Gransnet forums

Webchats

Live webchat with Mary Berry - Tues 21 May 10-11am

(90 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 08-May-13 12:50:50

We are, frankly, beside ourselves with excitement that queen of the kitchen, Mary Berry, will be joining us at GNHQ for a live webchat <panics about baking cake for occasion and discovering it has a soggy bottom>

Mary Berry, CBE is one of the UK’s best-known and most respected cookery writers and television presenters. She has over 80 books to her name and over 6 million sales worldwide. A judge on The Great British Bake Off she has been voted as Britain’s favourite baking companion.

Her new book - Mary Berry’s Cookery Course - is the ultimate kitchen companion for home cooks keen to perfect their skills and learn how to cook some of Mary’s favourite recipes under her expert guidance. It is published by DK (RRP £25) on June 3 and is full of gorgeous recipes ranging from roast chicken to beef wellington, vanilla cupcakes to lemon tart. We have a signed copy to give away to someone who posts a question on the thread. envy envy envy (we might be a teeny bit jealous...)

NanSue Fri 17-May-13 18:37:38

Hi Mary. Loving your work! I'm not really sure if this a silly question. Please forgive me it is. I reckon I bake a pretty good sponge cake even if I say so myself but they are always a bit too thin looking for my liking. I always fill the middle with cream or such like before sandwiching them together but how do I get two really high/tall sponges ? Can I double the mixture and divide between the two tins? but how long do I bake it for? Double the time? Advice on this one would be very much appreciated.

Gally Fri 17-May-13 19:21:59

Hello Mary!
Over 20 years ago 2 friends and I opened a coffee shop in our small village. It became very successful and ran for nearly 8 years until we ran out of puff and sold it as a going concern. Everything was home made (except for the rolls which we got from our village bakery). I relied totally on your recipe books for all my tray bakes and cakes - my piece de resistance was the Easy Chocolate Cake made with milk, oil and plain flour. It's the only sponge I make which will rise and is absolutely delicious!! So, I just want to say a Big Thank You for your, up to now, unacknowledged help in making a success of a small business which literally started with an investment of £300 from each of the partners. Thank you and long may you continue to enthuse the cake makers of the the world! grin

Yofab Sat 18-May-13 08:25:19

Hello Mary, I love baking - something inherited from my mother who made cakes every weekend. Could you tell me the reason why sometimes cakes sink in the middle - very frustrating!

hummingbird Sat 18-May-13 13:21:54

Hello Mary, congratulations on your success - I'm a huge fan of the great British Bake off (and I loved that stunning blue dress)! The chemistry between you and Paul is brilliant! I have a lovely, shiny, free-standing mixer (a recent gift from my hubby). It's the same as the ones used on the show. The problem is that it doesn't seem to give me the same results as my old, well used hand-mixer! Do you think it's just a matter of getting used to it, am I doing something wrong, or shall I just just sell the dratted thing on eBay?

MoonlightSonata Mon 20-May-13 08:56:55

Welcome to Gransnet, Mary!

I don't have an actual baking question, but I'm curious. Given that your professional life centres around cakes, do you also enjoy them in private? Or are you thankful to escape them for a bit?

jojangles Mon 20-May-13 11:53:28

You've accomplished so much, how did you get to where you are today?

And, what is your favourite thing to bake and what is your favourite cake to eat?!

j08 Mon 20-May-13 19:52:31

Do you ever make a Victoria sponge the old way - creaming butter and sugar, adding eggs very carefully, folding in flour. Or is the new way - all-in-together, every time? And is it ok to reduce the amount of sugar in a Victoria sponge. Say 4 oz of sugar instead of 8 oz in a 4 egg one? (to make it a bit healthier)

Thank you.

muriel Mon 20-May-13 20:06:08

Hello Mary,
I've been an admirer of yours for many years, the way you juggle your career and family is to be applauded.

My question is do you feel under pressure to constantly re-define yourself given the ever increasing number of 'celebrity' chefs or do you think people like tried and tested classics?

Personally I prefer the classics!

minky Mon 20-May-13 20:32:51

Does your new book have lots of pictures? I have never been able to fathom why people write recipe books but don't show a picture of how whatever it is is meant to look in the end.

onthesofa Mon 20-May-13 20:35:23

Hello Mary please can you give me some tips on using fondant icing - however I try to do it it always ends up either looking dry and a bit cracked or bumpy - how to get a smooth and professional result? My children's birthday cakes are depending on this so no pressure lol

ursulaminor Mon 20-May-13 20:36:54

I also have a baking question. Which is better - oiling or greasing with butter? I've had a few sponges stick using both so not sure where I am going wrong

carbqueen Mon 20-May-13 20:38:23

Please tell me that sometimes you can't be bothered to cook and fall back on a take away. Pleeeeeeease

MaureenM Mon 20-May-13 23:03:37

Hi Mary. I loved watching the GBBO. I wondered if you had ever tried baking with silicone bakeware? I was bought a set and have made a few cakes with it, but I'm not convinced they are the best they could be.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 21-May-13 08:10:58

The first "grown up" cook book I ever owned (in 1978) was the Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook. I made your chilled lemon flan recipe for my O level practical (I got an A grin) and I make it still for guests and it's always a hit. So thank you!

But yesterday while making one (in your honour!) I noticed for the first time that it's supposed to serve 4. I make it in an 8" dish rather than a 7" one so use 1 1/4 x the ingredients but it generally serves at least 12 (very rich). Please tell me it's a typo!

Banbury Tue 21-May-13 10:02:44

Hi Mary,

I love your floral bomber jacket!

And the Great British Bake-Off is just brilliant telly. Thanks for joining us.

flowers

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 21-May-13 10:06:23

Mary is here! There is huge excitement and admiration of jacket. So we will hand over to her and eat cake!!

cm25 Tue 21-May-13 10:07:32

Hi Mary,

So excited to have this opportunity to talk with you! Looking forward to reading your answers!

I really enjoyed the documentary about you and your career. How did you find making it? Was it an emotional experience for you?

P.s The GBB is one of my TV Highlights, the chocolate roulade is next on my baking list, any tips?

getmehrt Tue 21-May-13 10:11:22

Hi Mary and welcome to Gransnet,

I hate the taste of baking powder. I feel I can always detect it. It tastes metallic and distinctive to me.

When baking powder is called for, can you usually substitute self-raising flour, or do I just have to do without those recipes?

MaryBerry Tue 21-May-13 10:11:57

leona

What sort of granny are you? Do you cook much with your grandchildren or is it a bit of a busman's holiday? And if you do - do you let them lick the spoon? I panic about raw eggs (not that it ever did us any harm)

Thank you so much - I love all your books and look forward to this new one

Hello Leona

You ask whether I'm a good granny and if I cook with the children, and if I worry about raw eggs? I certainly do cook with the children, and I've got 5 of them now! I think it's great for them. It teaches them how to add up because they're using scales. Of course I let them lick the bowl, that's the best bit! I'm not worried about raw eggs. I buy British eggs with a lion on and use them in date. This means that the chicken has been inoculated against salmonella.

whenim64 Tue 21-May-13 10:12:27

Mary, I've been a fan for years and the GBBO is my idea of heaven. Can you recommend a good recipe for two 4/5 year olds who love flinging flour and eggshells around. I think they're getting bored with cookies, brownies, cupcakes and bread. I do allow them to switch the mixer on and off and add ingredients under (very) close supervision. Thanks smile

MaryBerry Tue 21-May-13 10:13:15

Yofab

Hello Mary, I love baking - something inherited from my mother who made cakes every weekend. Could you tell me the reason why sometimes cakes sink in the middle - very frustrating!

Cakes sink in the middle for a variety of reasons. If you take them out of the oven too soon the mixture will dip in the middle because it's not done. If you add too much baking powder it will rise in the oven and towards the end will sink.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 21-May-13 10:13:43

Here at Gransnet we feel there's a dearth of older women on screen and as role models generally. Do you think of yourself as being in the vanguard? Do you think communities like Gransnet might help to make older women more visible in time?

closetgran Tue 21-May-13 10:14:58

Do you ever get sick of cake?

MaryBerry Tue 21-May-13 10:15:04

swizzle

Hello Mary

Fashions in food have changed so much since you began writing books - how have you kept up with that and are there things you made then that you are still making now whatever the fashions?

There are new ingredients arriving all the time and I try to use them in my recipes. For example I can remember when you couldn't buy fennel, avocados or mangoes. So I make sure that in my recipes I give instruction on how to prepare and use them. Sometimes you'll see a new flour labelled cake flour on the shelf in the supermarket. I keep to self raising, plain and strong because cake flours come and go.

MaryBerry Tue 21-May-13 10:16:22

minky

Does your new book have lots of pictures? I have never been able to fathom why people write recipe books but don't show a picture of how whatever it is is meant to look in the end.

My new cookbook, Mary Berry's Cookery Course, is generously illustrated. There are step by step guides for the tricky processes and I'm there to hold your hand throughout. Expect to find perfect omelettes, the very best lasagne and lots of glorious puddings and cakes.