Gransnet forums

Webchats

Live webchat with Judy Finnigan - Weds 20 March 1-2pm

(100 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-13 10:50:59

Not only famous for her long-running television partnership with husband Richard Madeley and the most famous book club in Britain, but a successful author herself to boot. Her debut novel, Eloise, became a Sunday Times bestseller in 2012 and is newly released in paperback.

So we're delighted that Judy Finnigan will be joining us at GNHQ on Weds 20 March for a live webchat. Plus... we have a signed copy of Eloise to give away to someone who posts a question. Judy will pick the winner on the day.

nannyah Mon 25-Mar-13 13:40:02

Hi Judy, what would be the best advice you would give to your Granchild?

JudyFinnigan Mon 25-Mar-13 13:42:43

applepie

Hello. Following on from cinnamonstix, are you a feminist? What's it like being branded by your marriage? Did you ever think, hey, why can't we be 'Judy and Richard'?!

I am a feminist, indeed. But that doesn't mean I object to being married, or working with my husband. As for why can't we be Judy and Richard - well, really, who cares? As I've grown older my Feminist edges have mellowed a bit but I still feel very strongly about women's equality and have tried to make my daughter feel the same way.

congereel Mon 25-Mar-13 13:44:36

Do you have to read a lot of not very good books to arrive at your Richard and Judy Book Club picks? Or does someone else get that out of the way for you?

JudyFinnigan Mon 25-Mar-13 13:45:29

twinsmum100

Hi Judy,

I'm from Cornwall originally, where are your favourite places down there?
Are you a cream tea fan?

Not particularly a cream tea fan, and I'm not partial to Cornish pasties either. However there are lots of fabulous places to eat in Cornwall - in particular I would recommend the Talland Bay Hotel and Sam's on the Beach, terrific bistro at Polkerris, near Fowey. It's a converted old lifeboat station, all wood and glass and literally right on the beach with amazing views.

Alphafemale Mon 25-Mar-13 13:46:46

Did you experience either sexism or ageism in your career in television?

JudyFinnigan Mon 25-Mar-13 13:47:48

Jadey

My question to Judy would be how did you adapt to being off air after having that life for so long.

I am honestly happier now than I've been for a long time on TV. I know it's a fantastic job and I always loved interviewing people but it was time for a change. Richard says it's like feeling very comfortable in bed, but you nevertheless have to turn over. I'd had enough of telly simply, and I'm really happy to be away from it.

JudyFinnigan Mon 25-Mar-13 13:49:25

Grannyknot

Hi Judy, we have come to know you as a television presenter and are familiar with your public persona. What are you like in private?

Do you know, I think I'm exactly the same in private life. I actually don't think it's possible to have a different public and private persona. TV is a great detector of insincerity and I really do think that most presenters of the kind of daily TV we always did, for example Lorraine Kelly, are exactly the same off screen as on.

JudyFinnigan Mon 25-Mar-13 13:51:28

nannyah

Hi Judy, what would be the best advice you would give to your Granchild?

I would urge her not to worry as much as I've done in the past. When I look back on all the things I've been anxious about, I wish I'd been able to visit my younger self and tell her everything would work out ok. Ivy is going to be chatty and funny, I can just tell, and all I want for her is to be kind to others and have faith in herself.

JudyFinnigan Mon 25-Mar-13 13:54:30

Alphafemale

Did you experience either sexism or ageism in your career in television?

I was very lucky not to experience ageism at all at work, although that may well have been because I jumped before I was pushed! But yes, sexism does rear its ugly head in telly all the time.
The man is always assumed to be the one who copes in a crisis - for example in the early days of This Morning if there was a sudden important newsflash for which we had to interrupt the programme, the director would always automatically ask Richard to link to it. It drove me mad and I've had many rows about that kind of thing, but later on in my career it stopped happening. But you do have to fight!

JudyFinnigan Mon 25-Mar-13 13:57:34

BAnanas

Hello Judy, I really loved and miss the "Book Club" some of my favourite books have been on your lists, particularly "Star of the Sea" which I would say is one of my all time best reads, possibly not a book I would have chosen if I hadn't tuned in to your programme, I was however disappointed that it lost out as overall winner that year to the appalling, whimsical load of tosh "The Lovely Bones".

There has been another TV book club since yours folded but it's somehow not the same without the unique dynamic between you and Richard. I know you have had enough of TV but I think you were great joint presenters, I particularly like the way you would on occasions chide Richard.

I have to confess I haven't read your own book yet but it's on my list. Good luck with any future ventures.

I agree with you about Star of the Sea which is absolutely brilliant. I also agree with you about The Lovely Bones which despite the fact that it became the winner of that selection group I have to admit I never really liked. I felt it was not only creepy but oddly exploitative. But I'm afraid I was outnumbered and lost that particular argument.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 25-Mar-13 13:58:50

Thanks so much to Judy for her long and fascinating answers. It's been a pleasure having her here.

JudyFinnigan Mon 25-Mar-13 14:00:00

It's been an absolute pleasure for me. Thanks so much for all your questions - they were really interesting. Grans obviously are highly intelligent and should rule the world!

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 25-Mar-13 14:10:43

Congrats to glassortwo, who Judy has picked to win a signed copy of Eloise! Please check your PMs for more details.

glassortwo Mon 25-Mar-13 14:28:13

Thank you very much kat thats a nice surprise. Will check my emails smile

glammanana Mon 25-Mar-13 17:48:09

glass well done you x

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 25-Mar-13 20:05:25

Just to add - Our winning poem from our World Poetry Day competition was read by Judy Finnigan... Well done again Gally! Watch the video clip here.

glassortwo Mon 25-Mar-13 20:11:34

Well done Gally smile

whenim64 Mon 25-Mar-13 20:44:06

Oh, what a treat to have Judy Finnegan read your poem, Gally! Congratulaions flowers

Gally Mon 25-Mar-13 21:28:44

Thanks Judy! That was a lovely surprise to wake up to this morning. My DD3 has just posted 'my Mum friggin' rocks!' (There's a private education for you hmm)

Clytie Tue 26-Mar-13 13:26:29

Congratulations, Gally!

numberplease Wed 27-Mar-13 15:54:29

Brilliant Gally!

soop Wed 27-Mar-13 16:14:29

smile smile smile for Gally

Ella46 Wed 27-Mar-13 16:40:50

Well done Gally flowers

glassortwo Wed 27-Mar-13 21:46:07

My book arrived today, thank you smile