Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Anyone live in Melton Mowbray?

(27 Posts)
Mads Tue 28-Oct-14 18:54:18

May move there, would love to get some opinions on it. Looks a great Market town.

pompa Tue 28-Oct-14 19:29:01

Our Daughter used to live there, we loved it, small town with all the amenities but still a market town feel. AND there is always the pies. Bit too far from the coast for us, but some nice countryside around.

granjura Tue 28-Oct-14 19:35:01

One member at least if from there- hopefully she will be around soon.

Great little town, and so central, and with great countryside. Leicester and Nottingham for shopping.

Personally I actually prefer Market Harborough though, due to fast connections to London.

Teetime Tue 28-Oct-14 19:40:23

Its me - how can I help we love it here- great town lots to do but also peaceful and great house prices - love to show you around if you want to visit.

Teetime Wed 29-Oct-14 16:00:04

I have concerns about this message so have asked Gransnet to look into it.

granjura Wed 29-Oct-14 20:27:33

??? sorry, what is going on???

Teetime Thu 30-Oct-14 08:38:49

Will send you a pmgranjura

granjura Thu 30-Oct-14 11:56:14

Thanks- and you are right- GN is such a comfortable place, that it is easy to realise everything safe here is actually out there on the net for all to access and see. i was very badly stung once- and bullied by mods, especially one who followed my trace right back to my family. So due care is always 'de rigueur'. Stay safe.

granjura Thu 30-Oct-14 12:27:20

Easy to forget, I meant...

Another time, a friend mentioned visiting us here on another foreign Forum- totally inocently and for all the good reasons- but giving some detail about us which were recognised by others- and I got e-mails from them to say someone had been writing about us on their Forum- a bit of a shock, but no harm done in this case. But is is amazing how easily one can be recognised on a Forum- which is why I would always be so careful not to write about family disagreement, rows, or complain about the behaviour of family members.

Mads Fri 31-Oct-14 22:47:17

Thank you for the positive answers. My question was just to get some advice about an area that we are seriously thinking of moving to.

papaoscar Sat 01-Nov-14 06:02:51

Yes, loads of glorious pork-pies. Wish I had one now!

granjura Sat 01-Nov-14 10:10:56

It's a lovely area Mads- just wondering, where are you living now? And why Melton Mowbray? (if you don't mind me asking)- certainly, towns like Market Harborough and Melton Mowbray are great for anyone who lives darn sarf and want to release some cash, or anyone returning from France or Spain and find UK prices high.

Teetime Sat 01-Nov-14 12:07:55

Sorry Mads I was concerned when we didn't hear from you again. You have to be so careful on the internet. Very happy to provide as much info about he area as I can - what would you like to know?

Teetime Sun 02-Nov-14 14:05:24

mmm gone quiet again.

ChrisCal Thu 28-May-15 10:30:04

Hello Teetime,

My hubby and I are in France and are looking to return to England soon. Melton would be the place we choose, or somewhere else in the Rutland area.

I'm new to GN so trawling through the amazing reserve of information. Sorry to trouble you, but can I ask if you are now in Melton? Ans if so, are you happy there?

Chris

Teetime Thu 28-May-15 14:39:26

MM is a very nice market town with good amenities a. road and rail links. House prices are better than most. Yes we are happy here we have been able to join several community activities. MM doesn't have a night life as such but some good pubs in local villages and you can quickly be in one of the 3 nearby cities if you want to large shops and theatres etc. There is low unemployment and crime. Our major problem is a growing issue with traffic as there is no bypass. there is a new Premier Inn which is a very reasonable place to stay for a reccie.

Teetime Thu 28-May-15 14:40:19

I should say house prices here are quite a bit cheaper than Oakham and Stamford.

ChrisCal Thu 28-May-15 15:12:12

Thank you, Teetime. Just what we hoped!

rosesarered Thu 28-May-15 19:49:06

I wouldn't mind living in Stamford.

Teetime Fri 29-May-15 09:39:19

Stamford is lovely and I fancy it as the shops and restaurants are good, the golf course is good and there are theatres and cultural events However the traffic is appalling with very little parking. Also if you look on Right Move houses are snapped up as soon as they are advertised- its a fast growing town so it might lose its appeal and house prices will certainly shoot up

granjura Fri 29-May-15 18:26:46

ChrisCal- just wondering-what made you choose Melton Mowbray if you do not know the area? We chose Market Harborough as it has quicker and more direct rail and road to Luton and Stansted + London. But both are very nice which very reasonable prices compared to further South. Stamford is indeed lovely, a beautiful old town made of limestone, with wonderful Burleigh House and the George Inn- but prices are much higher.

MaddieBlu Tue 30-Jun-15 09:59:59

Im considering moving to Melton Mowbray as well, what are the schools like. I have both secondary and primary school-aged chn.
Any particular areas to avoid?

Teetime Tue 30-Jun-15 15:27:38

2 good academies and several very good primary schools which are part of an academy. Swallowdale is particularly good.

MaddieBlu Tue 30-Jun-15 22:44:35

Thank you Teetime.
I read an article about problems with teenagers in the town centre, would that be a true reflection of the area.

Teetime Wed 01-Jul-15 09:11:17

I think someone kicked a bin over once