Gransnet forums

Webchats

Live webchat with Scotland's First Minister, Alex Salmond, Tuesday 12 Feb 10.45-11.45am

(106 Posts)
Carigransnet (GNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 10:01:54

We are absolutely delighted that Alex Salmond, First Minister for Scotland will be coming in to GNHQ <tidies desk> to answer gransnetters' questions on everything from Scotland's future and its role in the world, the 2014 referendum to Andy Murray (and taking in education, employment and health, transport, energy, sport and the Oscar-prospects of Disney animation Brave along the way)

Alex Salmond was born in Linlithgow in 1954 and studied at St Andrews University. He was first elected as MP for Banff and Buchan in 1987 and was elected as National Convener for the Scottish National Party in 1990. He served as leader of the opposition in the Scottish Parliament when he was elected MSP for Banff and Buchan Constituency in 1999. He stood down as SNP National Convener in 2000 and left the Scottish Parliament in 2001.

He was re-elected as Leader of the SNP in 2004 and elected as MSP for the Gordon constituency in May 2007. He became the first ever SNP First Minister of Scotland on May 16, 2007. He won the Aberdeenshire East constituency at the May 5, 2011, election when the SNP won a majority of seats of in the Scottish Parliament and MSPs re-elected him unopposed for a second term as FM on May 18.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Feb-13 11:57:28

Thanks to the First Minister for getting through a long list of questions with such grace and good humour. Thanks too for the delicious and topical pancakes and jam. Next time, whisky...

wendylou Tue 12-Feb-13 12:11:05

Thanks to Alex for answering one of my (two) questions.

The unanswered question was 'how do you, as First Minister, set an example to the people of Scotland in respect of diet and exercise?', and it seems the answer to that is, 'sitting around eating scotch pancakes and rasberry jam'.

Gally Tue 12-Feb-13 12:19:17

wendylou grin. I was not in the slightest surprised that the ample Mr.Salmond avoided answering that one! cupcake

POGS Tue 12-Feb-13 19:27:07

I thought he answered a good number of varied questions.

Better than Yvette Cooper.

NfkDumpling Tue 12-Feb-13 19:36:47

He did well, but I'd still be sorry if Scotland left the UK.