Gransnet forums

Webchats

Michael Palin - live webchat Tues 8 Oct at 11am

(87 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Sep-13 11:50:36

We love his bestselling travel books and we love his TV travel series, including Pole to Pole, Around the World in 80 days...oh and so many more. And that's before we even get started on how much we love Monty Python. And A Fish Called Wanda. And...

Is it any wonder we are just a teeny bit excited that Michael Palin will be joining us for a live webchat?

Add a question for him and you could win a SIGNED copy of his latest book - Brazil, described by The Independent as "a fascinating portrait of a nation". With the World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016, all eyes are on Brazil as never before. Michael explores this vast and disparate nation by train, floatplane and on foot and it makes a fascinating read.

sannao75 Tue 08-Oct-13 12:01:17

Silly question but I'm curious. Can you type on the keyboard "properly" or do you do it like me, the index fingers thing? :-)

MichaelPalin Tue 08-Oct-13 12:03:16

The hour with you all has gone far too quickly - great to have your questions and to know that you're out there looking at the programmes and appreciating the work we all put in.

My latest journey was to Brazil and the book, which is basically my diaries of the journey, is out there is now in the shops. So I would be pathetically grateful if any of you, or your dog, would like to go in buy one. It's fun - as Brazil was, and what I saw and experienced in Brazil would warm up any cold winter night in the good old UK.

Thanks again and have a very happy life!

whenim64 Tue 08-Oct-13 12:04:11

Lovely, lovely man! smile

sannao75 Tue 08-Oct-13 12:04:18

When's the next time you and the other Pythons will meet up?(I assume you do from time to time)

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 08-Oct-13 12:28:16

We put everyone's names into a giant cake tin (had to eat the cake first - shame) and the name pulled out to win the signed copy of Brazil was...

dubdubdub

Congratulations to you. Email winging its way to you shortly

NfkDumpling Tue 08-Oct-13 12:47:21

Congratulations Dubdubdub!

whenim64 Tue 08-Oct-13 12:52:59

Brilliant dubdubdub. Congratulations!

Greatnan Tue 08-Oct-13 13:13:09

I didn't post any questions because I hate to sound sycophantic and I like him so much! He and David Attenborough are my favourite presenters.
He comes across in these answers just the way I expected - kind, funny, self-deprecating, and charming. Long may he continue.
His remark about needing to see what is over the next hill, or round the next bend, exactly mirrors my own attitude to travel.

NfkDumpling Tue 08-Oct-13 15:49:08

I just had to ask something as that's the closest I'm ever likely to get!

Greatnan Tue 08-Oct-13 17:24:27

I thought the questions were all very good.

Deedaa Tue 08-Oct-13 21:10:52

My mother worked in W.H.Smith in he 70's. Michael was in her queue one day and they had a long chat about silliness. Lovely man, made her day!