Gransnet forums

Webchats

Blythe Danner Q&A

(32 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Feb-16 12:12:08

UPDATE: Blythe Danner has answered your questions further down on the thread here.

I'll See You In My Dreams is available on digital download from 22 February and on DVD from 29th February.

Actress, campaigner AND Gwyneth Paltrow's mum, Blythe Danner joins us for a Q&A to talk about her new film, I'll See You In My Dreams and life as an actress, mum and gran.

She's won two Emmy Awards® (and was nominated three further times, twice for her role on “Will & Grace.”) She received a Tony Award® (as well as a number of nominations) and her film roles include Woody Allen’s Alice, The Great Santini, the Meet the Parents trilogy, What’s Your Number?, and Sylvia, in which she appeared with her daughter, actress Gwyneth Paltrow.

Danner takes action to support causes that are important to her and has passionately advocated for environmental concerns for more than 40 years as a member of the Union of Concerned Scientists and other groups and serves on the national board of Planned Parenthood. Since the death of her husband Bruce Paltrow from oral cancer, she has also been helping the Oral Cancer Foundation raise disease awareness.

I'll See You In My Dreams - described as "‘A beautiful and smart coming-of-old-age film" - opens in UK cinemas on 12 February. It's the story of Carol (played by Danner) who, after the death of her beloved dog, starts to find the everyday activities that have given her life structure - her regular bridge game, gardening, a glass of wine or two- have suddenly lost their lustre.

She embarks on a journey to embrace the world again, by re-connecting with her daughter, striking up an unlikely friendship with her pool maintenance man and pursuing a new love interest.

We will be sending the questions over to Blythe next Monday afternoon - 15 Feb - so please add yours before then

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 08-Feb-16 14:18:07

I'm always chatting up my pool maintenance man

Sounds very nice.

exoticmarigold Mon 08-Feb-16 15:09:02

I like the sound of the film. I think as you get older there are points in life that make you reevaluate. I would like to ask Blythe Danner whether any of the things in the film are things she has tried in real life.

lalaine Mon 08-Feb-16 15:11:34

Yes although the film sounds fun and light-hearted I was wondering about changes she must have had to make in real life when she lost her husband which must have been an incredibly difficult time

gran57 Mon 08-Feb-16 15:22:52

Hello Blythe I was interested to hear of the work you are doing to raise awareness of oral cancer because certainly over here it's one that we know very little about. What are the things to be aware of in particular?

nannyphone Tue 09-Feb-16 11:57:52

Hello blythe all the things I have seen you in are comedy type films and programmes. Is this what you enjoy most? The film sounds great by the way - look forward to seeing it.

nannyphone Tue 09-Feb-16 13:59:06

If I am allowed to ask another. I believe the film also centres around female friendship. Is this something that is important to you in real life?

Hildie Wed 10-Feb-16 13:55:19

Hello there, I saw something advertising the film (forgotten where) saying that it shows life can begin afresh at any age. Is this something you agree with? Or do you think it gets harder as you get older?

filmbuff Wed 10-Feb-16 17:23:37

OK I am going to be the one to ask the question everyone is dying to know! What's it like being Gwyneth's mother?! (Very nice I imagine but are you close?)

damson Wed 10-Feb-16 17:43:09

Hi Blythe have you and Gwyneth ever acted in something together and if you haven't would you like to (I thought she was fabulous in Country Strong)? Or do you prefer to keep work and family separate? Also the kinds of films you do are quite different so if you did do something together what would you like it to be?

twoforjoy Thu 11-Feb-16 15:38:01

Do you eat microbiotic food like Gwyneth? Or (like me) do you like things like toast and chips (I think in america they are called fries?) too much to give up. Maybe that is just me grin

twoforjoy Thu 11-Feb-16 15:38:53

Can I also ask what it was like to work with woody allen? I'm dying to know...

KChristy Thu 11-Feb-16 16:50:28

id just like to say thank you for your work with planned parenthood - i am continually amazed by the lack of sexual health services and support for women and am glad that tgere are people like you to help raise awareness and keep places like this - which offer services a woman should have the right to have access to - going. when and what made you get involved?

hatparade Thu 11-Feb-16 17:07:51

Do you buy chocolate for your grandchildren and if you do does Gwyneth get cross? (sorry - cheeky!)

Spidergran5 Fri 12-Feb-16 09:11:37

Do you think it's harder for women in film to stay in the business? Is ageism getting better or worse, in your opinion?

emerald123 Fri 12-Feb-16 10:21:43

it looks a lovely film despite the fact that it reminds me of how cast adrift i felt ater my husband died. Wouldn't it be lovelt if there was a Bill around the corner for all of us??

tramtram Mon 15-Feb-16 11:36:43

No questions but I would like to say to Blythe that I think she is a wonderful actress and thank you for all the enjoyment you have given us over the years

CaptainObvious Mon 15-Feb-16 12:33:36

Hi Blythe - you've worked with so many amazing directors and actors/actresses. Whose been your favourite so far? Who would you like to work with in future?

brightonrock Mon 15-Feb-16 15:02:55

lovely, will be going to see this when it comes ouyt

BlytheDanner Fri 19-Feb-16 10:50:53

exoticmarigold

I like the sound of the film. I think as you get older there are points in life that make you reevaluate. I would like to ask Blythe Danner whether any of the things in the film are things she has tried in real life.

Everything!

BlytheDanner Fri 19-Feb-16 10:51:32

lalaine

Yes although the film sounds fun and light-hearted I was wondering about changes she must have had to make in real life when she lost her husband which must have been an incredibly difficult time

When you get to my age, you have a lot of experiences to call on. Luckily, I like my own company and I have my wonderful children and grandchildren around me.

BlytheDanner Fri 19-Feb-16 10:52:13

gran57

Hello Blythe I was interested to hear of the work you are doing to raise awareness of oral cancer because certainly over here it's one that we know very little about. What are the things to be aware of in particular?

Sadly, it is a disease that not many people about and yet one person dies every hour of every day, 365 days a year of oral cancer. It used to be thought of as an ‘old man’s’ disease – drinkers and smokers – but more recently, it has become a young person’s disease. We are trying to promote the inoculation against the HPV virus and people really should go to the website oralcancerfoundation.org to find out about it. My husband’s fund is The Bruce Paltrow Fund and they provide free screenings to disenfranchised communities.

BlytheDanner Fri 19-Feb-16 10:52:50

nannyphone

Hello blythe all the things I have seen you in are comedy type films and programmes. Is this what you enjoy most? The film sounds great by the way - look forward to seeing it.

Not really. You haven’t seen me banging my chest on stage! I love the challenge of the whole spectrum, I’ve just done more comedy on television and film.

BlytheDanner Fri 19-Feb-16 10:53:09

nannyphone

If I am allowed to ask another. I believe the film also centres around female friendship. Is this something that is important to you in real life?

Yes I have a small number of close girlfriends but I’m a loner too. I’m blessed that I like my own company.

BlytheDanner Fri 19-Feb-16 10:53:43

Hildie

Hello there, I saw something advertising the film (forgotten where) saying that it shows life can begin afresh at any age. Is this something you agree with? Or do you think it gets harder as you get older?

Well, it’s both but yes – you can certainly begin life anew at any age and that is something that the film does say. But you have to be open and you have to be willing to face the unknown. Work through the fear and get out there!