Gransnet forums

Webchats

Raymond and Oli Blanc webchat 3 February

(61 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 20-Jan-14 11:53:34

Entirely self taught, Raymond Blanc is now one of the world's leading chefs. He has brought his passion for exquisite French cuisine to the UK and has a number of restaurants across the country including his famous two Michelin starred restaurant Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons.

Raymond's son, Olivier Blanc, was educated at Millfield School before reading English at Leeds University. He went straight into working in television and film as a runner before becoming an assistant director. He then went to New York and completed a director's course at the New York Film Academy. Once back in the UK he returned briefly to television and film before completing an actor's course at Drama Studio London. Olivier continued to act for five years working primarily in television and theatre. He then began to create the Henri Le Worm story world and characters, as a hobby which soon became an all consuming job.

Henri le Worm and his Amazing Cooking Adventures is a series of interactive apps that encourage children and adults alike to connect with food and nature in a positive and playful way. The App is the brain child of Raymond Blanc;s son Oli and his talented business partner the actress Charlotte Salt. The user is immersed in a magical world of fantastic bugs and insects voiced by Simon Pegg. Raymond Blanc has developed the recipes within the app which deliver easy, fun and nutritious meals for the family to enjoy.

Put your questions forward to Raymond and Oli here - they'll be joining us on Monday 3 February 3-4pm.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 05-Feb-14 12:45:30

Watch out video with Raymond and Oli here:

granjura Mon 03-Feb-14 19:21:36

Thanks Raymond- I am so so glad you agree good nutrition is important smile

Galen Mon 03-Feb-14 16:53:26

Thanks. Must try that!

Elegran Mon 03-Feb-14 16:35:24

Bad timing Galen, they have gone! But I can answer that (son-in-law who does that sort of thing, enthusiastic amateur) He roasts his chicken carcase (plus any others he can get hold of from the butcher, or a packet of cheapest chicken wings or something similar) until they go brown. Then he puts the whole trayful including dried-on bits into a pan of water to make the stock.

He asks game butchers for (free) pheasant carcases too - they cut off the good bits to sell - to make game stock.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Feb-14 16:27:18

A huge merci to Raymond and Oli!

Galen Mon 03-Feb-14 16:16:05

How do you get a brown chicken stock?

RaymondBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 16:04:36

Bonjour

Bonjour Raymond!

Je me pemert de vous poser une question en français! Je voulais savoir - Raymond, est-ce que vous estimez, comme beaucoup de Français , que la cuisine anglaise est inférieure a la cuisine française. J'ai vecu en France et mes amis français n'arrêtaient pas de dire que la bouffe anglaise etait degeulasse! J'espère que vous n'êtes pas (tout à fait) d'accord. smile

Ces gens qui denigrent la cuisine Anglaise maintenant ne savent pas qu'il y a une revolution gastronomique en Grand Bretagne. Cela etait vrai il y a vingt ans mais certainement pas maintenant. Londres, par example, est maintenant une ville ou la gastronomie est classee par mi les meilleurs au monde. Sa creativite etait construite sur la diversite des cultures.

La France a un tresor qu'elle doit protege comma un patrimoine precieux. Autrement ell le perdrera. Deja, il y a plus de McDonald en France qu'il y a en Grande Bretagne. Nous de plus en plus dans les Francais mangent du fast food. Et la France devrait etudier le cauchemard de la mal bouffe en Grande Bretagne il y a vingt ans et ses consequences.

chelsss Mon 03-Feb-14 15:57:09

whats it like working with charlotte salt? also your app is fab!

RaymondBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:52:43

granjura

Raymond- we are having a discussion about the school lunches in the UK. Considering Jamie's study of those school lunches- what do you think about the issue? Should strict school uniform be more important than healthy food- from a French point of view?

There are so many studies, which demonstrates very clearly that good food is so important to the health of a young child. His learning abilities, his attention span and his joie de vivre, also connection with where the food comes from (seasonality etc) so of course it's a no brainer. Nutrition is important and at last the government is recognising it. Soon the school food plan will be available in every primary school from 5-14.

RaymondBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:48:32

Galen

I adore French cooking. Have you a good recipe for a sauce Robert as it's one of my favourites.

Sauce Robert belongs to an old repertoire of French cuisine and if i did do this sauce, I wouldn't use demi-glace as it's to heavy and rich. I would use brown chicken stock, but for a quick recipe, 10g of butter, 100g of onion (chopped finely), 70g of white wine (dry) and 100g of brown chicken stock, 15g mustard.

Sweat the onion in butter for 5 minutes, add the wine and boil to remove alcohol, whisk in the mustard, add the chicken stock, reduce until it coats the back of the spoon.

p.s a little bit of fresh herbs such as tarragon, thyme or rosemary will add character to your sauce.

foodfanatic Mon 03-Feb-14 15:45:11

My way of making white sauce is very basic - melted butter, plain flour and milk. It's always hit or miss whether it works out. Any tips? Anything to make it more... exciting?

RaymondBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:44:43

Marthamuffin

Raymond I am interested to know how you got your kids cooking? Also curious to know at what stage to give them new tasks (cutting) and to let them near hot pans?

The fact is, I opened my restaurant as a 28-year-old, and was totally self taught. I had to devote my full attention to creating a successful restaurant and I must say, both my sons were at private school and we were both working so hard that there was no time. It's only after, when they were young adults, that we managed to cook together. They were only coming back once a month and during holidays.

RaymondBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:41:59

Hearmeroar

Your tweet about the Great British Back Off where you said, “The Great British Bake Off. Not much skills, female tears and a winner so thin who makes me doubt of her love for great cooking, baking.” - did you expect to receive the reaction you did? Do you think your comment was slightly misogynistic?

I don't remember that day!! Probably I was in a very out of sorts on that morning, which is very unusual. I agree that my comments were harsh and to some unfair, especially for young people as I understand how difficult it is to work on camera. I apologise!

grandmatobe Mon 03-Feb-14 15:41:16

I always like to add wine to cooking, but am wary when my friend's come for dinner with their children. Is it okay to add a small amount of wine in children's foods for flavour?

OliBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:40:14

CaffeineAddict

Hi Raymond and Oli. Who is your favourite chef?

It has to be my Pops (he's got me in a headlock at the moment, which is affecting my choice). But in all seriousness I think some of my favourite recipes have come from Papa, such as essence of tomato, spring vegetables or cafe creme.But you can also cook some beautiful, simple and rustic food like Henri.

RaymondBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:36:29

CaffeineAddict

Hi Raymond and Oli. Who is your favourite chef?

Of course, there's only one Maman Blanc. She established the cornerstone of my own cooking which is about celebrating seasonality, the very best produce, best variety, and cooking them simply to create some wonderful, delicious food.

OliBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:34:35

wolfie

Following on from chelsss' question I wondered why a worm? I have never thought of worms as gastronomic experts although in this I may be quite wrong grin

Fair point - but I think if we look at having a rat as a chef in Ratatioulle, or friendly sharks in A Shark's Tale, I think if you have the right character and the right design you can make any creature appealing to children. A worm may seem humble but he has a vital job in the garden where he will aerate the soil and help enrich it through decomposition. But to be fair, Henri did complete a three year stage under RB's tutelage at Le Manoir and Brasserie Blanc and came through with flying colours.

RaymondBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:30:52

rosesarered

Hello,
my 8 yr old Grandson is autistic and obsessed with worms; as in, he loves them, and I have to make up 'worm stories' all the time.So, they are a family who live in my garden, parents and 2 children. Daddy worm is very brave and likes having dangerous adventures. Am running out of steam with them though, so what you have created is 'just the job'!
Because Grandson doesn't eat much , do you have a very simple easy to eat recipe [no lumps or much chewing needed] that I could make for his supper. He likes strong flavours. Thank you.

The simplest would be, as he likes strong flavours, to give him a nice ripe Camembert, place it in the oven and bake iot for about 10-15 minutes about 150 degrees. Then the flesh will become very creamy and dip toasted bread, cereal or rye in the liquid Camembert. Easy delicious and a great party dish. Of course, you can add as much garlic as you like, or rosemary, or even truffle.

woof Mon 03-Feb-14 15:30:24

I hear you're hot on school food policies - do you think universal free lunches for all primary school children in year 2 and under is a good idea? I would be worried that standards would drop when the pressure is on for them to provide...

OliBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:28:57

rosesarered

Hello,
my 8 yr old Grandson is autistic and obsessed with worms; as in, he loves them, and I have to make up 'worm stories' all the time.So, they are a family who live in my garden, parents and 2 children. Daddy worm is very brave and likes having dangerous adventures. Am running out of steam with them though, so what you have created is 'just the job'!
Because Grandson doesn't eat much , do you have a very simple easy to eat recipe [no lumps or much chewing needed] that I could make for his supper. He likes strong flavours. Thank you.

Well Henri is thrilled that your grandson is a fan and you can tell him that Henri is a huge fan of his.

supergrannymelly Mon 03-Feb-14 15:28:47

Bonjour Raymond! French people appear to have romance down to perfection. As Valentines is nearly here I would really like to know how you would woo your lovely lady and what dish you would cook to show you love on such a special day.

OliBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:26:59

chelsss

Who came up with the name 'Henri Le Worm' ? Oli or Charlotte?

The actual idea was first formulated in my head, BUT it wouldn't have happened without Charlotte. So you could say we both gave birth to a worm... That my first-born is a giant, segmented creature that breathes through its skin.

RaymondBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:25:53

nicky68

Hi Raymond. My husband has promised that one day he will take me to Le Manoir. I am dying to do - it looks amazing - but I am quite fussy and scared that the food will be too fancy for me. Can you reassure me before he changes his mind and takes me to Pizza Hut instead?

Yes Le Manoir is an amazing place. It has 11 gardens and wonderful food. Please, you must see it as the most welcoming place in the world. The first thing I did was to kill the protocol of tables, to create inclusive luxury. Please look at all the reviews, it's the most welcoming place in the world.

RaymondBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:24:16

bethannie

The Restaurant was one of my favourite TV programmes. Will it ever come back do you think? Did you enjoy being a judge?

Being a judge in The Restaurant was a two-edged sword with so many people that were inept at cooking but "made very good television". They would have made terrible restauranteurs. But we have one best-kept secret, which is the two young men (James and JJ - the ones who winked at me) who are now running an extremely successful cocktail bar called The London Cocktail Bar. Would I do it again? If you give me the right gifted students, yes. Otherwise no!

skyhigh Mon 03-Feb-14 15:22:16

Hello Raymond. Do you mix things up and cook other cuisines?