Gransnet forums

Webchats

Professor Richard Overy Q&A

(28 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 03-Apr-14 10:15:51

Richard Overy is Professor of History at the University of Exeter. He is the author of more than 25 books on the era of the World Wars, on the European dictatorships and the history of air power, including The Air War 1939-1945, Why the Allies Won, The Inter-War Crisis, The Morbid Age: Britain and the Crisis of Civilization and most recently The Bombing War: Europe 1939-1945.

His book on Hitler and Stalin won the Wolfson Prize for History in 2004 and in 2010 he was presented with the Doolittle Award by MIT for his contributions to aviation history. He is a Fellow of the British Academy, a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society and a Member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts.

Richard is the Editorial Consultant to World War 1: The Definitive Visual Guide published by DK (RRP £25), which can be purchased on Amazon and all good book shops.

Put your questions forward to Richard by midday 17 April.

Stansgran Fri 04-Apr-14 21:00:03

The only thing we learn from history is that we never learn from history. Do you agree?

Nelliepara10 Sat 05-Apr-14 17:20:15

Is it true that a lot of the records relating to WWI were destroyed in the London Blitz WWII?

My grandfather was in Salford Pals (Lancashire Fusiliers). I know he was awarded the Military Medal because he rescued several soldiers by carrying them across the field in April 1918 at the battle of the Somme.

He did show me his medals and they had been presented at his local church. He refused to go to the Palace because he said every soldier on the field deserved a medal. Sadly he had to retire from work when he was in his fifties due to 'bad legs'. He became bitter about the way he had been treated by the Government and gave his medals to a man knocking at the door seeking scrap metal!

I have tried to find information regarding the award but have been told, as mentioned that most records were destroyed.

MiceElf Mon 07-Apr-14 06:36:24

War crimes have been committed continuously since the end of WWII by all the participants in the many conflicts. Would you like to see a sort of permanent Nuremburg instituted, to hold both national leaders and individuals to account?

Jackthelad Thu 10-Apr-14 17:23:06

Nelliepara10. There are places you can go for records of your granddad's war service record. True his World War 1 Army Service Record may or may not be among those held at The National Archives at Kew as some were destroyed by enemy action in the Blitz, however a record of his Military Medal will be available from the London Gazette. Go to their website and start from there. Also I strongly suspect being a holder of the Military Medal the Lancashire Fusiliers Museum in Bury will have a record of him. Websites like "Findmypast" and "Ancestry" will give you access to Soldiers War Service Records.

MiceElf Fri 11-Apr-14 07:15:21

Two more questions, Professor.

How far do you think WWI contributed to the rise of nationalism in Europe in the interwar years?

And

As this year rolls on there will be commemorations / remembrances and so on, where the events of WWI are recalled. I suspect that many of my generation will have their perceptions of the war heavily influenced by relatives who died. In my case, my French mother's three elder brothers and my English father's two elder brothers. That will not be the case for those of succeeding generations who will perhaps just be aware, for the most part, of names on war memorials and half digested scraps of history, or, perhaps, hopefully, the television series. How do you feel the nation should remember and what are the implications, if any, for European unity and cohesion.

Aka Fri 11-Apr-14 08:09:43

A question that's always puzzled me about Hitler. This is not meant frivolously but how could such a ridiculous-looking individual, coming from nowhere, rise to such a position of power, and carry a nation along with him? I know you've written a whole book about him, but is it possible to sum up his apparent appeal in a few sentences?

And could it happen again in the 21st century?

StrangerOnTheBus Fri 11-Apr-14 08:56:25

I've recently purchased The Definitive Visual Guide. You’ve not focused heavily on the impact of war - how would you describe your focus and how did you come to decide on it? In schools we often teach the impact of the war as opposed to it’s sequence.

Custard Fri 11-Apr-14 09:20:07

I liked the fact that the book was visual and wide ranging, however I can still sense that the book is written for a British audience and with a sense of reflecting the consensual British narrative (no criticism, of course it would be!). Do Historians outside the English speaking world have a significantly different take or focus on events? I’d imagine they do but sadly I’m not bilingual and have always wondered.

brightonrock Fri 11-Apr-14 09:31:27

My fascination has always been with Russian history, but one thing that still bothers me to this day, and which I read about years ago, was the death of Sergei Kirov. Forgive me if this isn't your area of expertise, but I'd like to hear your opinion - did Stalin have him killed, or was it (as it was presented) a grudge killing by an expelled party member? I always think I know which one I think it is and then reconsider!

brightonrock Fri 11-Apr-14 09:43:15

Am I allowed another blush ? Could you also give us your most little-known things that happened during the WWI or II?

hindsight Fri 11-Apr-14 11:39:43

I know WWI had a huge effect on the way wars were fought after that but what was the effect of the second world war ?

papaoscar Sat 12-Apr-14 02:57:33

Hello, Professor Overy. How do you see the increasing use of drones and other remotely-controlled devices influencing the way future wars are conducted? I notice more and more reference to these devices and their increasing sophistication. Will their use limit or extend the risk of warfare?

Nelliepara10 Sun 13-Apr-14 01:07:10

Aka

My late husband was Jewish. He fought in WWII in Burma.

I remember asking him what he thought about Hitler and the Germans in general. He replied that when a country is not doing well the best way for someone who is after power to realise their goals, is to give the people something/someone to hate.

Because his family originally came from Russia and also he was not involved in any action in Germany he never thought badly of them as a race. Hitler he obviously abhorred but he reckoned that he had whipped up a hatred of the Jews for ambitious reasons. He once shocked me by saying the same could have happened in other European countries including the Uk. When the Balkan War was going on, I could see his point.

However, the only time I saw my husband cry was when we were watching a documentary showing POW's released by the Japanese. He was in Burma when this happened and said he had never thought that any human being could treat others so cruelly. He also said that there were rumours that some of the soldiers families were informed that their relative was 'missing in action'. This was due to some of the pow's being chronically sick and suffering from severe mental health issues. He did not think this could be true but was never sure.

willsandco Mon 14-Apr-14 23:10:19

This isn't a question about any World War, Richard. I just wanted to ask you if we were in the same class at Blackford Grammar School 1958-63? My name was Joycie Pope. Whenever I see your name, I am curious. If so, you have done so well. Many congratulations.

RichardOvery Wed 23-Apr-14 09:39:54

Stansgran

The only thing we learn from history is that we never learn from history. Do you agree?

No, there are many things to learn from history, but history is not a manual where solutions to current problems can be found. A knowledge of history, however, could help policy makers and public make more informed and sympathetic decisions and soften attitudes based on prejudice. The problem is not history, but how that history is communicated.

RichardOvery Wed 23-Apr-14 09:40:30

Nelliepara10

Is it true that a lot of the records relating to WWI were destroyed in the London Blitz WWII?

My grandfather was in Salford Pals (Lancashire Fusiliers). I know he was awarded the Military Medal because he rescued several soldiers by carrying them across the field in April 1918 at the battle of the Somme.

He did show me his medals and they had been presented at his local church. He refused to go to the Palace because he said every soldier on the field deserved a medal. Sadly he had to retire from work when he was in his fifties due to 'bad legs'. He became bitter about the way he had been treated by the Government and gave his medals to a man knocking at the door seeking scrap metal!

I have tried to find information regarding the award but have been told, as mentioned that most records were destroyed.

No, most World War I records survived the bombing. Those that are lost may well have been deliberately weeded out or dispensed with because they were regarded as unnecessary for the historical record. A trip to The National Archives might well turn up detail of your grandfather’s record.

RichardOvery Wed 23-Apr-14 09:41:00

MiceElf

War crimes have been committed continuously since the end of WWII by all the participants in the many conflicts. Would you like to see a sort of permanent Nuremburg instituted, to hold both national leaders and individuals to account?

There is such an institution – the International Criminal Court. The problem is that even with a court and a body of international law, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to impose that law on major powers. Otherwise Putin and his colleagues would be arraigned for violating the UN Charter.

RichardOvery Wed 23-Apr-14 09:42:40

MiceElf

Two more questions, Professor.

How far do you think WWI contributed to the rise of nationalism in Europe in the interwar years?

And

As this year rolls on there will be commemorations / remembrances and so on, where the events of WWI are recalled. I suspect that many of my generation will have their perceptions of the war heavily influenced by relatives who died. In my case, my French mother's three elder brothers and my English father's two elder brothers. That will not be the case for those of succeeding generations who will perhaps just be aware, for the most part, of names on war memorials and half digested scraps of history, or, perhaps, hopefully, the television series. How do you feel the nation should remember and what are the implications, if any, for European unity and cohesion.

Yes, the First World War was a critical experience in building a modern sense of national identity and national rivalry, which played an important part in causing the crises of the 1930s and the eventual world war. I think that the First War should be remembered as a disaster for Europe as a whole and not simply be seen in national or nationalist terms. The anniversary should provide an opportunity to reflect on the dangers of national rivalry and prejudice and to endorse the principles of the new Europe.

RichardOvery Wed 23-Apr-14 09:43:39

Aka

A question that's always puzzled me about Hitler. This is not meant frivolously but how could such a ridiculous-looking individual, coming from nowhere, rise to such a position of power, and carry a nation along with him? I know you've written a whole book about him, but is it possible to sum up his apparent appeal in a few sentences?

And could it happen again in the 21st century?

No, it could not happen in the same way, but throughout history there have been bizarre, messianic figures preaching their own vision of salvation. What was unusual about Hitler was his success in projecting that bizarre personality into German politics and persuading a fraction of German society to follow him like some malign Pied Piper. Messianic figures succeed only to the extent that other people see them as messiahs, but not necessarily from their own qualities, which in Hitler’s case were clearly limited.

RichardOvery Wed 23-Apr-14 09:44:45

StrangerOnTheBus

I've recently purchased The Definitive Visual Guide. You’ve not focused heavily on the impact of war - how would you describe your focus and how did you come to decide on it? In schools we often teach the impact of the war as opposed to it’s sequence.

The decision to shape the book this way reflected the need to show a wider public that the war was not just the Somme and the Western Front. The narrative thrust presents all aspects of what was a truly global war and getting that message across is an important one in itself. The impact of war is a large and often speculative subject, and one that would really deserve its own volume.

RichardOvery Wed 23-Apr-14 09:46:04

Custard

I liked the fact that the book was visual and wide ranging, however I can still sense that the book is written for a British audience and with a sense of reflecting the consensual British narrative (no criticism, of course it would be!). Do Historians outside the English speaking world have a significantly different take or focus on events? I’d imagine they do but sadly I’m not bilingual and have always wondered.

A good question, though a great effort was made to avoid making this volume appear through a British lens. Of course other cultures see the war differently. In the former areas of European empire, the war can be seen as evidence of the bankruptcy of European claims to be the most ‘civilised’ and hastened the collapse of the old imperial order. In Germany the war is seen much more as the prelude to decades of disaster rather the triumph of ‘right’ over ‘might’. In Italy there is a strong pacifist tradition which sees the war simply as an unnecessary tragedy for Italy and peace as a more sensible option, both then and now.

RichardOvery Wed 23-Apr-14 09:46:27

brightonrock

My fascination has always been with Russian history, but one thing that still bothers me to this day, and which I read about years ago, was the death of Sergei Kirov. Forgive me if this isn't your area of expertise, but I'd like to hear your opinion - did Stalin have him killed, or was it (as it was presented) a grudge killing by an expelled party member? I always think I know which one I think it is and then reconsider!

brightonrock

Am I allowed another blush ? Could you also give us your most little-known things that happened during the WWI or II?

My view is that the murder really was carried out by an embittered party member, but this is the kind of issue where the evidence (if there is any) to convict Stalin will long ago have disappeared or been suppressed. So any conclusion will necessarily be tentative.
To your second question it is difficult to find a ready answer. Much of what happened is poorly known to a wider audience, which is one of the purposes behind the DK book. Perhaps the least known of all is the Japanese occupation of the German island colonies in the Pacific (Marshall and Marianas Islands) which were later fought for by the American in World War II at terrible cost to both sides.

RichardOvery Wed 23-Apr-14 09:47:30

hindsight

I know WWI had a huge effect on the way wars were fought after that but what was the effect of the second world war ?

What a huge question too. The Second World War, in brief, consolidated some of the changes seen in the First War (radio, tanks, aircraft) but also opened the way to the weapons systems of the Cold War (rockets, nuclear weapons, radar and electronic warfare, electronic intelligence systems) as well as changing the way forces were organized (more mobile, self-contained, multi-arm units – derived from the famed Panzer Divisions of the German Army).

RichardOvery Wed 23-Apr-14 09:48:00

papaoscar

Hello, Professor Overy. How do you see the increasing use of drones and other remotely-controlled devices influencing the way future wars are conducted? I notice more and more reference to these devices and their increasing sophistication. Will their use limit or extend the risk of warfare?

I think these weapons are already at war, so the risk has already been realised. They do have the danger that war will seem easier to wage if you are a rich power with the capacity to launch attacks of devastating power while sitting in a bunker thousands of miles away. War will seem more and more like a vast video game and the damage inflicted will be too remote to matter very much to those inflicting it. Anything which makes international conflict easier to contemplate should be treated as a dangerous development, but finding a way, either through international agreement or popular protest, to restrict the use of drones is difficult.