Gransnet forums

Webchats

Count Arthur Strong Q&A

(58 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 22-Jan-15 15:45:58

We're thrilled to announce a special question and answer session with the legend that is Count Arthur Strong for Gransnet!

The Count, for those of you still unfamiliar with him, is a semi-retired variety star who, unrelated to sharing the same shoe size as Barry Cryer, is now starring in his very own situation comedy on BBC2.

In Count Arthur Strong, the ever optimistic Arthur goes through life ready to try anything to make a few quid - and ready to give a performance whenever he feels he has an audience. Unfortunately he's not very good at either and his efforts usually end in chaos.

Arthur has also written his auto-biography Through It All I've Always Laughed which traces his life from humble beginnings as a newborn baby in Doncaster to playing tiny parts in Juliet Bravo and appearing alongside Alec Guinnesses in Bridge Up The River Kwai, he has always laughed through it all, and these memoirs of his will surely jog the memories of all those who have laughed along with him - including Count Arthur himself. He lives a life based on those minor triumphs, plus some other ones he may or may not have been in.

If you have a question for Arthur - whether it's about the many, many famous actors and entertainers he's worked with over the years, or how he feels about modern Britain today as a 70-something part-time thespian, Arthur would be delighted to respond to you all.

Please add your questions before Thursday 29th January.

Count Arthur Strong is on BBC2 22.45 on Tuesdays. You can find out more about the Count on his website.

Anne58 Mon 26-Jan-15 19:35:25

I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please, to use the old adage, "if you can't say something nice, then say nothing at all"

I think it is quite rude to make negative comments on a thread where a person (whoever they are, either in character or as themselves) is prepared to give up their time to "talk" to us.

Marelli Mon 26-Jan-15 21:34:32

I'm in agreement with you, there, phoenix.

feetlebaum Mon 26-Jan-15 21:45:23

Count Sthur certainly works for me - I love the way he loses the thread of what he's saying - "All the colours of the...raincoat..." "Must just point Percy at the... postman..." Magic!

Marelli Mon 26-Jan-15 21:52:44

grin- and I like the way he walks! A bit like me when I get up off the chair after sitting for far too long!

Tegan Mon 26-Jan-15 22:05:42

I think the problem people have with it is that it seems like very simple slapstick humour, but in fact it isn't.

Marelli Mon 26-Jan-15 22:36:41

That's what I meant when I said that you have to see past the sit-com part of it, Tegan. I'm sitting here chuckling thinking about the 'walk to the plane'......and the questioning way they were looking at each other as they made their way there..... I just think he's great!

Anne58 Mon 26-Jan-15 23:52:24

Thank you Marelli imho it is just basic good manners!

I will now (hopefully) clearly state my case.

I listen to nothing but Radio 4 from 7.30 (ish) to around 19.30 ish. Therefore my first encounter with Count Arthur Strong was on the radio.

BIG CONFESSION HERE!

I have never watched the TV programme (sorry!) because I have this "thing" about not seeing people on TV (or other mediums) because with Radio I have my own vision as to how they look!

My beloved Mr P has been known to go through the Radio Times and stick post it notes over any images of Archer actors blush

Perhaps I'm missing out by not watching the TV series (the comments about "walking to the plane makes me think I might be) but I have loved and enjoyed every episode that I have heard on Radio 4.

Yes, at first I thought "what on earth is this old claptrap about?" but I soon came to appreciate, enjoy and love it!

Eloethan Tue 27-Jan-15 00:47:25

I caught some of Count Arthur Strong on the TV the other night - I'd never seen it before.

I agree with others who said that the walk to the plane was hilarious - and the growing realisation that neither the young man flying the plane nor his passenger was a trained pilot.

elena Tue 27-Jan-15 10:42:58

We LOVE the Count in our house smile

I'd like to ask Arthur if he ever thinks there's another shot at stardom round the corner, or if he's content to be semi-retired now. I also wonder what his friend Michael does for a living....do we know (apart from finding errant apostrophes, and that doesn't pay much)?

Pittcity Tue 27-Jan-15 11:43:46

I notice that tonight's episode is on even later than usual. Well past my bedtime so it'll be tomorrow before I watch it and the clocks don't change for weeks!

Do you think that putting good wholesome family comedy on late is a clever move by the Beeb to get us to use their new fangled iplayer thingy?

feetlebaum Tue 27-Jan-15 12:19:32

iPlayer is not so newfangled - it is very heavily used, and has been for some time.

Pittcity Tue 27-Jan-15 12:33:05

Yes feetlebaum , but I would like to know if Count Arthur is as au fait with technology as we are!

KatyK Wed 28-Jan-15 13:22:03

We watched it for the first time last night, found it hilarious.

petallus Thu 29-Jan-15 08:32:26

Arthur, are you really a member of the nobility or is Count a courtesy title you have bestowed upon yourself? I've always wondered.

Riverwalk Thu 29-Jan-15 08:41:00

Is there a Countess I wonder ..... or a vacancy? hmm

The Count's best line

Fred Astaire and Ginger Baker grin

Falconbird Thu 29-Jan-15 16:53:10

I watched it and liked the fact that Rory Kinnear is in it.

He has the look of his dad Roy and I was a big fan of his. smile

Anne58 Thu 29-Jan-15 18:09:03

Being strictly honest, I have now watched the episode referred to and although I did enjoy the "walk to the plane", I do actually prefer it on Radio, (sorry Arthur!) although I'd be hard pressed to explain why.

I think it may have something to do with the hat.....confused

rosesarered Thu 29-Jan-15 20:47:08

I have always found Arthur to be a joyous creation, but like phoenix prefer to listen to the radio, where the dialogue jumps out at you without the distraction of sight. He is out of step with the world, but to him it's either the other way around, or he ploughs on un-noticing.A mixture of anarchy, selfishness,and a childlike optism.

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 30-Jan-15 15:26:14

Thanks for your contributions everyone. The Q & A is now closed. We're sending Arthur all your brilliant questions now. So...watch this space!

CountArthurStrong Thu 12-Feb-15 14:55:52

Pittcity

GNHQ seem to have demoted you to BBC2, Arthur, when I know that you have reached the dizzy heights of 'BBBC1'!

I was impressed with your doorstep canvassing and wondered if you would be interested in follow the Pub Landlord and standing for parliament at the General 'Erection'?

"I have given running for high office very serious thought and have been courted by all the major political parties at one time or another but in the end decided I couldn't be bothered. I'm an entertainer, not an idiot politician."

CountArthurStrong Thu 12-Feb-15 15:04:23

petallus

Arthur, I was thrilled to discover you have agreed to do a Q and A session on GN.

Your radio show was so good, i wasn't a bit surprises when you landed your own tv prog. I'm pleased to see it hasn't gone to your head.

My question is, from your long career in showbiz, do you have any interesting bits of tittle tattle regarding other celebrities you could share with us?

"Well it's where to start really. Roger Moore's legs are unusually thin. 'Boxers legs' I call them. He only needs them for leverage really."

CountArthurStrong Thu 12-Feb-15 15:06:56

rocketstop

Dear Arthur,
I am so pleased you are back living in the manner to which you are accustomed ie/Entertaining the masses.Fab to see you back on TV,sometimes I miss your one-liners as I'm too busy still laughing at the one you said before. I particularly enjoyed seeing you collect a crack team to break into the agent's house to steal a script back.
You declaring that 'I am a shadow, a rumour' will stay with me for a long time, and I may even borrow it!
My question is..'What did Eggy get you for Christmas ?'

"A propelling pen and pencil set. It's the seventh one he's given me. I only need two more and I can complete a pyramid with them."

CountArthurStrong Thu 12-Feb-15 15:12:37

booboo

Hello Arthur

I love both your radio and your tv shows. I have often wondered if you have ever been married or had someone to love in your life. You do seem to need a woman's touch in your life or are you a confirmed batchelor?

"Well as I said in answer to the previous question, it's all in my wonderful memoir of myself, 'Through It all I've Always Laughed' (Faber and Faber and Faber £7.99 or it might be £10.99). Frankly It's too painful for me to go into here and I'd rather you bought the book and read it in there. Then I'd make some money out of it as well. So everyone wins."

CountArthurStrong Thu 12-Feb-15 15:13:49

Riverwalk

Is there a Countess I wonder ..... or a vacancy? hmm

The Count's best line

Fred Astaire and Ginger Baker grin

"I might have a vacancy for a cleaner? There must be a Countess somewhere? I'm sure I've read about one in a book. Look on a computer! They're wonderful for that sort of thing."

CountArthurStrong Thu 12-Feb-15 15:15:16

Ruby6918

hi cathy here what an interesting man!! and books sounds fab, id like to ask whats ur favourite one liner from some one else? thanks and books sounds brilliant

"What's he got on the end of the stick Vic?"