Gransnet forums

Webchats

Jules Hudson webchat 20 March 1:30-2:30pm

(55 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Mar-14 10:11:18

Jules is perhaps best known as the leading face on the BBC’s hit property series, Escape to the Country, as well as the BBC’s flagship rural affairs show Countryfile. Jules’s interest in historic buildings and design underpins the BBC’s renovation series Britain’s Empty Homes, whilst his lifelong passion for military history came to the fore in BBC1's hit Dig 1940.

In addition to presenting and broadcasting, Jules is also an engaging writer, with regular contributions to lifestyle magazines.

Jules began his career as an archeologist and his expertise across history, rural affairs and property, combined with his warm and engaging style have established him as a versatile and popular presenter.

Having spent most of his life in the heart of the Cambrian Mountains in Mid-Wales, renovating his own ‘Escape to the Country’, he now lives in Herefordshire, once again passionately restoring a period gem. He loves to travel, garden and rescue old furniture.

Jules's talk at the Country Living Spring Fair is titled The Accidental Gardner. Find out more here.

Put your questions forward to Jules below. He'll be joining us for a live webchat on 20 March 1:30-2:30pm.

rosesarered Thu 06-Mar-14 11:14:19

We all like watching Escape to The Country, and you in your colourful gilets, so Jules, my questions to you are ; do you choose your clothes yourself or are you 'dressed' by the BBC? This is a bet between my DH and myself, so we need to know [there is £10 riding on it.]Also, originally, the show used to feature about 5 different houses, and now there are only three[other time taken up by showing country pursuits or local history] why is this?Last question,how long does it take in reality to film an entire episode?Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work, we enjoy goggling at houses we could never afford[although it would be nice if now and again there were a few featured that we could afford.]

Gally Thu 06-Mar-14 11:57:58

I was going to ask the same question about how long it takes, and how many houses are actually viewed by participants in Escape to the Country; I always imagine that there are more houses viewed but only the best 'film opportunities' are actually shown? I wonder why there are never follow ups to any of the programmes as in, for instance, Location Location Location? I am very nosy inquisitive by nature and would really like to know the end story. I always enjoy the programmes introduced by you - you are soooo enthusiastic wink
Perhaps you could instigate a new programme on rescuing old furniture - that would be good grin

goldengirl Thu 06-Mar-14 17:36:05

Hallo Jules
I'm particularly interested in World War I and the Australian involvement.
My grandfather was an Australian who fought at the Battle of Fromelles - and in spite of being wounded, he survived and convalesced in Weymouth where he met my grandma.
What aspect of military history do you find most interesting?
Will you be presenting any WWI programmes this year?

Gagagran Mon 10-Mar-14 09:51:16

I'd like to know why the programme insists on showing people properties they have specifically stated that they do not want e.g. thatched or semi-detached when they are obviously not going to go for them. Why not try and fulfil the brief instead of "challenging" them? It must be very irritating for them!

Purpledaffodil Mon 10-Mar-14 22:38:47

Do you sometimes feel that there are people who are not really wanting to move, but simply want to be on TV ? It does seem that way sometimes on my side of the screen.

gardener Sun 16-Mar-14 19:23:28

Do you as a presenter get to choose the properties for the clients ?
Or is it left to the production team ?
When you were house hunting for yourself, how many properties did you view before buying?
P.S Is your house the Mystery House ?

Pamaga Tue 18-Mar-14 16:30:09

Do you own a property abroad? If you were to Escape to (ano)the(r) Country, which would it be and why? :-)

SueD Tue 18-Mar-14 16:59:17

We have a property in Republic of Ireland. Two of our three daughters live there so it made sense to buy somewhere and not have to stay with them. Just back after a month - lots of lovely family lunches and lovely days out at the beach (yes - it was warm enough!) We managed to buy when the Celtic tiger lost his fight so got a bargain. However I am craving a holiday in the sun so will endeavour to get a couple of weeks in Europe in a month or so. Anyone fancy a swap for a week or two?!!

LyndaW Thu 20-Mar-14 05:08:25

Hi jules, which areas would be your 'top tips' for good places to buy in? Particularly from a retirement point of view? Also, do you think that sometimes country life is over romanticised?

mollie65 Thu 20-Mar-14 08:10:59

do you sometimes feel cross that the 'escapees' have no concept of the true nature of country life - they want to keep chickens, alpacas, a few sheep and a 'veggie plot' and expect 'no traffic noise, mud and manure' in their idyll.
glad you are 'restoring a period gem' in Herefordshire -( I live in East Herefordshire ) but don't tell everyone how lovely the border country is - it is fine the way it is.

Spidergran5 Thu 20-Mar-14 09:21:39

What's your favourite National Trust or English Heritage historical building to visit? Which membership has the best properties do you think?

highfive Thu 20-Mar-14 09:38:13

Hi Jules - what do you think about the 'green deal'?

It appears to be a loan you pay back through the 'savings' you make on energy bills, and when you go to sell on your house, you pass on the loan.

Is there a risk that someone won't want to buy your property with a loan? Or do the benefits of having an efficient house outweigh the risk?

merlotgran Thu 20-Mar-14 10:59:12

Hi Jules,

Are applicants selected because their requirements match properties already researched for ETTC (Shropshire and Devon are often featured) or are the houses found after they have been chosen to appear? Do vendors ever pull out of an agreement to have their homes filmed?

I would like to find out more about the background music to ETTC. I have googled it and it appears I'm not the only one who enjoys it. Is it from a BBC library because I've heard it used on other programmes with a rural theme?

copycat Thu 20-Mar-14 12:36:19

Hello Jules. Would you ever live in the city?

threesugars Thu 20-Mar-14 13:05:01

Hello,
If you hadn't gone into presenting, what else would you most like to be doing?

petitpois Thu 20-Mar-14 13:07:30

What would you say is the main difference between city folk and country folk? Good or bad!

SwishySwoshy Thu 20-Mar-14 13:09:44

Hello! I'm intrigued to know what you think about wind turbines - do you think they ruin the countryside?

Twostep Thu 20-Mar-14 13:18:21

Do you ever find the buyers on Escape to the country annoying? I find myself getting so irritated with them while they dither about houses not having absolutely every single thing they initially wanted! Or is that what makes it challenging and interesting...I'm not sure now...

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 20-Mar-14 13:29:43

Jules is here (wearing a trademark gilet!) so we're ready to go!

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 13:32:01

rosesarered

We all like watching Escape to The Country, and you in your colourful gilets, so Jules, my questions to you are ; do you choose your clothes yourself or are you 'dressed' by the BBC? This is a bet between my DH and myself, so we need to know [there is £10 riding on it.]Also, originally, the show used to feature about 5 different houses, and now there are only three[other time taken up by showing country pursuits or local history] why is this?Last question,how long does it take in reality to film an entire episode?Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work, we enjoy goggling at houses we could never afford[although it would be nice if now and again there were a few featured that we could afford.]

Yes, I do choose my own clothes. You're quite right, we used to have 4 houses, but we also made a shortened repeat for the BBC which featured just 3. However, over the years we have found that 3 is the perfect number both for the shooting schedule and for the majority of our buyers. It takes a week to make one show - and we make 75 a year, so during production between March and October we are usually making more than one programme.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 13:33:41

Gally

I was going to ask the same question about how long it takes, and how many houses are actually viewed by participants in Escape to the Country; I always imagine that there are more houses viewed but only the best 'film opportunities' are actually shown? I wonder why there are never follow ups to any of the programmes as in, for instance, Location Location Location? I am very nosy inquisitive by nature and would really like to know the end story. I always enjoy the programmes introduced by you - you are soooo enthusiastic wink
Perhaps you could instigate a new programme on rescuing old furniture - that would be good grin

We are including more revisits in existing shows when it is possible to do them. As for your question on rescuing old furniture, watch this space!

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 13:34:57

goldengirl

Hallo Jules
I'm particularly interested in World War I and the Australian involvement.
My grandfather was an Australian who fought at the Battle of Fromelles - and in spite of being wounded, he survived and convalesced in Weymouth where he met my grandma.
What aspect of military history do you find most interesting?
Will you be presenting any WWI programmes this year?

Hello goldengirl, I love all periods of military history and in particular WWII . I also collect a lot of WWII memorabilia. Sadly I will not be presenting any WWI programmes this year but hopefully I will be returning to some more military history soon.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 13:37:03

Purpledaffodil

Do you sometimes feel that there are people who are not really wanting to move, but simply want to be on TV ? It does seem that way sometimes on my side of the screen.

I'm often asked if people do ETTC just to be on TV. In my experience the answer is most definitely no. For many the experience of filming is, if anything, quite nerve-wracking, but in putting them at ease and trying to fulfil their brief as much as possible we are in many case able to help, which is one of the most rewarding parts of the process.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 13:38:31

gardener

Do you as a presenter get to choose the properties for the clients ?
Or is it left to the production team ?
When you were house hunting for yourself, how many properties did you view before buying?
P.S Is your house the Mystery House ?

I do occasionally have the chance to choose properties but the vast majority of the houses we feature are selected by a very dedicated and experienced production team. When we moved 3 years ago we viewed upwards of 20 properties before we found the right one - it would have made a perfect mystery house!