Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Which telly family is most like yours, or which one would you like it to be?

(34 Posts)
Daddima Sat 30-Apr-16 12:00:58

I was just watching the Darling Buds of May there, and could see myself as Ma Larkin! I like how there's always plenty of food and drink to be had.
I remember how we laughed at the Royle Family when Jim was going through the phone bill, scrutinising every call, as that was one of the Bodach's favourite pastimes when we had a house full of teenagers.

So, which one are you, the Waltons? The Simpsons? The Durrells?

carerof123 Sat 30-Apr-16 12:06:12

The Darling Buds of May is a program i can watch over and over again.

Ma Larkin is so like my mum was in her younger days, always in the kitchen feeding everyone, plump, dark haired, beautiful to look at and in her ways, it is very emotive when i watch .

Marelli Sat 30-Apr-16 12:06:56

Oor Bodach (like it, Daddima - shades of Lillian Beckwith's books!) resembles Jim Royle in lots of ways... shock!
I don't think there IS a TV family that is like ours, actually ... hmm

Marelli Sat 30-Apr-16 12:08:09

Perhaps the Simpsons, though....!

mollie Sat 30-Apr-16 12:56:30

If we get together with my family at Christmas we are definately the Royle family with everyone lined up on the sofa mindlessly staring at the TV and making daft comments. Otherwise, I think OH and I are more like the couple in One Foot in the Grave - one eye on the TV, the other on a crossword or newspaper and lots of sarcastic comments...lol!

BBbevan Sat 30-Apr-16 14:04:11

My daughter always calls us Howard and Hilda after that couple in Ever Decreasing Circles ! !

morethan2 Sat 30-Apr-16 14:40:21

A cross between Mrs browns boys and the royal family. I kid you not. It's the Irish and Liverpudlian mix that's done it.wink

Teetime Sat 30-Apr-16 15:58:41

The Ma Larking in me definitely comes out at Xmas and family parties but we are The Addams Family (sorry movie not TV although we may be heading towards the family in Flowers). I was always Morticia deadly sexy and mysterious but DD1 has taken this over and her DH is definitely Gomez sleezing around her. I am now Mad Nanna in the basement cooking up strange potions with kale etc. DH is Lurch, lugubrious and brooding. My Sister is Debbie the murderous SIL always threatening to kill her DH who is half Hungarian and promises to 'run with creatures of the night'. Shall I go on probably not! grin

When my sisters son was born and I babysat him I returned him to her with a moustache (eye pencil) and a parting ala Pubert the latest Addams baby.

Floradora9 Sat 30-Apr-16 16:57:35

I really felt we were the family in Butterflies that lovely series with Jeffery Palmer . I could sympathise with Ria over her cooking and her feeling the boys were on a different planet from the parents.

f77ms Sat 30-Apr-16 17:08:28

That is so funny Teetime . Mad nana in the basement lol .
We are like Kevins family in Kevin and Perry , especially my similarity to the Mum always trying to see the good in her monosyllabic son .

Greyduster Sat 30-Apr-16 17:43:49

The way DH is behaving with regard to the EU referendum debate and the dismal performance of his football team, I think I would have to be the long suffering wife in the Garnett family (gawd help me!) - someone rescue me PLEEESE!!!

ninathenana Sat 30-Apr-16 18:03:39

Just asked D and she said we're too boring they'd never make a programme about a family like us sad

KatyK Sat 30-Apr-16 18:20:01

We always say we should be on Gogglebox. We are always shouting at the TV and some of the comments the families make are exactly the same things that we say.

TriciaF Sat 30-Apr-16 21:47:54

Not now, but when the children were at home we were a bit like the family in Outnumbered - I loved that series.

rubylady Sun 01-May-16 05:41:34

Catherine Tate's "gran", lol. grin

thuberon Sun 01-May-16 08:39:24

Ha that's easy. I am Mrs Doyle stuck on the island with Father Jack and Dougal. (Ted is on holiday)

vivien62 Sun 01-May-16 08:48:54

Easy everyone tells me im patsy in ab fab

netgran Sun 01-May-16 09:35:02

One foot in the grave!!

omajane Sun 01-May-16 09:43:03

When my son was little he used to say proudly that we were the Roseanne family.

Nelliemoser Sun 01-May-16 10:16:32

My OH is certainly a "One foot in the grave" type. A miserable grump. I would have to think about what I am.

AyjayF Sun 01-May-16 10:22:32

Raised by Wolves!

lizzypopbottle Sun 01-May-16 10:23:10

ninathenana I'm with you on this one. No one would watch us!

harrigran Sun 01-May-16 10:28:51

Definitely the Meldrews.

vickya Sun 01-May-16 11:08:40

I think when the daughters were young and at home we were Roseanne. #2 daughter was Darlene, the cheeky one. #1 daughter was very into clothes and I was overweight. smile I'm re-watching them and still love them.

Pittcity Sun 01-May-16 12:33:12

I often think I'm in the Truman Show!