Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

BBC 1 Casualty

(42 Posts)
Anya Sun 29-May-16 15:58:37

For some reason I found myself tuned into this programme last night and was too lazy to turn it off, I watched in mounting disbelief at the worse load of tosh I have seen in years. Awful acting, unbelievable situations, terrible scripts, staff, both 'nurses and doctors' acting like teenagers.....

Is it always this dreadful? hmm

phoenix Sun 29-May-16 16:06:37

Casualty was the first TV programme that Mr P and I watched together blush

Christinefrance Sun 29-May-16 16:18:43

Has been a good programme but seems to be a victim of ' dumbing down ' Another case of patronising the public

gettingonabit Sun 29-May-16 16:39:35

Casualty used to be quite good, imho. Now? It's a Saturday night filler-in for those of us for whom the pub has little appeal.

Enjoyable fluff like pretty much everything else on the box.

They've made it more sensational, over the years, maybe to appeal to a different audience. I'm not sure if it was ever supposed to be realistic.

Welshwife Sun 29-May-16 16:52:26

It is the clothes Connie Beauchamp wears and the shoes!!! And Lily is going the same way - any A and E unit I have been to has everyone in scrubs and flat shoes!

Charleygirl Sun 29-May-16 17:57:24

It is a few years since Casualty was half decent. There is too much going on in the personal lives of the staff in my opinion. There is little else on for me to watch. I think that it has been running for over 20 years.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 29-May-16 18:04:49

I love it! Almost as good as Holby. Love the characters, the stories, and Charlie. Watched last week's and this week's back to back yesterday evening.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 29-May-16 18:06:17

And I love Connie and the gorgeous black bloke she had a fling with.

Christinefrance Sun 29-May-16 18:24:16

Yes enjoy Holby, HH is definitely the man for mewink

tanith Sun 29-May-16 19:13:51

Its fantasy but I love it and try not to miss it or Holby..I get confused if the actors cross over from one to the other...[win]

tanith Sun 29-May-16 19:23:34

wink

Deedaa Sun 29-May-16 21:45:21

We always watched Casualty when it first started. We used to plat "spot the illness" getting extra points for diagnosing it before the doctors did. The scriptwriters weren't afraid to bring up political points as well. We gave up watching when they turned it into a soap with way too much emphasis on everybody's personal lives. The same thing happened with The Bill which we also stopped watching.

starbird Mon 30-May-16 17:40:04

I used to watch it, but for a long time now have been watching the BBC4 series at 9pm which are usually foreign with subtitles. I used to then watch casualty on catch up but have not bothered for a couple of months, it seemed to have got too unbelievable.

numberplease Mon 30-May-16 22:59:22

Well, I still like it!

Jalima Mon 30-May-16 23:40:38

I think that it has been running for over 20 years
It must be well over that.
It was better when it was filmed in Bristol and they used a proper building for the outside instead of the Lego look-alike place they use now.

ninathenana Sun 10-Jul-16 05:24:06

Poor Robyn, I knew it was too good to be true.
Please find her a decent honest bloke. She deserves it smile

Yes, I know it's fiction before anyone reminds me.

kittylester Sun 10-Jul-16 07:10:32

I think there's hope fir her with what's his name but there's always David.

Alima Sun 10-Jul-16 07:33:38

I have been watching it since the start in '86. Must be some sort of OCD, it is the same with 'Enders and Mars Bars. Apparently there is a 30th anniversary special in September and several old characters are going to pop up. Would love to see Robyn happily settled. What exactly is it with her latest boyfriend? I got that he lied about his wife but have they explained it yet? Really should'nt watch these challenging progs, do tend to lose the plot.

mumofmadboys Sun 10-Jul-16 07:56:03

I watch Casualty and have done for years but last night's programme seemed particularly puerile at the beginning with the jokes. between Connie, Charlie and Jacob!

ninathenana Sun 10-Jul-16 08:11:25

David and Robyn hmm
That's an interesting one kitty grin

No, we know no more than the fact he's never had a wife..

Christinefrance Sun 10-Jul-16 08:23:46

I agree mumofmadboys the beginning was particularly stupid, even the actors seemed uncomfortable with it. I still enjoy the programme in the main but as I said before think it's a victim of dumbing down.

Alima Sun 10-Jul-16 08:27:30

Lofty is coming back, maybe there is still a chance Robyn will get together with him!

PRINTMISS Sun 10-Jul-16 08:49:47

Light entertainment on a Saturday evening, and really quite a load of rubbish, but so what, we watch it anyway. This week anything is better than sport!

Anya Sun 10-Jul-16 08:56:02

Anyone remember Emergency Ward 10?

Greenfinch Sun 10-Jul-16 09:06:00

Yes I do Anya and I totally agree with your original post.