Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Where did he get that suit ?

(43 Posts)
Wobblybits Fri 30-Sep-16 11:04:03

Just watching "Street auction" on BBC1,, where on earth did Paul Martin get that blue suit, looks 2 sizes two small, perhaps it was donated.

Ok, I'm no style Icon, but blimey hmm

Alima Fri 30-Sep-16 11:21:33

I am not sure but I think it is the current trend for men to wear suits on the tight side. Would think that P M is rather old to be a fashion victim but each to their own. Wonder if he followed the trend of wearing trousers with the crotch round his knees too.

kittylester Fri 30-Sep-16 11:24:44

I think he's had it for ages, he presumably grew into it. I love him though!

Mumsy Fri 30-Sep-16 11:38:14

watching it now, looks like he has slept in it! shock

thatbags Fri 30-Sep-16 11:46:03

Had to look up Paul Martin. Never heard of him (what's new? grin). Minibags often sleeps in her clothes: she sits up in bed doing homework until she crashes out. I switch her light off when I'm up for the loo during the night.

Younguns, eh?

Synonymous Fri 30-Sep-16 11:47:28

Wobbly do you think it was in one of those 'get rid of all those odds and ends boxes' that are there at the end of an auction? There are bargains to be found in those sometimes! hmm Don't think that was the bargain in his box though!sad
Perhaps he needs to find a mirror at the next auction. grin

Christinefrance Fri 30-Sep-16 12:53:21

Yes I've noticed the trend towards tighter suits for men, personally I don't find it a good look but hey ho what do I know.

Wobblybits Fri 30-Sep-16 12:58:00

It reminds me of Alexei Sayle in his early days -- but he was a comedian.

Perhaps the last show will be secretly raising money for a new suit.

Greyduster Fri 30-Sep-16 13:11:17

Apologies to all Monty Don fans, but maybe someone should put him in a tight suit - it would make a change from the succession of shapeless, drab, designer (we're told) creations he has worn to Chelsea and other places in recent years. If I were his wife, I wouldn't let him out of the door looking like that.

Rosieroe Fri 30-Sep-16 13:22:34

If I was Monty's wife I'd keep him indoors too Greyduster. But for other reasons. ?

Greyduster Fri 30-Sep-16 13:34:16

Rosieroe grin

Wobblybits Fri 30-Sep-16 13:35:37

Ladies (?), behave.

Rosieroe Fri 30-Sep-16 13:41:53

?

shysal Fri 30-Sep-16 14:10:53

Another presenter whose suit irritates me is Ewan Davies from Dragon's Den. He wears a tight jacket straining at a high button and an expanse of shirt below it to the top of low-slung skinny trousers which finish above the ankle. He doesn't look as bad lately on current affairs programmes.

Jalima Fri 30-Sep-16 14:16:39

I always think that Evan Davies has never managed to find a suit that fits him properly off-the-peg and needs to find a good tailor.

Rosieroe grin

ninathenana Fri 30-Sep-16 18:35:17

Neither H or I can stand Paul Martin. We've stopped watching Flog it ! because of him.
Yes, the suit has had many outings on TV he also wears a maroon velvet jacket and a red one with white trim that looks like he should be on a horse following the hounds smile

grannylyn65 Fri 30-Sep-16 20:25:17

Thought you said Paul Merton and was confused!!

cathodexx Wed 24-Jan-24 23:11:10

Don’t mind his suits but the blue jeans he wears are worrying- does he wear a truss!?

vegansrock Thu 25-Jan-24 04:22:07

I rather like Monty Don’s crumpled linen look. My OH occasionally buys clothes from the same outfitters Monty shops at., he owns what I call his Monty suit - navy cotton drill trousers with braces , collarless striped grandad shirt and baggy jacket.

loopyloo Thu 25-Jan-24 07:03:30

We've been watching Kojak. Now he wears some splendid suits.....

BlueBelle Thu 25-Jan-24 07:09:55

How can you not like Paul Martin nina I think he’s a lovely chap He does like the flamboyant colourful outfits but who cares some look nice, some don’t

I just don’t get the adoration of Monty is Don find him a real turn off

Curtaintwitcher Thu 25-Jan-24 07:14:06

Well, at least he was wearing a suit. That other chap, David something wears brightly coloured jeans which are much too tight. As he's rather well-endowed, it's not an attractive look.

Juliet27 Thu 25-Jan-24 07:28:13

Most of these Flog It programmes are pretty old and the blue suit has been around for ages. Yes cathodexx his jeans bother me a bit too!
My dad always used to be impressed with the suits Morecambe and Wise wore and having watched replays at Xmas I can see what he meant. Beautifully cut.

petra Thu 25-Jan-24 07:33:52

I’m more interested as to how someone finds a thread from 2016

Marydoll Thu 25-Jan-24 07:54:37

petra

I’m more interested as to how someone finds a thread *from 2016*

I started to read this, then noticed minibags mentioned.
I met her once with her mum, saw the poster had a different name and realised how old the thread was!

Petra, I too wondered how people finds these threads, despite the useless search engine!