Gransnet forums

Webchats

Sherrie Hewson webchat 27 February 1-2pm

(50 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:59:13

‘Nanas of the world, let’s start a movement to recruit our grandchildren – no matter how young they are – to cook with us.’ With this positive call to arms Sherrie Hewson delivers a wonderful, practical guide to create hours of fun and delicious, nutritious home-cooking.

Most people know Sherrie Hewson from her iconic roles in hit shows such as Benidorm and Coronation Street, and of course she has been a Loose Woman for over a decade. But what she likes most in the world is being in her kitchen, especially with her grandkids, Olly, seven, and Molly, three.

Sherrie says: ‘Time is the best thing we can give our grandchildren; Nanas have much more time than busy mums and dads. Plenty of time is what my Nana gave to me and I’ve never forgotten the things we shared.’

Sherrie shares memories of her beloved Grandmother Birtles, creative cooking she has tried and tested with her own daughter and grandkids, tips she picked up when owning her own restaurant, and recipes she developed whilst taking part in Celebrity Masterchef. But more than anything she wants to put the fun into creating great tasting family food.

You can purchase Nana’s Kitchen: Over 100 Delicious Family Recipes by Sherrie Hewson in hardback (RRP £18.99) from Amazon.

Sherrie Hewson will be joining us for a live webchat on 27 February at 1-2pm. You can post your questions below.

whenim64 Thu 13-Feb-14 10:51:46

Good for you, Sherrie. I have a feeling you might be preaching to the converted grin

Ruby6918 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:12:19

hi sherrie, well done and good luck with the new book, if you could go to a cooking masterclass with a famous chef who would you choose and why? and what would you say is your never fiails signature dish?

If you could give your grandchildren one piece of advice what would it be ?

Thanks cathy, love your work and u r brill!

Maggiemaybe Fri 14-Feb-14 19:02:49

I'm not altogether sure that Nanas do have so much more time now than busy mums and dads, Sherrie, with the pension age goalposts moving further and further away into the distance for many of us.....

But I want my little grandsons (in many years to come, of course!) to remember me with the same love you obviously have for your own Nana. What is your favourite memory of the time she spent with you?

Yogagirl Mon 17-Feb-14 17:13:52

Hello Sherrie
Well done on writing your book. I watch you all the time on 'loose women', so therefore know how much you love your Grandchildren. I have been 'cut out of my precious grandchildren's lives' for no reason other than spiteful jealous from my granddaughter's step-dad and his mother. We had such a very strong bond, as my granddaughter + D lived with me before this nightmare. How would you cope if this happened to you? I've always wondered.

Milly Fri 21-Feb-14 21:44:10

Dear Yogagirl (I know this is meant for Sherrie but am sure she will forgive me)

You have my heartfelt sympathy re being cut out of your grandchildren's lives. I have been cut out of my great granddaughter's life through a mis-understanding with my granddaughter (who was very close to myself and late husband when she was young) and the hurt is indescribable - as you know. I think you can go to Law over it, but I expect like me, you would feel it would make matters worse even if the Law insisted that you be allowed to see them.

Dear Sherrie,

I have had many happy hours watching Benidorm and your wonderful facial expressions as each disaster occurs. Thank you. I look forward to reading your Recipes - although everything I try and cook turns out awful.

Milly Fri 21-Feb-14 21:58:14

Dear Yogagirl again,
I have just come across a Forum called "Denied Contact" - here in Gransnet. Do read it, it has a lot of sensible advice.

bananatree Sat 22-Feb-14 18:32:45

Hi Sherrie. Can you recommend any easy dishes to make with children? The thought of flour EVERYWHERE scares me.

KatyK Sat 22-Feb-14 18:37:14

Hi Sherrie. Do you eat what you cook? I have always wondered how you manage to stay so slim.

humbug Mon 24-Feb-14 14:44:06

I would love to know more about your celebrity masterchef experience and also whether it was that that gave you the impetus for the book?

nibbles Mon 24-Feb-14 14:45:05

What was your nanna like? She clearly left you with many happy memories. And what sort of nanna are you?

jane379 Mon 24-Feb-14 14:53:44

I had no idea you had run a restaurant. What sort of food was it? Did you like it? I always fantasise about running a little cafe but suspect the reality may not match up

elephantandcastle Mon 24-Feb-14 14:54:39

How important do you think it is for families to eat together?

Connie29 Tue 25-Feb-14 12:39:28

Hi Sherrie. What's the most contentious subject you've discussed on Loose Women where you've thought a fight was going to break out? grin

Venus321 Tue 25-Feb-14 21:26:57

What is your favourite thing to do with your grandchildren? Also, you always wear such nice clothes on loose women, what is your favourite colour?

crumblegran Wed 26-Feb-14 15:15:42

Hi Sherrie

I absolutely love Benidorm. Very sad not too see you and Squirrel live happily ever after.

I just wondered, do you feel there's a lot of ageism in TV at the moment. It seems to be there are fewer and fewer, great funny roles for older women? Madge is such good reminder that not all old people live up to the stereotype, do you think TV producers should do more to offer roles to older people?

malibu Wed 26-Feb-14 15:36:25

Do you ever miss Corrie? I have to say I loved Maureen but Reg was very annoying

Venus321 Thu 27-Feb-14 11:04:23

What is your favourite recipe from your book? smile

Brie Thu 27-Feb-14 11:26:18

Hi Sherrie. Do you prefer acting or presenting? I always liked you in Corrie.

Venus123 Thu 27-Feb-14 11:39:36

Hello Sherrie smile

I've heard you're playing in a movie, do you have any information about that?
Also what sort of activities do you do with your family?

Thank you flowers

cinnamonstix Thu 27-Feb-14 11:58:33

What's soap have you enjoyed being in the most?

I know you're going to say you liked all of them in different ways etc... Come on, Corrie, Benidorm or Emmerdale?? grin

gillybob Thu 27-Feb-14 12:35:52

Hello Sherrie

I too loved Benidorm and feel a bit sorry for the obviously very frustrated and inverted snob that is Joyce Temple-Savage. I would love to know more about "her" and wonder if she started out running a small B&B and worked her way up or was she a holiday Rep "back in the day" ? Was she married to a Mr Temple-Savage?

I think you play the part fantastically well and wonder if there is any "Joyce" in Sherrie?

More more more please. smile

Venus123 Thu 27-Feb-14 13:00:18

Hello me again

This is a weird request but can you show us around the place you are at the moment, just wondering what type of place you have

Thank you

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 27-Feb-14 13:04:57

Sherrie has just arrived and ready to answer your questions, fire away!

SherrieHewson Thu 27-Feb-14 13:10:32

Venus321

What is your favourite recipe from your book? smile

My favourite recipe is my grandmother's coconut and jam tart, mainly because it evokes many memories of my grandmother because I used to go to her house after school. If it was raining, I was unhappy or sad, she would always have a jam and coconut tart for me. It always used to make me feel warm and safe. I could do with some in my life now!