Gransnet forums

Webchats

Live webchat with Judy Finnigan - Weds 20 March 1-2pm

(100 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-13 10:50:59

Not only famous for her long-running television partnership with husband Richard Madeley and the most famous book club in Britain, but a successful author herself to boot. Her debut novel, Eloise, became a Sunday Times bestseller in 2012 and is newly released in paperback.

So we're delighted that Judy Finnigan will be joining us at GNHQ on Weds 20 March for a live webchat. Plus... we have a signed copy of Eloise to give away to someone who posts a question. Judy will pick the winner on the day.

Pamaga Fri 15-Mar-13 11:49:24

Hi Judy
I wondered what your feelings were about older women in the media. People like Arlene Philips and Moira Stewart seems to have been traded in for younger models. Have you felt that you were judged overmuch by appearance rather than for your opinions and insights and has this been different from the way/s in which Richard is/was perceived?

noahsark Fri 15-Mar-13 12:07:27

I would love to win a copy of Judy's new book. I love the Cornish coast area and just love to read or watch anything that involves this eyecatching scenery.

lilybet Fri 15-Mar-13 17:17:24

Hello Judy. I just wanted to say I have always found you to be very interesting. On your own or with your lovely husband I think your great and I am so looking forward to reading your book.

creative Mon 18-Mar-13 14:52:03

Hello Judy Do you find your inspirations from Cornish countryside?
Hope you continue to be successfull with wrting!

BAnanas Mon 18-Mar-13 15:43:50

Hello Judy, I really loved and miss the "Book Club" some of my favourite books have been on your lists, particularly "Star of the Sea" which I would say is one of my all time best reads, possibly not a book I would have chosen if I hadn't tuned in to your programme, I was however disappointed that it lost out as overall winner that year to the appalling, whimsical load of tosh "The Lovely Bones".

There has been another TV book club since yours folded but it's somehow not the same without the unique dynamic between you and Richard. I know you have had enough of TV but I think you were great joint presenters, I particularly like the way you would on occasions chide Richard.

I have to confess I haven't read your own book yet but it's on my list. Good luck with any future ventures.

bookmad Tue 19-Mar-13 12:13:13

Hello Judy I am so excited you are coming on Gransnet that I am doing my very first post to ask you a question. I would love to ask you about how you have found working with your husband - partly whether you ever find yourself yearning for a bit of space (however much you love him which you clearly do!) - or whether you think it's made things easier (than having to form an onscreen partnership with someone who is not actually your partner)
Thanks in anticipation

kalinka Tue 19-Mar-13 12:15:11

I understand that you have recently become a grandmother. Congratulations! How does it feel?

jiggle Tue 19-Mar-13 12:17:50

This Morning was never known as This Morning when you were the presenters - it was only ever called "Richard and Judy". Do you think that's what cemented what's become a household "brand" almost - and did it make it a tough act to follow for the presenters who took over?

lalaland Tue 19-Mar-13 12:20:53

I have just started reading your book and I am loving it.

Am I allowed to ask about "boob gate" at the National TV Awards? How did you feel when it happened? I thought you dealt with it far better than I would have (oh and is it true that you are famous in America because of this?)

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 19-Mar-13 16:35:24

NOTE - the date of this has now moved - and it will take place on MONDAY 25 March instead. Same time and same place though - so do join us

gillybob Fri 22-Mar-13 12:34:53

Hi Judy.

My mum spoke of Richard and Judy so often it was like you were dear friends of her's that popped in every day for a chat. As soon as I arrived at her house I would be greeted with "you never guess what Richard said today" or "poor Judy is a bit under the weather today I think".

How does it feel to be a household name and to almost play your life out on television for the whole world to see? My husband and I work together and have done for many years, we sometimes argue disagree at work (but very rarely at home) I wonder was it the same for you when you worked together?

Thanks.

libra10 Fri 22-Mar-13 15:46:45

From your Granada reporting days to your spell at presenting This Morning, I've always enjoyed watching both you and Richard.

I've read several of your book club recommendations, and enjoyed them all, looking forward to reading your book, 'Eloise'.

My question is whether you have a set routine for when you write, where you gain inspiration, and do you prefer writing to working on TV?

Looking forward to your interview with Gransnet.

Grandmanorm Sat 23-Mar-13 14:42:42

Hello Judy, I loved your book and couldn't put it down, even though at times it drove me mad. Well done, more please!

Cressida Sun 24-Mar-13 12:32:08

Hello Judy,

In 1977 I was in the same antenatal ward as you for several weeks. You might even remember one conversation we had on the afternoon of March 2nd when I came to your room to tell you my roommate had a daughter and everything had gone well. I met Dan & Tom the day after they were born and have often wondered how you've managed to keep them out of the limelight as much as you have done. Was it their decision to stay in the background?

Clytie Mon 25-Mar-13 10:56:15

Hello Judy

Congratulations on your book.

I was chatting with a couple who were writers once, and they said that they never looked at each others' books until they were published. I wondered whether this was the same for you and Richard, or whether you read and commented along the way?

Thank you.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 25-Mar-13 12:57:03

We're delighted that Judy is here and ready to go....

JudyFinnigan Mon 25-Mar-13 12:57:29

testing

sneetch Mon 25-Mar-13 12:59:43

Hi Judy, welcome to Gransnet. You have made the careers of a lot of writers. It is a great achievement. What writers are you proud of having brought to people's attention?

JudyFinnigan Mon 25-Mar-13 13:00:37

kalinka

I understand that you have recently become a grandmother. Congratulations! How does it feel?

Yep! I became a grandmother on October 16th last year. She's called Ivy Florence and she's now 5 months old. It's the most extraordinary feeling. I could never have expected how strongly I would react when I saw her the day after she was born.
Everyone told me that being a grandmother means that you love your grandchild as much as you did your own. I didn't understand this and couldn't really believe it was possible but they're absolutely right. When I first saw her I felt I'd been hammered in the chest. The whole family adores her and she's very very funny. And actually it's even better than having your own child because you don't feel anxious about her, you just get all the best bits. One strange thing I've discovered is that being a grandmother makes me feel very tribal about my family. It really is an expanding circle of trust.

closetgran Mon 25-Mar-13 13:01:13

I know you have said you are prone to depression. Are you a worrier?

twinsmum100 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:03:20

Hi Judy,

I'm from Cornwall originally, where are your favourite places down there?
Are you a cream tea fan?

getmehrt Mon 25-Mar-13 13:03:34

Was it difficult to bring up your children when their parents were household names? You have done a great job of keeping them out of the limelight. And a related question - I think being a step parent is the hardest job, even harder than being a parent - was Richard good at it?

JudyFinnigan Mon 25-Mar-13 13:04:34

libra10

My question is whether you have a set routine for when you write, where you gain inspiration, and do you prefer writing to working on TV?

Looking forward to your interview with Gransnet.

Thanks for your kind comments. I wish I did have a set routine for writing because I'd probably get more done, but sadly I'm not very disciplined. I tend to write when and where the ideas hit me, and oddly enough that's often in the middle of the night when everyone's asleep and I can have absolute peace and quiet. I can't write with any noise in a room at all, either conversation or music. I've gained inspiration most of all from Cornwall, where Eloise is set. We have a house down there and spend as much time as possible there. As for preferring writing to working on TV, yes I do, although I loved working on TV for many years.
The thing is, like everything else, it just becomes routine after a long time. I'm very very glad to have more time to myself now and yes, especially to write.

batgran Mon 25-Mar-13 13:04:55

Who was the most interesting person you ever interviewed?

crostini Mon 25-Mar-13 13:06:15

Did you learn anything useful for your own writing from running the book club for so many years?