Gransnet forums

Webchats

Ken Hom webchat Thursday 30 January 2-3pm

(78 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 16-Jan-14 16:27:09

Celebrity chef, author and TV personality Ken Hom is acknowledged as one of the world's leading experts on authentic Chinese and Asian cuisine and this year celebrates his 30th anniversary as the UK's best loved chef.

An opportunistic meeting with Madhur Jaffrey at a party in New York in 1982 resulted in Madhur recommending Ken to the BBC. Within a year he was offered his own TV series, debuting in 1984 and as they say the rest is history! Ken has been credited with almost single-handedly introducing the nation to authentic Chinese food and the delights of using a wok.

Since then Ken has never been far from our TV screens, recently starring in his own TV series and is a regular guest on BBC Saturday Kitchen. In the last 18 months Ken has sold over 14 million chilled ready meals and over 2.6 million portions of egg fried rice - enough for everyone in Greater Manchester!

In 2009 he was an awarded with an honorary OBE for 'services to culinary arts'. Ken has published over 80 books worldwide, has worked as a consultant for hotels and restaurants and cooked personally for presidents, prime ministers, celebrities and royalty.

To download a copy of Ken’s 30th anniversary booklet please visit: www.kenhom.co.uk

Ken will be answering your questions on Thursday 30 January 2-3pm.

CaffeineAddict Fri 17-Jan-14 09:47:58

Hello Ken! What's your favourite Chinese dish to cook? And your favourite non-Asian dish?

Galen Fri 17-Jan-14 13:17:20

I love your liver recipe and also your lemon chicken. My book falls open (when it's not stuck together) on those pages! I really must buy a new copy.
Would the liver one work with chicken livers do you think?

Drhookfan6 Mon 20-Jan-14 11:43:57

How do you get those tasty sauces as in beef dishes is it black bean sauce????

buzzbee Mon 20-Jan-14 15:30:53

I've read you use to teach Italian cooking - what's your favourite dish? Do you still cook it often?

AnneMaria Tue 21-Jan-14 12:38:38

I've binned a couple of woks now where am I going wrong?

Oldtimer Thu 23-Jan-14 17:46:59

Hi Ken
Remember the good old days?Spencer Wilcox my hubby worked with you and have good memories of you!
We have a number of books,we love Chinese and follow you!
Even though Spencer has Alhizemeres he has lots of good memories.

Oldtimer Thu 23-Jan-14 17:48:39

They needed to be oiled at a right heat and not washed

EmilyHarburn Fri 24-Jan-14 11:37:18

Dear Ken
Every year my husband and I hold a Chinese New Year party for 40 friends and neighbours. I usually cook English food, i.e. cold salmon and new potatoes with quiches & salads etc. Now he would like me to produce a Chinese buffet!!! I am wondering how to manage this as I do not have outside help. Can you suggest dishes that can be cooked in advance in large quantities? I am thinking of chicken with cashew nuts, Sweet and sour prawns, mixed vegetable chow mien. I found a recipe where you make sweet and sour sauce from orange marmalade, ginger marmalade and cider vinegar. What dishes would you suggest I make and are there any short cuts like this that you think would work?

aganana Mon 27-Jan-14 12:23:38

I would love some ideas on how to make Chinese food healthy - I am dieting so have stopped our regular takeaways but missing it so much. Hoping I can recreate some of our favourites but without too much oil etc - hope you can help

zeezaa Mon 27-Jan-14 12:26:52

Hello Ken. I would like advice about cooking beef. When we go to our local Chinese restaurant that's what I always order. But when I try making dishes at home it always goes rubbery. Am I using the wrong cut? Cutting it up wrong? Or cooking it wrong? How can I keep it tender? (sorry that's a lot of questions)

melaina Mon 27-Jan-14 12:37:56

Following on from zeeza - my two favourite dishes are lemon chicken and sweet and sour. I have also tried making both these at home but the chicken comes out greasy rather than crispy and the sauce just isn't the same. How can I make my dishes taste authentic (I suspect that what we get in our local restaurant may not be actually authentic but it tastes good and I would like to recreate!)

chixxy Mon 27-Jan-14 12:45:50

Egg fried rice. Have tried so many ways to make it (egg on its own, egg onto rice etc) and it always comes out as a greasy lump. Please please can I have a foolproof recipe?!

theMulberryTree Mon 27-Jan-14 14:50:47

Hi Ken. When I look for recipes online, they always say add rice vinegar or cook with peanut oil. I have a Chinese friend and her mother has said don't bother with all that - it's expensive and it tastes just the same cooking with sunflower or vegetable oil, and you don't need rice vinegar at all! What do you think?

Deckofcards Mon 27-Jan-14 14:52:00

What's the difference between dark and light soy sauce? In terms of what they're used for etc.

Lizzie58 Mon 27-Jan-14 14:59:20

HI KEn my worry is also authenticity. how different is what you'd find at a Chinese take-away restaurant to the food you'd actually come across in China? Unfortunately I've never been able to go but at least I can try some authentic cooking instead!

ambertoby Mon 27-Jan-14 15:05:00

Please could you let me know your favourite vegetarian dish? I haven't done much Chinese cooking before but Ive recently become a vegetarian and i'm hoping it will be a way tp explore different vegetables than i am used to - and more exotic ones I hope!

marbles Tue 28-Jan-14 14:26:56

Crispy shredded chilli beef is may absolute favourite - is it easy to make? And is it as unhealthy as I think?!

shelagh Tue 28-Jan-14 14:48:31

is there a way I could make crispy duck gluten free? thank you

Scream Tue 28-Jan-14 16:41:54

Do you have any recipes for dim sum? It always seems very fiddly and a lot of effort for small plates!

GillianSmith Wed 29-Jan-14 11:01:06

Hi Ken
We are having a Chinese New Year party and whilst I can manage to make a couple of dishes I wondered if you could recommend some extra dishes from your Tesco range that would be best for Chinese New Year
many thanks
Gill

merlotgran Wed 29-Jan-14 15:19:45

Hi Ken, There is always an image of traditional Chinese cookery requiring no more equipment than a wok, steamer, cleaver and chopsticks. Now that western consumer goods are making their way into the Chinese economy, which kitchen gadgets do you think will be the most popular and will recipes need to be adapted to their use?

Bonsai Thu 30-Jan-14 08:55:16

Hi Ken, it saddens me when people think their local Chinese take-away is a good representation of Chinese food! How can we dispel the the myth that Chinese food is just greasy, oily and unhealthy junk food?

LyndaW Thu 30-Jan-14 08:55:33

Hi Ken

Not that I'm much of a cook but I do quite like a stirfry which is quick and easy. But my woks don't last very long? The coating starts coming off early on. Am I doing something wrong? Or what should I be looking for when I buy one?

Thanks

LyndaW Thu 30-Jan-14 09:13:49

Ah, I see someone's already asked that! If I may ask another question, when - if ever! - do you think you'll retire? What drives you to keep working so hard?