Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Great British Sewing Bee

(87 Posts)
Indinana Mon 16-May-16 22:25:03

Anybody else watching this? I've been looking forward to the new series for a while and it didn't disappoint. Much too early to predict the winner, but two or three did stand out tonight and will certainly be the ones to watch in the future. But we know this can change dramatically, which is the fun of the programme!

On a sad note, I hadn't realised until the end of tonight's show that Lorna Monje, one of the stars of last year's GBSB, died earlier this year. She was such a fun person, so vibrant and so full of life that it seems hard to believe that that life has been snuffed out at only 69 years old.

M0nica Mon 16-May-16 22:36:24

Watched it and loved it. DD is watching it tomorrow and we will then be on the phonen to each other for hours discussing it.

annodomini Mon 16-May-16 23:07:31

When the series first began, I never expected it to be such compulsive viewing but I have watched every series and was so pleased to find that it was back again tonight. Maybe I will pluck up the courage to make better use of my new sewing machine.

Lona Tue 17-May-16 07:34:07

I love it too, it makes me feel that I could have made fabulous clothes!
(I couldn't!)

rockgran Tue 17-May-16 08:17:51

Loved it - sewing is my "happy place" although I prefer making bags and quilts. I can't be doing with all that trying on.

BBbevan Tue 17-May-16 08:29:22

I can't sew for toffee. I once sewed right down my index finger on my Mum's treadle machine. But I just love TGBSB and really look forward to it.

Alima Tue 17-May-16 08:34:29

I love watching it for the nostalgia. When it is on I could be back in the school needlework room with Mrs Walker holding forth. So good to know that sewing is so popular. I used to make a lot of my own clothes then for the children but have not done so for a long time, probably because I could not see to thread the needle.

Indinana Tue 17-May-16 09:35:01

I used to make so much for my DC when they were little, and for myself. Those were the days when dressmaking actually saved money! Those days are long gone, so now my sewing is for pleasure, not economy. I make lots of clothes for my little GD. Not as cheap as much of the stuff available in the shops, but my DD loves dressing her in these 'one off' garments - she particularly loves when another mum compliments a dress and asks where it was bought smile.
Alima I used to struggle threading the sewing machine needle, but my new machine does it automatically! Now I never mind if the thread snaps. Well, I do of course, but you know what I mean wink
rockgran I love to make bags and quilts too. In fact that's the one gripe I have with the GBSB - it should really be called The Great British Dressmaker, because that is the only sewing discipline used. I would love to see a broader sewing remit, taking in patchwork, home furnishings and so on.

TriciaF Tue 17-May-16 09:57:55

I missed last night's episode - will there be a repeat?
Like you, Indinana, I used tomake a lot of the children's clothes, . You could get lovely cheap natural fabrics in those days. What has happened to dress material now I don't know, everything seems to be polyester.
I've made a few things for myself lately, but not always with good results.

TriciaF Tue 17-May-16 09:59:34

ps In the USA there's a lot more choice of dressmaking fabrics, not all that expensive, but the shipping costs to Europe are very high.

Indinana Tue 17-May-16 11:02:44

Yes I've often browsed US sites Tricia. I really shouldn't because I get so cross! Quilting fabric is so much cheaper than here, and there's much more choice!

Luckygirl Tue 17-May-16 12:24:27

Sad news about Lorna Monje, - I had not clocked that.

I enjoy this programme as I love sewing - I sit there thinking, No don't do it that way!

aggie Tue 17-May-16 12:27:33

Just watched it this morning and just thought what a lovely bunch of people , helping each other ! And cringing when That man took the scissors to the hem

Indinana Tue 17-May-16 12:31:44

Tricia I don't know whether last night's episode will be repeated, but you should be able to watch it on BBC iPlayer.

Treebee Tue 17-May-16 16:37:10

I loved those skirts, so big and swishy! And the one that was more fitted, that won garment of the week, beautiful!

HannahLoisLuke Tue 17-May-16 17:18:57

Looks like I'm the only person who's always disappointed with this programme. The stuff they make is frumpy and old fashioned. I'd hoped for inspiration and instruction but although the sewing tips are useful I really wish they'd make something wearable. Those alteration tasks are horrible and only fit for the rag bag.
The fabrics are garish too. Mostly.

I know mine is going to be an unpopular view as you all love it and I probably will continue to watch, at least for a few weeks.

Rosiebee Tue 17-May-16 17:51:15

Have to agree about the alteration task. There wasn't one garment that looked as though anyone would actually wear it and very little imagination. Maybe they just had the jitters as it was the first round. Couldn't believe that hardly any use was made of the other fabrics and haberdashery available. Very disappointing, especially when the skirts in the last round showed their talents. Love the programme though and will look forward to every show.

NanSue Tue 17-May-16 18:34:33

I can't sew to save my life (so wish could!)
I would never have believed I could be so into something I have no idea about but I love it I don't particularly like many of the garments but it doesn't matter. It's strangely compulsive viewing for me. I'm not very keen on the new female judge though.

MargaretX Tue 17-May-16 18:48:15

I thorougly enjoyed it although I don't sew as much anymore, In Germany years ago, I got hooked on Burda patterns - My figure was easy to sew for then and I also made a lot for my daughters, including a wedding outfit ( not white)
Last night although the fitted skirt was lovely I think the 18 yr old with silver edged full black skirt should have won it.
Where did they get that maternity dress from? I've not seen a maternity dress for years since I wore them myself. My DDs wore bulging T-shirts in vibrant colours.

whitewave Tue 17-May-16 20:52:46

I love the idea of making my clothes, but honestly some of the stuff produced is awful. There has been the odd thing over the various series that was very impressive, but it is mostly bizarre, and quite unwearable.

Indinana Tue 17-May-16 22:08:08

Last night although the fitted skirt was lovely I think the 18 yr old with silver edged full black skirt should have won it.
I'm with you up to a point. It must have been a difficult choice though, because the fit on the tight blue skirt was flawless and that's what they were looking for in a challenge that was 'made to measure' The black skirt was absolutely stunning though.

mintsmum Sun 22-May-16 13:43:13

My daughter and I both love the programme, especially the way the contestants help each other -very civilized. Does anyone remember Clothkits? I made dozens of their garments in the 70s and 80s mostly successful. We loved the dungarees and matching tee shirts.

HildaW Sun 22-May-16 13:58:17

mintsmum.....I remember Clothkits - they even had a shop in Oxford years ago and I used to use their padded jacket kits with the animals for my two daughters - ah! memories.
I do agree with you about the lovely supportive atmosphere in the Sewing Bee - it makes for such a lovely programme and the actual style of the garments is almost secondary!
I have a lovely old text book on tailoring and sewing and a modern one and the actual skills required do not change just the fabrics and patterns - and even those get re-used as fashions come and go.

dramatictessa Mon 13-Jun-16 21:26:44

What on earth is Esme the judge wearing?

Gracesgran Mon 13-Jun-16 21:33:02

I think Clothkits are still around - they certainly were a few years ago.

I love the programme but I am not sure, HannahLoisLuke that the intention is to teach you.

Interesting 60s theme tonight.