Gransnet forums

Webchats

Frank Lampard Q&A

(50 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 25-Mar-14 11:21:04

As the record-breaking highest scorer for Chelsea and vice-captain of the England squad, the past 12 months have been a winning year for Frank Lampard in other ways. Since launching his Frankie’s Magic Football series for readers aged 5-8 in June 2013, Frank has been an ambassador for literacy with the Reading Agency; supported World Book Day 2014; and met hundreds of young readers.

April 2014 sees the publication of Frankie vs the Knights Nasties – where the incredible magic football takes Frankie and his friends back to medieval times to play against the nastiest knights in the land!

To celebrate publication of the fifth book in his series, Frank Lampard will be answering 10 questions from Gransnetters – answers to be published on 3rd April 2014, when Frankie vs the Knight’s Nasties hits the shelves.

Add your questions asap - and three gransnetters (drawn at random) who post will each win a copy of the book.

Bram Fri 28-Mar-14 15:46:34

Hi Frank
I've long been a fan - since you were a lad at my club, WHU.

Are you interested in going into management when you finally retire from playing?

I entreat you to come back to West Ham!

EastEndGranny Fri 28-Mar-14 18:59:35

Hi
I am also a West Ham fan but have always followed your career even if it was spent else where!!! Corny I know but you seem like quite a 'nice bloke'. Infact my family are all West Ham fans and my poor Grandson even has the middle name Upton!

As a retired teacher I think it is great that you have become involved in reading as it does help boys who are struggling with reading for someone such as you to be identified with literacy.

Do you ever get a chance to get inside a classroom or are you always dragged onto the playing field when you visit schools?

Did you find it difficult for people to take your writing seriously?

As West Ham are out of the running for the league title I can afford to wish you luck. I would rather see a London club win the title!

East End Granny

olmarshall Fri 28-Mar-14 21:18:55

Hello, Frank!
I have read all the series of Frankie’s Magic Football and I know my granddaughter would love them too. I would love to know how did you manage to find time and inspiration to write the series while playing football professionally? I hope you will answer my question so that I can show my grandchildren that every dream is possible to achieve with a hard work.

Thank you
Oli Marshall

DavidH22 Sat 29-Mar-14 13:03:17

When you look at the pictures of you and John (Terry) holding various European trophies, after you've finished polishing your medals and awards, and when you've looked at the shirts you've swapped with Ronaldo, Messi, Pirlo and Iniesta do you regret never playing for Newcastle United?
Best of luck in Brazil - and with the books.

Hattiehelga Sat 29-Mar-14 13:33:03

As an enforced Aston Villa Fan (husband, son and grandsons !) I look at football slightly differently. My questions are Do you think there are far too many foreign players at our Clubs which could be stifling home-grown talent and account for the mediocre national team? - and do you think that the young players suddenly becoming vastly rich almost overnight need far more guidance on how to handle their fame and fortune and consider how they can become good role models by being much more aware of their behaviour in their private lives ?

busybee6969 Sun 30-Mar-14 18:37:51

you are a popular person footballer, author etc, would you ever go on strickly come dancing type show,or im a celebrity get me out of here

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 31-Mar-14 10:55:45

gillybob

Hi Frank

I wonder do you think football is something that "is in the blood"?

My dad is a football fanatic (Newcastle United) and was probably gutted to have two daughters neither of whom were in the slightest bit interested although I did go to a few matches with him in the 70's and 80's to oggle the sexy bodies just to keep him company.

When my son was born my dad couldn't wait to introduce him to the beautiful game and was gutted extremely disappointed after taking him to his first game. It was an evening kick off and my son apparently spent the whole game analysing the floodlights and working out which light lit up which part of the pitch. At one point after the millionth "grandad..... how many bulbs do you think........?" My dad confessed to saying "will you just bloody well shut up about the lights and watch the bloody game".

My son grew up to be an Electrician !

Now my grandson on the other hand.................what age group would you say your books are aimed at? smile

Gillybob I can answer this one for you in advance! The answer is 5+ and the books are ideal for young readers

laidback Tue 01-Apr-14 01:04:53

hey frank

Do you think you will regret never having played for a non english speaking team, the brilliant experience of immersing yourself in a different culture, language and syle of football?

I've noticed that footballers today although they have strong sexy thighs tend to have very low body fat, as a consequence they are like glass and have tonnes of injuries. You have been very lucky and injury free for many seasons....what is your secret?

Also do you think if better education was available for young footballers when they are apprenticed (or signed) to a club they wouldn't sound soo bloody gormless clueless when interviewed and play a more intelligent game of football?

My 12 and 6 yr old Nieces play and love football, we often go to the Man City matches.... do your daughters have an interest in football? do you think enough is done to promote the womens game?

I will have have a look out for your books for my nieces. Hope you answer at least a question grin

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 11:57:11

millievanillie

Ooh I would love to win one!

I would like to ask Frank what inspired him to start writing books

I was inspired by reading to my daughters and watching their reactions to adventure stories. I felt like a football-based adventure series would be a good idea and really wanted to try something outside of playing football.

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 11:57:45

hatty64

I bought the first 3 for my GS and he loved them. Have you been surprised by how successful the books have been given the huge number of children's books on the market you had to compete with?

I was delighted when one person bought my book, let alone seeing them doing so well over their first year. I think there are lots of great books for children out there, but hope that my series brings something different in its own way that young readers can enjoy.

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 11:58:13

Tegan

I hadn't heard of these books. My grandson is still struggling with having finished the last Harry Potter book [must point out he hasn't read them himself but he's had a great time having his mum read all of them to him at bedtime]. He's just getting interested in football so I'll definately look at these books for him. When you think about it it's obvious to write books that combine football with magic [just wish I'd thought of it first confused]. Not having read the books the answer may be in them but I wonder if/how he includes girl players into the stories and, if he hasn't already is there a plan to do so?

It was very important for me to have a girl (Louise) in Frankie's team. Women's football has become hugely popular in recent years and it was important to have a girl that young girls who read my books can relate to. The books are not just for football-loving boys. I hope they can be enjoyed by boys and girls whether they are football fans or not.

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 11:58:45

penguinpaperback

I shall look out for these books. Grandson loves reading and has read all the younger Dahl, Mr Majeika series. He goes to football practice, loves stories about football and any 'magic' and baddies, these sound perfect.
Were you a young bookworm Frank? Great to hear you are meeting young readers. I'm always telling my grandchildren reading is 'cool' and now I can let them know you're an author this will help me back this up. smile

I did read regularly as a kid, as well as kicking a football around in between! I think it’s very important in the modern day for children to read regularly; that is why I've enjoyed interacting with them and trying to encourage this. I've had great experiences in visiting schools and helping with reading initiatives.

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 11:59:21

Riverwalk

Frank what do your daughters think of the books ... and dare I ask if they like football? smile

My daughters like the books. They are the first children to read them and give me great feedback that can often be a help in the writing process! They are not crazy on football but are beginning to become bigger fans as they grow older.

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 11:59:57

Gally

I am about to confess. I have never attended a football match - ever. It's on my list of things to do before I die - better get a wiggle on then wink.
My eldest gs would love your book - he's a great reader and loves his footie albeit Ozzie Rules.
What gives you more pleasure now, scoring on the field or your work with the Reading Agency and seeing the pleasure being able to read brings to your young fans? Silly question?

Scoring a goal and winning football matches has always been my first love but I am getting another type of pleasure out of writing and being involved with encouraging kids to read. It’s been an amazing experience and as I get towards the latter part of my football career, it’s something I want to do a lot more of in the future.

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 12:00:51

CJ

Hi Frank
Where do you stand on the subject of the teaching of English grammar in schools -or rather the lack of it- these days? It seems to me that young people today do not know what a verb or an adjective is, so how can they write coherently!

I hope you are going to Brasil. The team needs players with experience.

Always been a big fan of yours and loved your autobiography.

CJ

I feel very strongly about children learning a strong base of English grammar at school. I think there is certainly room for improvement on this. The core subjects of English and Maths are of great importance to me and should be strongly focused on. (Thanks for your kind words!)

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 12:01:12

Buckle

Did you start to write for your own children ? Or is it something you always would have dabbled in anyway ?

I enjoyed writing stories in my younger years but had stopped for a large part of my football career. Having taken it up again in recent years for the Frankie books, I have loved it and have got great pleasure from the whole experience.

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 12:01:40

Rosannie

What was your attitude to learning in general and reading in particular when you were a young schoolboy? Has your own learning experience influenced your decision to write fun, relevant books for young readers?

I think I was a very dedicated pupil at school. By no means the most naturally talented but I was very keen to learn and always wanted to impress my teachers! I think I have been fortunate to have a very long and interesting football career. This has given me the opportunity to use my early learning to do something footballers rarely do and give something back to young children now in a different way.

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 12:02:11

Harlequin56

Dear Frank

I'm a huge West Ham fan and your Dad was always my favourite player as a child. How much influence did he have on your writing career? As a child did you get to spend time reading books with him or was it all football?

PS. Please come back to West Ham.

Regards
Glenn Marvell-James

My Dad had a huge influence on my football career, as you would expect, but my Mother in particular was always encouraging me to read and concentrate on all my school subjects. I would usually read with her and I am very thankful for this now, as I would not have been able to go through this experience without that base.

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 12:02:52

mcculloch29

My grandchildren are a bit old for Frankie's stories, which is a shame.

They are Sunderland season ticket holders and despite that, they both love football.

Have you thought about moving along with your own children and writing for older children and young adults? Or moving into adult fiction even?

Thanks for all your efforts to promote literacy, I'm a literacy and numeracy tutor for adults.
It's so sad when someone says 'I've never read books.' They have missed so much in life.
Cheers, Andrea McC.

At the moment I am concentrating on writing for this younger age group. I feel very comfortable doing so and have got a lot of enjoyment from it. I would not rule out trying to write for older children or adults but at this point I am very happy with where I am at!

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 12:03:40

IroningMaiden

Hi Frank as an avid Chelsea fan your my hero blush

What was your favourite book as a child, and did it inspire you to write your own books.

Thanks

I loved all things Roald Dahl as a youngster and my favourite book was The BFG. It certainly inspired me in terms of children's books at the time and I still have great memories of reading all of his books.

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 12:04:06

EastEndGranny

Hi
I am also a West Ham fan but have always followed your career even if it was spent else where!!! Corny I know but you seem like quite a 'nice bloke'. Infact my family are all West Ham fans and my poor Grandson even has the middle name Upton!

As a retired teacher I think it is great that you have become involved in reading as it does help boys who are struggling with reading for someone such as you to be identified with literacy.

Do you ever get a chance to get inside a classroom or are you always dragged onto the playing field when you visit schools?

Did you find it difficult for people to take your writing seriously?

As West Ham are out of the running for the league title I can afford to wish you luck. I would rather see a London club win the title!

East End Granny

I have been able to get inside the classroom and listen to children read extracts of my books and speak to them about the importance of reading. I hope people have taken my writing seriously and I hope they see I genuinely care about the educational side as much as anything else.

FrankLampard Mon 07-Apr-14 12:04:39

olmarshall

Hello, Frank!
I have read all the series of Frankie’s Magic Football and I know my granddaughter would love them too. I would love to know how did you manage to find time and inspiration to write the series while playing football professionally? I hope you will answer my question so that I can show my grandchildren that every dream is possible to achieve with a hard work.

Thank you
Oli Marshall

I realised a few years ago that being a professional footballer I had lots of spare time while travelling and preparing for games that I was wasting! I wanted to do something constructive that I enjoyed in this time and have got much more pleasure from doing so. It started with writing down a few ideas that have now developed into a 5-book series, which has been brilliant!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 14-Apr-14 14:26:52

Quite forgot to say...we put the names of everyone who posted on the thread into a hat and drew 5 winners at random. So the people who will receive a copy of Frank's latest book are...

penguinpaperback
olmarshall
jinglbellsfrocks
CJ
Tegan

Congratulations all - and look out for an email from us coming very shortly

Tegan Mon 14-Apr-14 14:42:17

Thank you so much; my grandson will love it smile,