Gransnet forums

Webchats

Des O'Connor webchat 12 November

(75 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Nov-14 13:09:28

Yes, the man himself is dropping into GNHQ on 12 November to answer all your questions on showbiz life and his new book Laughter Lines: Comic Verse to Celebrate Life's Little Moments.

The entertainment legend has an illustrious career spanning over fifty years. London born, in 1932, Des started touring in variety shows in 1953 and, as you all know, went on to become a much-loved singer, chat show host and stage and screen star.

He has released thirty-six albums with record sales of over 16 million. Des landed his first television series in 1963 and went on to star in his own mainstream TV shows for over forty-five years - longer than anyone else in the world. His recent television work includes Today with Des and Mel, Countdown and The One and Only Des O'Connor.

Leave your questions for Des below, and join us from 12-1pm on 12 November to hear the answers!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 13:40:31

Ooh! Lovely!

Always been a fan. He's great. I saw him at the London Palladium back in the sixties. He was on with two other comedians. I wonder if he can remember their names, cos I can't. I think he was backing Cliff Richard.

I joined his fan club. Only fan club I ever joined.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 13:42:28

Ah! Just read he has appeared at the Palladium well over a thousand times, so I don't suppose he can remember it. Never mind.

I loved his singing, his jokes and his gorgeous smile.

I'll shut up now.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 13:43:12

Sigh! smile

numberplease Mon 03-Nov-14 15:03:27

I`m another huge fan, from way back before he started making records, which I think was in 1967. I remember, don`t know if he will, that he did a skit, many years ago,on the song, Bless Our Mountain Greenery, he took it line by line and showed how ridiculous it was when you really listened to the words of the song. My favourite record of his will always be I Pretend, although I`ve enjoyed many of the others. Long may he continue to entertain us.

henetha Tue 04-Nov-14 10:29:52

Hi Des,
what an amazing career you have had. Do you have a favourite show,
or an outstanding moment?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 04-Nov-14 13:28:33

How is your sweet little boy? Do you have fun together? Is he keeping you young? smile

gillybob Wed 05-Nov-14 16:13:36

Hi Des. Just wondering how you always manage to look so happy and cheerful? Is there anything that gets you down?

Also (am I allowed 2 questions???) Why did you allow Morcambe and Wise to make fun of your singing/records ? How did this come about? I actually think you have a really good voice. smile

Riverwalk Wed 05-Nov-14 16:23:52

Gilly I was never a particular fan of Des O'Connor but did think he was always a good sport when M & W took the p*ss out of his singing!

He seems good natured smile

Bralee Thu 06-Nov-14 19:10:35

Have always been a fan of Des, both for his singing and chat shows. Have always wanted to ask him about one of my favourite 45's called "I'm always thinking of you"' I had this record once but left it at a party. Did Des enjoy recording that record as I don't think I can recall him singing this on any show? I loved it and still can sing all the words! Sue..

suliza Thu 06-Nov-14 20:11:24

I was born in Northampton . I know that des lived here for a time. I worked for sumarts sewing centre Wellingborough road Northampton. we sold sewing machines and patterns and material and also made ladies clothes. at one time we made and fitted dresses for mrs O`Connor. I was always proud to say I made des O`Connors mums dresses

gillybob Fri 07-Nov-14 11:45:15

Did anyone hear Des on the Chris Evans Breakfast Show (Radio 2) this morning? His new book is a book of poems. I had no idea I thought it was just another boring biography shock The ones he recited on the show were really very funny. smile

gillybob Fri 07-Nov-14 11:47:01

Ooooops "someone" didn't read the OP properly. It quite clearly says
Comic Verse sorry.

SheilaZ Fri 07-Nov-14 19:24:57

Hi Des I saw you at The Palladium (I think) with my mother, this must have been quite a few years back. I wanted let you know how much joy you've given me over the years, and my husband is the same age as you - so I want to know what your secret is and can we have some!

diddle Mon 10-Nov-14 11:17:45

Hello Des I am another great fan. You always look so tanned - I am very pale and would like some tips please!!

manorborn Mon 10-Nov-14 11:19:30

I heard you are 82. How can this be? And what is your secret?

tunamayo Mon 10-Nov-14 11:21:46

You have worked with so many greats over the years - even off the top of my head I can think of Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand and The Beatles and loads more. Who's been your favourite (and actually your least favourite - do tell!)

sean411 Mon 10-Nov-14 11:23:23

Just read on Twitter that you are answerng questions. The one I would like to ask is how you feel about TV entertainment today - less variety, more reality. I don't think this is a good thing but would love to hear your opinion

nannynoodle Mon 10-Nov-14 11:29:52

Dear Des, I have been a great fan of yours for many years. I would like to know when you started writing poetry and why you enjoy it. Also where you find your inspiration. With thanks

billiebooks Mon 10-Nov-14 12:03:10

Did you enjoy presenting Countdown? I thought you were great but didn't stay around long enough. Are you good with anagrams and number puzzles yourself?

peterb Mon 10-Nov-14 12:12:21

Like many of the people who have posted on here already I am a big fan and an admirer of the variety of your talents. I would love to know whether you prefer being a singer or a presenter? Or (I should probably ask in view of why you are here) a writer?

nananew Mon 10-Nov-14 12:34:56

Hi Des!

You got some criticism for having your son later in life. My daughter has recently had a baby and felt criticised for being too young. You cant win!

I am sure he has brought you nothing but joy but what would you/did you say to the critics?

Any grandchildren on the cards too?!

ollieamber54 Mon 10-Nov-14 15:12:22

.one of my favourite things from your career is when you appeared with morecambe and wise & they used to call you death o connor. Love morecambe and wise - was appearing with them as much fun as it looked? what were they like to work with??

numberplease Mon 10-Nov-14 16:11:56

Dear Des, I still remember (enthusiastically) the live talk show with Stan Boardman, about the Fokker and the Messerschmidt, after which your shows had to be recorded, not live anymore, which was a shame, that particular show was hilarious, did you ever resent that fact?

Waterdown Mon 10-Nov-14 16:41:52

Hello Des, Thanks for coming onto grans net. You've met so many (very!) famous faces from the television world over the years, I was wondering if you had a funny story about anyone that we might not expect? Thanks for years of entertainment, my DH and I love you.