Gransnet forums

Webchats

Frank Lampard Q&A

(49 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 25-Mar-14 11:21:04

As the record-breaking highest scorer for Chelsea and vice-captain of the England squad, the past 12 months have been a winning year for Frank Lampard in other ways. Since launching his Frankie’s Magic Football series for readers aged 5-8 in June 2013, Frank has been an ambassador for literacy with the Reading Agency; supported World Book Day 2014; and met hundreds of young readers.

April 2014 sees the publication of Frankie vs the Knights Nasties – where the incredible magic football takes Frankie and his friends back to medieval times to play against the nastiest knights in the land!

To celebrate publication of the fifth book in his series, Frank Lampard will be answering 10 questions from Gransnetters – answers to be published on 3rd April 2014, when Frankie vs the Knight’s Nasties hits the shelves.

Add your questions asap - and three gransnetters (drawn at random) who post will each win a copy of the book.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 11:34:47

fuck me!!!

Oh, how lovely. Hello Frank. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 11:45:54

Oh I love the sound of those books! Knights and football. What's not to like for an eight-year old?! Or his granny. smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 25-Mar-14 12:31:36

Questions in by midnight on 31 March please smile

millievanillie Tue 25-Mar-14 12:54:08

Ooh I would love to win one!

I would like to ask Frank what inspired him to start writing books

hatty64 Tue 25-Mar-14 12:56:15

I bought the first 3 for my GS and he loved them. Have you been surprised by how successful the books have been given the huge number of children's books on the market you had to compete with?

Tegan Tue 25-Mar-14 13:33:46

I hadn't heard of these books. My grandson is still struggling with having finished the last Harry Potter book [must point out he hasn't read them himself but he's had a great time having his mum read all of them to him at bedtime]. He's just getting interested in football so I'll definately look at these books for him. When you think about it it's obvious to write books that combine football with magic [just wish I'd thought of it first confused]. Not having read the books the answer may be in them but I wonder if/how he includes girl players into the stories and, if he hasn't already is there a plan to do so?

penguinpaperback Tue 25-Mar-14 13:41:00

I shall look out for these books. Grandson loves reading and has read all the younger Dahl, Mr Majeika series. He goes to football practice, loves stories about football and any 'magic' and baddies, these sound perfect.
Were you a young bookworm Frank? Great to hear you are meeting young readers. I'm always telling my grandchildren reading is 'cool' and now I can let them know you're an author this will help me back this up. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 13:58:28

Hello Frank smile[smilesmile

Which is the best stadium you have played in in the UK, not counting Wembley, please. smile

My local one is the Madjeski Stadium in Reading. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 13:58:53

the missing one smile

Riverwalk Tue 25-Mar-14 13:59:29

Frank what do your daughters think of the books ... and dare I ask if they like football? smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 14:13:42

That is such a nice picture. Sigh.

lucyinthesky Tue 25-Mar-14 19:52:49

Hi Frank - no questions but want to wish you and the rest of the team the very best of luck with the rest of the season. I've followed Chelsea since 1963 when my dad took me to Stamford Bridge for the first time :-)

KatyK Tue 25-Mar-14 21:49:28

Hello Frank. What do you think England's chances are in the world cup?

Deedaa Tue 25-Mar-14 22:23:39

I had no idea you were writing books Frank, but these sound ideal for my grandson. Sadly he'll never make a footballer as he's far too much of a loose cannon but he can still read about it.

What would you do to revive AC Milan's fortunes if you were manager? We could do with some fresh ideas from someone!!!

Gally Tue 25-Mar-14 22:37:13

I am about to confess. I have never attended a football match - ever. It's on my list of things to do before I die - better get a wiggle on then wink.
My eldest gs would love your book - he's a great reader and loves his footie albeit Ozzie Rules.
What gives you more pleasure now, scoring on the field or your work with the Reading Agency and seeing the pleasure being able to read brings to your young fans? Silly question?

Pete Thu 27-Mar-14 21:23:00

Hi Frank, have you thought of going into the football management game? I ask as a Man United fan and we may have a vacancy soon! Cheers.

gillybob Fri 28-Mar-14 13:08:15

Hi Frank

I wonder do you think football is something that "is in the blood"?

My dad is a football fanatic (Newcastle United) and was probably gutted to have two daughters neither of whom were in the slightest bit interested although I did go to a few matches with him in the 70's and 80's to oggle the sexy bodies just to keep him company.

When my son was born my dad couldn't wait to introduce him to the beautiful game and was gutted extremely disappointed after taking him to his first game. It was an evening kick off and my son apparently spent the whole game analysing the floodlights and working out which light lit up which part of the pitch. At one point after the millionth "grandad..... how many bulbs do you think........?" My dad confessed to saying "will you just bloody well shut up about the lights and watch the bloody game".

My son grew up to be an Electrician !

Now my grandson on the other hand.................what age group would you say your books are aimed at? smile

CJ Fri 28-Mar-14 13:30:54

Hi Frank
Where do you stand on the subject of the teaching of English grammar in schools -or rather the lack of it- these days? It seems to me that young people today do not know what a verb or an adjective is, so how can they write coherently!

I hope you are going to Brasil. The team needs players with experience.

Always been a big fan of yours and loved your autobiography.

CJ

Buckle Fri 28-Mar-14 13:39:34

Did you start to write for your own children ? Or is it something you always would have dabbled in anyway ?

snowyboots Fri 28-Mar-14 13:40:24

What are your thoughts on the standard of referring in English Premier league matches? also are you for or against goal-line camera technology?

Rosannie Fri 28-Mar-14 13:43:01

What was your attitude to learning in general and reading in particular when you were a young schoolboy? Has your own learning experience influenced your decision to write fun, relevant books for young readers?

Harlequin56 Fri 28-Mar-14 13:43:26

Dear Frank

I'm a huge West Ham fan and your Dad was always my favourite player as a child. How much influence did he have on your writing career? As a child did you get to spend time reading books with him or was it all football?

PS. Please come back to West Ham.

Regards
Glenn Marvell-James

mcculloch29 Fri 28-Mar-14 13:53:44

My grandchildren are a bit old for Frankie's stories, which is a shame.

They are Sunderland season ticket holders and despite that, they both love football.

Have you thought about moving along with your own children and writing for older children and young adults? Or moving into adult fiction even?

Thanks for all your efforts to promote literacy, I'm a literacy and numeracy tutor for adults.
It's so sad when someone says 'I've never read books.' They have missed so much in life.
Cheers, Andrea McC.

IroningMaiden Fri 28-Mar-14 14:13:26

Hi Frank as an avid Chelsea fan your my hero blush

What was your favourite book as a child, and did it inspire you to write your own books.

Thanks