Gransnet forums

Webchats

Kate Winslet and Alan Rickman video Q&A 14 April

(82 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Apr-15 22:54:13

Gransnet are delighted to be speaking to Kate Winslet about her role in new film A Little Chaos, directed by another well-loved English actor, Alan Rickman - who we'll also be putting your questions to! Want to know the ins and outs of shooting (and directing!) a period drama? Just how comfortable it is to sport a corset (even as part of a costume)?! Here's your chance. Leave your (film-related) questions for Kate and Alan on the thread by 14 April at 9am and we'll be filming their answers shortly after.

A Little Chaos re-imagines the creation of the Rockwork Grove, one small element of the Sun King, Louis XIV’s building of the magnificent Palace of Versailles. Madame Sabine De Barra (Kate Winslet) is an unlikely candidate for landscape architect of the still-to-be-completed Palace of Versailles. She has little time for the classical, ordered designs of the man who hires her, the famous architect Le Nôtre (Matthias Schoenaerts). However, as she works on her creation, she finds herself drawn to the enigmatic Le Nôtre and forced to negotiate the perilous rivalries and intricate etiquette of the court of King Louis XIV (Alan Rickman). But Sabine is made of strong stuff; her honesty and compassion help her to overcome both the challenges of her newfound popularity, and an unspeakable tragedy from her past, to win the favour of the Sun King and the heart of Le Nôtre.

LuanaMender Sat 11-Apr-15 01:23:26

Dear Kate and Alan,
What are some things actors do to maintain relax in an audition?

LuanaMender Sat 11-Apr-15 01:23:51

Dear Kate and Alan,
How old were you when you first got into acting?

LuanaMender Sat 11-Apr-15 01:27:02

Dear Kate and Alan,
What has been the hardest part of your career?

LuanaMender Sat 11-Apr-15 01:27:28

Dear Kate and Alan,
What are some of your career aspirations?

LuanaMender Sat 11-Apr-15 01:27:45

Dear Kate,
What was it like working with Alan Rickman?

LuanaMender Sat 11-Apr-15 01:28:04

Dear Kate and Alan,
What is the best advice you have ever been given as an actress/actor?

Lona Sat 11-Apr-15 08:36:20

Blimey! Not much left for anyone else to ask!

I'm looking forward to seeing this film, I'm a big fan of both Alan and Kate.

MartaCGC Sat 11-Apr-15 10:08:21

Dese Alan

First of all. Congratulations for your work in this movie! I watched in Dublin and love it! I Heard and read that wasn't your first choice acting in your own film. So.. Would you had liked some actor in particular for Louis XIV role? Get on board! wink Thank you!!

Marta (Spain)

Agus Sat 11-Apr-15 10:10:01

lulie/Luana. We were invited to ask A question, not do a private interview!

Definitely on my must see list. Wishing you both every success.

Eloise35 Sat 11-Apr-15 15:15:20

Hi ! smile

Here are my questions for Kate Winslet :

- Would you have loved to live in this period of History?
- Have you ever been to Versailles?
- Do you speak a bit of french ? If yes, can you say some words/sentences?
- Was there something you found hard while shooting A Little Chaos?
- Can you tell us a funny anecdote from the set? / Can you tell us your best memory from the set?
- What did you like the most in Sabine De Barra's character?

Here are my questions for Alan Rickman :

- Why did you choose to shoot in England and not in France?
- Is it a period of History that interest you a lot and why?
- Can you tell us your best memory from the set?
- Have you ever been to Versailles?
- How was it to work (again) with Kate Winslet?
- Do you like gardening?

Thanks a lot ! I can't wait to see the interview ;)

Eloise35 Sat 11-Apr-15 15:19:16

By the way I'm from France so, I'm sorry if there are some mistakes smile

Marmight Sat 11-Apr-15 15:37:37

Welcome LuanaMender. I take it you are a newbie and possibly related to LulieMender??? As Agus says, it is usual to ask just one, or maybe two questions, not monopolise the entire thread shock

ruthmaute Sat 11-Apr-15 16:50:22

Do either of you have allergies to flora, or even bees, which would make performing in this film difficult?

Knowing that Kate has a history of being made to jump into water for her films, did you feel some guilt at doing the same in ALC?

In a featurette for ALC on YouTube, it looks like Kate's daughter appears for a moment in a scene. Is she going to be an actor, too?

Alan got to work with Clive Owen years ago, what will it take for Kate to do the same? He's one of the best actors alive (next to you two, of course).

Will either of you please work on Broadway in New York? Please!

Consensus says that right now is the Golden Age of Television. Rather than doing a mini-series, would either of you commit to doing a regular television series at least once in your lifetime? Such as Breaking Bad, Fortitude, Game of Thrones, The Knick, Shameless, etc.?

Finally, can we all agree and publicly announce that Stanley Tucci is the greatest character actor of our Time?

Thank you & we are thoroughly looking forward to seeing your film. xox

Musician Sun 12-Apr-15 14:57:39

Mr. Rickman, first of all I wanted to thank you for such wonderful and versatile films like „Snow Cake“, "The Winter Guest", „Truly, Madly, Deeply“... I admire your work deeply and I’m looking forward to seeing „A Little Chaos“. Amongst others, I’m a teacher for Music, so my question refers to the film score. I’m interested in learning something about the proceeding. For example, did you exert any influence on the composer Peter Gregson in terms of telling him about your own imaginations relating to the music?

nadia23 Sun 12-Apr-15 17:10:45

Question for Kate: This is your second time working with Alan Rickman. You've also worked with Leonardo DiCaprio twice. Is there anyone else you'd love to work with again? P.S.: everyone is waiting for you to do a third movie with Leo! When can we expect that third collaboration?

Marialana Mon 13-Apr-15 02:08:44

For Mr Rickman - I'd like to say that I have respected and enjoyed your work for many years and truly appreciate the dedication that you've brought to your craft. You've mentioned in the past that acting involves every part of you, the mental & the physical. How difficult is it for you to invest yourself so deeply into your roles, and how do you find ways to recharge yourself once the project is completed so that you yourself are not depleted?

Marialana Mon 13-Apr-15 02:13:57

For Mr. Rickman - You often speak of cinema & theater as being a part of the great human storytelling chain, and have commented on the increasing disconnect between people due to technology. Do you feel the great chain is seriously threatened by the new ways of human interaction, and if so what can cinema and theater do to re-strengthen it?

NfkDumpling Mon 13-Apr-15 07:05:02

A question really for both of you. I have an appalling memory. Have you any tips that may help? Especially remembering names - this can be very embarrassing although by my age I am quite adept at hiding it (or blantent depending on the situation).

Do you remember the lines to all your films/plays? How do you cope with so much stuff being crammed in your head!?

(I think you are both fantastic by the way!)

JackyB Mon 13-Apr-15 11:43:16

I live in Germany and will have to wait till 30 April to see this film. Does the director have any say at all in release dates, or is that left completely to the business end of the setup?

And on a completely different tack: Did you use any help from France, be it in the form of actors, historians, museums, cinema people or costume historians?

AnaSpain Mon 13-Apr-15 11:51:13

Hello!

I would like if the movie comes to Spain and others countries whith Spanish language. You have a lot of fans!

Thanks
Ana

soulcage Mon 13-Apr-15 18:50:45

For Mr. Rickman:

Germany is in serious need of A Little Chaos - will you attend a premiere/screening here?

Thank you so much for being a role model regarding moral values and thoughts/views on this world.

soulcage Mon 13-Apr-15 19:37:58

For Mr. Rickman:

To me, most of your work is very special and thought provoking (The Winter Guest, Closet Land, Snow Cake, Song of Lunch, etc.).
However, the mass media (mainstream TV and blockbuster movies) seem to be getting shallower by the year - How do you feel about this seemingly increasing displacement of art and culture in mass media (and people getting lazier at the same time - watching at home instead of going to the cinema/theatre)?

PS: I'm not sure if I fully thanked you for signing my copy of The Winter Guest screenplay in Prague two weeks ago. So thank you very much! Especially for the personalisation.

Nicole, Germany

Musician Mon 13-Apr-15 19:52:50

For Mr. Rickman:

This is a somewhat delicate question. Do you think there are similarities between Louis XIV. and current regents/politicians?

Deedaa Mon 13-Apr-15 22:17:19

Dear Alan,

I just want to thank you for all the pleasure you have given us. I think I first saw you (as Danton?) in the BBC series about the French Revolution and that made a big impression. Since then there has been so much to enjoy - Evil Villain in Die Hard, Romance in Truly, Madly, Deeply, Comedy in Galaxy Quest, Unthinking husband sleepwalking into disaster in Love Actually, Which side is he on? Severus Snape ..... the list goes on and on! Once again thank you and I hope there are many more great performances to come.

LuanaMender Tue 14-Apr-15 00:48:42

Dear Kate,
I know that you won't read this, but I'll write it anyway.
For years and years, you've been the light of my life. You've been my inspiration, my source of strenght, the reason why I keep fighting for my dreams. You've helped me in so many ways, even though you have no idea of who I am. I just want you to know that I'm always gonna be here for you, I'm always gonna support you and I'm always gonna love you.

Yours sincerely,
Luana.