:00:41

We watched it and enjoyed it but were surprised to see the RAF chap with a full beard. The Navy can have beards, the RAF would have gone for a moustache, they weren't allowed beards (and still aren't as far as I know). Sorry to be pedantic but they really should get these things right (DH is ex Navy.)

Deedaa Tue 05-Apr-16 22:02:57

He didn't have the beard in the first series did he? My father came home from the RAF to get married having grown a moustache. My mother told him that if he turned up at the church with the moustache she would walk straight out. It wasn't till after the wedding that she realised she'd been so nervous that she hadn't noticed whether he'd shaved it off (He had grin )

nigglynellie Tue 26-Apr-16 17:34:29

I'm beginning to fear for Pat, Bob will stop at nothing to discredit her, and I can't see any good coming out of her affair . Little boy isn't going to disappear over night and there's something funny about the WI chairlady's husband! I'm so glad this series is back!!!!!!

Deedaa Tue 26-Apr-16 21:15:51

Love this series. It seems very reminiscent of my mother's war time stories.

Jalima Tue 26-Apr-16 21:25:46

It's on ITV, isn't it?
I missed two episodes and their catch-up is hopeless, so I have had to try and pick it up.

The Navy can have beards, the RAF would have gone for a moustache, they weren't allowed beards (and still aren't as far as I know). Sorry to be pedantic but they really should get these things right (DH is ex Navy.)

You're right, rubysong; we have an ex RAF friend (in his 80s) who still has his moustache and DH (ex RN) had a 'full set' and still would if I let him.
The Army are allowed beards only if: they are Sikh, if they are Special Forces or Commando. They are allowed a moustache.

BBbevan Wed 27-Apr-16 08:40:20

Please please can there be a happy ending for Pat.

Jane10 Wed 27-Apr-16 08:50:16

I'm really not enjoying this series as much. Don't know quite why but I just don't warm to any of the characters.

Marelli Wed 27-Apr-16 10:28:23

And the doctor commented at the end of the First Aid training session that he would be teaching mouth-to-mouth resuscitation at the next session. This wasn't used until at least 1960.
I do like the series, though.

Indinana Wed 27-Apr-16 10:51:45

Another one here who's hoping for a happy ending for Pat! I think she's possibly starting to stand up to Bob a bit more though - perhaps meeting her Czech lover has given her more confidence, a greater feeling of self-worth. I do hope that's the way the story line is going!

Glad to see you've ordered the first series Parsleywin. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Jane10 Wed 27-Apr-16 11:02:30

I find Pat really annoying and her husband is a sort of pantomime bad guy. Not convinced by that storyline at all.

nigglynellie Wed 27-Apr-16 16:27:42

I think Pats husband i.e. a typical fireside tyrant. I can't quite see how else Pat could behave in those days in this situation as she can't leave, where would she go? In 1940 she'd have been the subject of gossip, and Bob the injured party. I think Bob is going to use more subtle methods of ruining her relationship with Marek (spelling?) Marek speaks fluent German, maybe some mischief can be orchestrated by this if Bob finds out?! He won't kick Pat out of the house as he he needs a slave, but he'll find some way to destroy her life. I love it, but then I'm a simple soul!!!!

nigglynellie Wed 27-Apr-16 16:29:24

'is' not i.e. !!!!!!

merlotgran Wed 27-Apr-16 16:34:30

I do hope we're not going to get any more dramas highlighting domestic abuse.

I haven't had time to recover from The Archers on a Sunday night before Home Fires has me worried about Pat.