Gransnet forums

Webchats

Live webchat with Scotland's First Minister, Alex Salmond, Tuesday 12 Feb 10.45-11.45am

(106 Posts)
Carigransnet (GNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 10:01:54

We are absolutely delighted that Alex Salmond, First Minister for Scotland will be coming in to GNHQ <tidies desk> to answer gransnetters' questions on everything from Scotland's future and its role in the world, the 2014 referendum to Andy Murray (and taking in education, employment and health, transport, energy, sport and the Oscar-prospects of Disney animation Brave along the way)

Alex Salmond was born in Linlithgow in 1954 and studied at St Andrews University. He was first elected as MP for Banff and Buchan in 1987 and was elected as National Convener for the Scottish National Party in 1990. He served as leader of the opposition in the Scottish Parliament when he was elected MSP for Banff and Buchan Constituency in 1999. He stood down as SNP National Convener in 2000 and left the Scottish Parliament in 2001.

He was re-elected as Leader of the SNP in 2004 and elected as MSP for the Gordon constituency in May 2007. He became the first ever SNP First Minister of Scotland on May 16, 2007. He won the Aberdeenshire East constituency at the May 5, 2011, election when the SNP won a majority of seats of in the Scottish Parliament and MSPs re-elected him unopposed for a second term as FM on May 18.

NfkDumpling Tue 12-Feb-13 19:36:47

He did well, but I'd still be sorry if Scotland left the UK.

POGS Tue 12-Feb-13 19:27:07

I thought he answered a good number of varied questions.

Better than Yvette Cooper.

Gally Tue 12-Feb-13 12:19:17

wendylou grin. I was not in the slightest surprised that the ample Mr.Salmond avoided answering that one! cupcake

wendylou Tue 12-Feb-13 12:11:05

Thanks to Alex for answering one of my (two) questions.

The unanswered question was 'how do you, as First Minister, set an example to the people of Scotland in respect of diet and exercise?', and it seems the answer to that is, 'sitting around eating scotch pancakes and rasberry jam'.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Feb-13 11:57:28

Thanks to the First Minister for getting through a long list of questions with such grace and good humour. Thanks too for the delicious and topical pancakes and jam. Next time, whisky...

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:55:13

Thanks for all the questions, if invited I'll come back soon. I think the pancakes have got me in solid with the Gransnet team. Maybe I'll come back for St Andrew's day, armed with shortbread - and whisky.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:54:38

wendylou

As I understand it, the primary argument you have presented to the people of Scotland in favour of Scottish independence is that they will benefit economically from being members of an independent Scotland. But – and this is my question – do you not believe, along with the founder members of the SNP, such as Hugh McDiarmid, and others, that independence is in itself of supreme value and would be worth having even if it meant that Scottish people gain no economic advantage from independence?

Morning, Wendylou. Couldn’t have said it better myself. I fully agree. A sense of identity, a new confidence in a proud nation with a strong sense of social justice, a good global citizen: these are all attributes which Scotland aspires to through independence. And of course the fact that we will flourish economically is also a welcome bonus!

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:53:55

dodiegale1

I am a newcomer to Gransnet so think I might have been a bit naive here. I notice other contributors to this forum have managed to ask two or three questions to Alex in just one comment. As I have asked only one question so far, I am hoping I might be allowed a second...

I am interested to know why Alex has set Autumn 2014 as the date for the independence referendum, rather than a Spring date. After all, the evenings are shorter in the Autumn and the weather is more likely to be inclement. Elections are usually held in May and there is good reason for that. We have longer evenings and there is more chance of good weather. Older people find it easier to vote. I know that a general election was held in October 1974, but that was because we had a hung parliament as a result of the February 1974 General Election. Since then my understanding is that all general elections have been held in the Spring. I believe the Welsh Devolution Referendum of 1997 was held in mid-September, but all the other recent UK referendums have been held in the Spring. Can Alex guarantee that the Scottish independence referendum will be held no later than mid-September 2014, in order to make it as easy as possible for all age groups to be able to register their votes?

Good morning, Dodiegale. Good to hear from you and your question about the timing of the referendum vote is actually very important. The reason for settling on the autumn of 2014 is two-fold: firstly it’s before the clocks go back and secondly Scotland is already preparing for an incredibly busy year on the international stage – what with the Ryder Cup and the Commonwealth Games. Quite rightly, attentions will be focused on these wonderful events earlier in the year and it is only right that we take our time and ensure all the facts are out there so the people can make the biggest decision in generations.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:52:29

DavidH22

As far as I understand SNP policy you want Scotland to be an independent country separate from the UK but Scotland to be a member of the European Union. Is this not getting rid of one set of rules only to then have to live by another set? It could also take several years for Scotland to be granted full membership of the EU and in the meantime would that mean anyone English living and working in an independent Scotland having to seek refugee status? Finally if Scotland does gain independence any chance of anexing Northumberland to join you?

Independence will mean Scotland will be in a position to build strong new relationships. It will also mean we can control 100 per cent of our taxes. We control 16 per cent of our taxes at present – that’s not independence. We want a partnership of equals where a social union replaces the current political union. After all, the Queen will still be our head of state. And it is worth remembering that that we will be negotiating from within as we will at no point leave the EU. And in Europe, an independent Scotland would continue to share open borders, shared rights, free trade and extensive cooperation. On the subject of Northumberland? - well that’s purely for the people in your beautiful part of the country to decide!

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:50:59

POGS

If Scotland leaves the UK and you find you do have to apply to join the EU, as has been declared by Brussels, are you happy to have to join the Shengan [sorry about spelling] agreement. Would that mean Border Controls into the UK?. What if Scotland are Independant and the UK leaves the EU what would happen then with regard to the Border Line.

I hope never to have to find out by the way.

Hello POGS. We are quite clear on where we stand with membership of the EU but I’d like to stress that an independent Scotland would have an open border with England. As a full member of the European Union, Scottish borders would remain open to European Union nationals, just as Scots are free now to move throughout the European Union. And just as no one from the UK needs a passport to travel to Ireland now, there would be free movement across the border between Scotland and England. Also, an independent Scotland will issue its own passports which would offer shared or dual citizenship.

albadav Tue 12-Feb-13 11:49:41

David Cameron is Two faced?

Cameron tells us Britain is broken: www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jan/24/cameron-broken-britain

Cameron claims we are best off directly ruled by the London state: news.stv.tv/politics/213333-prime-minister-tells-scottish-voters-britain-works-why-break-it

Which one of these statements is true.

I'm an SNP member and proud of it.

fabgran Tue 12-Feb-13 11:49:02

Alex, do you think politics today is motivated by ideology or identity?

Propulsar Tue 12-Feb-13 11:47:59

I have read today that a recently issued UK Government white paper states that,

"An alternative view is that as a matter of international law England continued, albeit under a new name and regardless of the position in domestic law, and was simply enlarged to incorporate Scotland"

This leads to an interpretation that Scotland ceased to exist after 1707.

What is your opinion on such a view?

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:45:07

Bennan

Why are Scots living out of the country not being allowed to voice an opinion on this matter? Although I am married to an Englishman and have lived away for a number of years I am a Scot first, foremost and always. Where you live does not change your identity!!

Hello Bennan and thank you for your question. Firstly, I absolutely appreciate your point that where you live does not change your identity. That’s why our Homecoming celebrations where we extend an invitation to Scots around the world to return for a visit are so successful. 2014 is when our next Homecoming Year takes place and all Gransnetters are invited! On your question of eligibility to vote in the referendum, this will be based on who can vote at Scottish Parliament and Scottish local government elections. That means broadly that those resident in Scotland will be eligible to vote. This follows the precedent of the 1997 referendum on establishing a Scottish Parliament.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:44:14

fabgran

Alex, if you had to choose between total Scotish independence devoid of any association with England in all areas (including defence), or to stick with the current system of devolved government, which one would you go for? Can Scotland be truly independent?

fabgran

If you were going to campaign against independence what would you base your campaign around?

Mustn't give too much away to our opponents, however I wouldn't run the dispiriting fear mongering campaign that they're engaged in - it will run out of puff, just as it did in the Scottish elections in 2011. On your first point, I've always voted for any improvement in the powers for the Scottish parliament, but independence has always been my passion and belief. Finally, all countries are inter-dependent one upon the other, that's how it should be. But we have the chance to build a really special country in Scotland that matches the abilities and sentiment of our people. I think we should take that chance and contribute to our neighbours in England across these islands and internationally as an independent nation which recognises its responsibilities to the world community.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:39:53

Granny23

Welcome, First Meenister. My question is 'Can you explain why in surveys your approval rating is always the highest, by a mile, of any of the political leaders while the MSM never have a good word to say about you?

Hello Granny22. It is part and parcel of being FM that you come in for some stick from the press now and then. Besides, in the words of Robert Burns, 'The mair they talk, the better I'm kent.' However, it appears that mainstream media is dying. And obviously it’s quite clear that discussion forums such as Gransnet are taking over!

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:39:22

freshmeat

What tips would you give someone who wanted to set up an English National Party?

Good choice of username at the moment! Any party should try to represent the best of the country. The SNP is certainly not perfect but most people believe, whether they agree with us or not in independence, that we have the best interest of Scotland at heart. Looking at the political parties in England, I find it difficult to say that about any of them at the present moment. Perhaps things will change.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:36:59

greatgrandma

Hello Alex I am wondering how we can afford to be independent we won't have any money from Westminster so how will we pay for everything does it mean our taxes will soar thereby making life more difficult than it is now.My own preference would be to stay in the United Kingdom. Can I add a bit to the lady asking about bus passes the good news came through today that they are to continue. Well done for that Alex Salmond, thank you.

Good morning, great grandma and others who were concerned about free bus travel for the elderly. I am very happy to say that the concessionary travel scheme will be continued as part of supporting pensioners and disabled people to lead healthier and happier lives. I know it makes a real difference for many. On how we will pay to be independent, Scotland is already a prosperous nation. Even without oil and gas, we are the third most successful part of the UK outside London and the South East and recent figures have also shown that Scots would be £500 a year better off in an independent Scotland.

wendylou Tue 12-Feb-13 11:36:43

But if Scotland were independent and the government wanted to introduce a high-speed rail link from Glasgow to Birmingham, it would still need approval of the government in Westminster. Wouldn't it be easier to organize the railways for Britain with one government rather than two in two independent countries?

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:36:15

frit

Is your objection to being part of the UK about the pooling of sovereignty? - in which case, why cede powers to Europe? Or is your objection really to England and the English?

Best answer under devolution Scotland controls 8% of our taxation base, rising to 16% shortly. Under independence in Europe, we'll control 100% of our taxation base. I think 100% is independence in economic terms and 16% clearly isn't. Under independence people in Scotland, wherever they come from, will decide how to run the country and we really will be best pals with England.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:34:03

LIZZIEMIK

Alex - You continually compare us to Norway therefore why do you think it is necessary to belong to the European Union.

Morning Lizziemik. Norway is an outstanding example of an independent country which is husbanding its oil and gas resources for long term benefit, while Westminster has frittered Scotland’s North Sea revenues away. With more value to come from the North Sea than has been generated to date, Scotland has every opportunity as an independent nation to deliver similar benefits as Norway has secured. Fortunately in Scotland we are already members of the EU and Scots enjoy EU citizenship. But we need independent and equal representation within the EU as a Member State to negotiate directly for our country’s own interests. It is the clear view of the Scottish Government and a range of eminent experts that it is not necessary to be in the EU but it is the best policy.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:33:29

Alphafemale

What will happen to our rather successful Olympic Team GB if Scotland becomes independent? (i realise this is probably not high on your list of priorities but the Olympics did lift everyone's spirits this year...)

Next year both Scotland and England will have teams in the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. And both countries will get behind the sportswomen and men. I thought the London Olympics were great and set the bar high for Glasgow. We'll see if we can jump over it.

girsby Tue 12-Feb-13 11:32:56

Dear Mr. Salmond, as a kinship carer in Scotland receiving the kinship care allowance for 4 lovely kids that I look after on my own, I wonder when or if you are going to "protect/ringfence" the monies that you make available to la's so that the recommended minimum rate goes to all kinship carers in Scotland? I am currently receiving £83 something per child which is way below the recommended amount. I am aware that many areas in Scotland are paying more and many are paying less!! Due to problems with the current benefit system I along with others are struggling financially ie obtaining housing benefit etc. I would not need to have to try to wade through the red tape of the benefit system if I was in receipt of what was promised to scottish kinship carers - which was the basic minimum foster care maintenance amount

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:32:04

greentara

Hello Mr Salmond! I think it would be a great idea if we had live tv debates between yourself and Mr Cameron / Mr Moore and Ms Sturgeon in the run up to the referendum. What do you think??
Also I wanted to thank you personally for all you are doing for Scotland and the Scottish people. Looking forward to celebrating our first Independence Day in March 2016 with my two wee Granddaughters knowing their future is secure!! Lang may yer lum reek Sir!!

My lum is reeking just fine thank you! Any time, any place is the answer to your great idea, although I think the Prime Minister seems more keen on running Scotland than in debating about the future of Scotland.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:30:27

whippit

Westminster has always outsourced a lot of its leaders from Scotland. Where is the Westminster parliament going to go for its leaders in future? smile

I've always had great faith in the people of England's ability to govern themselves! I know that some people say that England can't manage, but it's a great country and will do just fine.