Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Tutankhamun

(26 Posts)
gulligranny Tue 25-Oct-16 16:10:22

Anyone else watching? We think it's ok, anything with Sam Neill can't be all bad, but it's very cliche-d and Max Irons is more Max Plank - looks good but absolutely no charisma and certainly not any of the acting ability of his starry parents.

Not sure if we'll bother to go on with it. Other views?

aggie Tue 25-Oct-16 16:18:33

I was amazed how bad it was , no continuity , rambling , and even managed to make the scenery boring

Greyduster Tue 25-Oct-16 16:19:13

I was looking forward to it, but I agree with you about Max Irons. And I may be wrong, but he seems too young to be Carter, but artistic licence, love interest and all that.... I haven't seen the second episode yet.

ninathenana Tue 25-Oct-16 16:19:16

I fell asleep halfway through the first episode. H who usually likes this type of drama, wasn't impressed.
We didn't bother with this weeks episode.

tanith Tue 25-Oct-16 16:19:27

I've been watching it on catch up but not overly impressed some very wooden acting so I shan't be bothered if I miss the rest of it.

Charleygirl Tue 25-Oct-16 16:20:24

It did not float my boat so I did not bother watching it.

merlotgran Tue 25-Oct-16 16:26:58

We're watching it on +1 after Poldy. DH likes it. hmm

SueDonim Tue 25-Oct-16 16:47:35

It's alright, not outstanding, and ok for a Sunday evening. Sam Neill is v good and I think Max Irons comes into his own when he's playing opposite SN. Not so good when MI is opposite wafty females. grin

hildajenniJ Tue 25-Oct-16 16:56:27

I started watching it, but wasn't impressed. Gave up and went to Netflix.

Bellasnana Tue 25-Oct-16 17:28:22

I'm another who found it very disappointing after having looked forward to watching it.
Will not be bothering again hmm

Jalima Tue 25-Oct-16 18:17:24

Is it worth skipping through just to gaze at Sam Neill?

SueDonim Tue 25-Oct-16 18:26:35

He looks very dapper in it, Jalima!

BlueBelle Tue 25-Oct-16 18:30:06

Started but didn't go on only tried because a friends son has a part in it but I didn't see him and couldn't waste my time with the second episode

Jalima Tue 25-Oct-16 19:29:43

I will zip through it then SueDonim, I think we have recorded it. DH will fall asleep and I can swoon over watch Sam Neill!

Jane10 Tue 25-Oct-16 19:51:58

Well I enjoyed both episodes. The location, actors and pace were fine by me.

rosesarered Tue 25-Oct-16 20:06:17

Must download to watch, I like anything set in Egypt.

Deedaa Tue 25-Oct-16 20:30:51

Well I'm really enjoying it. Obviously Sam Neill is a bonus! They seem to be keeping fairly accurate with the archaeology so far. I hope they have made the tomb stunning enough when we get there.

Have been reading up on Flinders Petrie but haven't been able to find out if he really did excavate in the nude!

Deedaa Mon 31-Oct-16 22:03:47

What a pity that they felt the need to concoct an affair between Howard Carter and Lady Evelyn. For one thing no nicely brought up young lady would have had sex with anyone in those days (the risk of pregnancy was deterrent enough) and certainly not with one of her father's employees. For another Howard Carter was 50 when they found the tomb and only 7 years younger than her father. They've recreated the tomb so well, why mess about with the facts? Do they really think we won't watch anything unless there's some sex?

Grandma2213 Tue 01-Nov-16 03:15:19

I agree Deedaa there's no need for the 'sloppy' bits! Surely it would be too hot and sweaty anyway. Yuck! The other bits I am quite enjoying though.

Jane10 Tue 01-Nov-16 06:41:14

Me too. I felt the sex scenes were totally unnecessary. The story itself and all the political intrigue is interesting enough. Do they think we couldn't sustain interest in a programme without some sex scenes? Actually its a bit of an insult to the viewers' intelligence. There. I've worked myself up into an irritated state! Och!

grandMattie Tue 01-Nov-16 07:31:34

I'm watching it because Flinders Petrie [remember him of the naked scenes, fat old man?] was my DM's absolute favourite person in the world. She said that had she had the money, she would have been an Egyptologist. Sadly she never visited Egypt.
Yes, Max Irons is wooden, he also portray a man who was attracted to women but was gay in real life [a bit like Lawrence of Arabia]...
Lots of tosh, lots of lovely scenery, isn't it a change from all that sex, swearing and violence?

Greyduster Tue 01-Nov-16 09:03:17

I was lucky enough to see the travelling exhibition of the treasures at the State Museum in Cologne in 1980. It was unbelievable. The burial mask was so beautiful it was hard to grasp that it was the real thing you were looking at, as was his throne, with the back panel depicting the king with his wife. I can't imagine what it was like for Carter and his team, uncovering it all for the first time! That much excitement would have killed me on the spot.

Jane10 Tue 01-Nov-16 11:12:07

It was stunning wasn't it. I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful manmade object in my life than the Tutankhamen Mummy. That beautiful lapis and gold head. Just wonderful. The other items were amazing too. The cats appealed to me of course.

POGS Tue 01-Nov-16 12:19:43

I find I am simply wading through this series if I am being honest. I find it wooden acting too.

DanniRae Tue 01-Nov-16 13:46:07

Nope, didn't enjoy it - fell asleep in last episode.