Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Victoria

(60 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Mon 29-Aug-16 09:35:38

Did anyone else see the first part of the 8 part drama last night , Victoria?

I really enjoyed it and am totally captivated by the face of the young actress who plays Victoria( her name escapes me). Looking forward to the rest.

Granny23 Mon 29-Aug-16 09:53:03

I loved it but spent most of it wondering where I had seen the actress (Jenna Coleman) before. Dawned on me this morning that she was in Dr Who. I did think that the 'below stairs' bits re candles and gloves were a bit odd. Perhaps an attempt to mimic Downtown Abbey or Upstairs Downstairs but I cannot conceive that as Queen, Victoria would take any interest in these details.

merlotgran Mon 29-Aug-16 10:04:00

Rufus Sewell on a horse made me want to shout, 'Sit up straight, shoulders back!'

Looking forward to the rest of it.

f77ms Mon 29-Aug-16 10:13:13

Enjoyed it and Rupert Sewell is very handsome to match her prettiness . About time we had another decent British drama , I was very disappointed with `One of us` . I thought it would be good considering who is in it but it seems very hammy , a bit like an Agatha Christy play .

NanaandGrampy Mon 29-Aug-16 10:22:06

Maybe Granny23 the downstairs bit was a bit of scene setting . I believe she grew into a woman who was relatively frugal and they're showing her growth ?? Not sure ....or maybe it's just fleshing out the story wink

Jalima Mon 29-Aug-16 10:28:06

I enjoyed it, DH did mutter from time to time about accuracy, but I think the writer had researched Victoria's diaries rather than history books.

I agree, merlotgran, no Oympic gold for Rupert!

Greyduster Mon 29-Aug-16 10:50:58

I think some of the shots with crowd scenes looked a bit odd - as if someone had hurriedly sketched them into the background. I couldn't see anything moving. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

Jalima Mon 29-Aug-16 11:24:05

computer generated!

HildaW Mon 29-Aug-16 11:48:37

Keep expecting Dr Who to turn up.....she's basically the same character.
Yes its all beautifully done but all the 'downstairs shenanigans' seems rather artificially added on ....to appeal the 'Downton' brigade methinks.

Shall not bother again but just thought I'd give it a go.

Ana Mon 29-Aug-16 12:20:24

I think Jenna Coleman is far too pretty and wide-eyed for the role, but obviously the producers aren't going for realism!

The trailers put me off, so I didn't watch the programme.

Daisyanswerdo Mon 29-Aug-16 17:07:27

I'm enjoying it, but did wonder about the modern 'throw-away' manner of speaking. To slow down and enunciate very deliberately obviously wouldn't work and would sound like parody. Perhaps it doesn't matter. For me, it would help to bring the time and manners to life.

Ana Mon 29-Aug-16 17:14:01

Victoria would have had a German accent in reality, but I suppose that would have taken a lot of people by surprise (I didn't know myself until I read it recently!)

wot Mon 29-Aug-16 17:22:57

I thought the crowd scenes looked very false, like in a theatre!

f77ms Mon 29-Aug-16 18:26:05

I didn`t know that Ana , I thought she was born in England ?

f77ms Mon 29-Aug-16 18:27:53

The most realistic historical drama I have watched was `Larkrise to Candleford` The attitudes and manners were spot on .

Ana Mon 29-Aug-16 18:33:58

Yes she was, f77ms but her mother was German and apparently she was effectively brought up by a governess who spoke to her only in German until she was 3 years old. It seems German was spoken by many in the Royal household at the time.

Jalima Mon 29-Aug-16 18:41:42

I think she was very protected by her mother and her mother's 'friend' (although he was English) and brought up by her German governess. She must have spoken both languages fluently but I'm assuming that she and Albert spoke German to each other too?

HildaW I read somewhere today that the character she played in Dr Who had similarities to Queen Victoria (apart from the Royal bit) - young impetuous naive girl matures into determined young woman.

Ana Princess Beatrice is very much like Queen Victoria apart from having her mother's colouring!

f77ms loved Larkrise to Candleford because that is where my ancestors are from (and one distant cousin was the postmistress, her dad was the blacksmith!).

Teetime Mon 29-Aug-16 19:30:02

Well I wasnt entranced it was all a bit Downton Abbey for me but any chance I get to watch Rufus Sewell is worth taking

Jalima Mon 29-Aug-16 20:17:24

grin
I don't think Albert is going to have the same appeal Teetime

hulahoop Mon 29-Aug-16 20:49:17

Thought it was ok will watch a few more wasn't she in emmerdale years ago if I remember rightly she was a friend of Debbie wanted to be more though !!

Neversaydie Mon 29-Aug-16 22:49:12

The rats in this evening's episode rather put me off

Iam64 Tue 30-Aug-16 08:47:25

I'm enjoying it, good cast, great scenes (yes some background is computer generated but it's ok without my specs). Neversaydie - I'm hopeless with rodents, even mice and rats are my room 13. My response to them on tv wasn't quite as out of control as the young Queen when she saw them - but I did say ahhh and cover my eyes.
merlotgran, I'm sure your'e right about Rupert not riding perfectly but in every other way, I thought he was very watchable.

merlotgran Tue 30-Aug-16 09:01:51

Oh Yes! Iam. I'm beginning to think Ross Poldark might have a rival grin

Jalima Tue 30-Aug-16 09:12:37

Poldark doesn't even come close!
Have always thought that Rupert Sewell is very sexy nice.

Jalima Tue 30-Aug-16 09:18:00

See, he has turned my head so much I can't even get his name right! blush (just like Victoria's!)

Rufus, Rufus!