Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Starting your own business - live webchat with Robert Ashton Weds 20 June 1-2pm

(58 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 07-Jun-12 16:55:50

You may have seen our taster course on setting up your own enterprise - and we are delighted that expert Robert Ashton will be coming along to GNHQ so you can find out more about this and ask any other questions you may have about starting and running a business.

Robert, best known as "the barefoot entrepreneur" has set up and sold many businesses, written 12 books and started a successful charity.

So whether you'd like to know how to set up an empire - or run a cottage industry from your front room, he'll be able to tell you how to get going.

RobertAshton Wed 20-Jun-12 13:58:06

tidymind

I am addicted to Dragons' Den. I love watching people pitching their business ideas and seeing the responses. But it's so scary it's put me off actually trying to do anything myself. Have you got any reassurance - or is it really as tough as that?

I too enjoy watching Dragons Den. Not because it is about typical business starters, but because it is great, entertaining "reality" television. I am convinced that the people selected for the programme are those most likely to boost the viewer figures and not because they are representative of people seeking investment.

Look around your local business community and you'll find there are business angels around who invest in good ideas. I know quite a few of them and they are almost always really nice people and not at all like those fire-breathing dragons.

The fact is that nice people do better in business than aggressive people and that's why most investors are nice people!

RobertAshton Wed 20-Jun-12 13:59:57

scribblegranny

Can you give any tips on establishing and building a brand? What are the key things to bear in mind in terms of creating a positive impression?

To start with, your brand is you. People will buy what you do because of you. So building a brand can mean nothing more than being out and about and consistent in how you describe your business.

The other key point about brand is to give your business and its products names and identities that clearly project what you do and what benefits you bring to your customers.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 20-Jun-12 14:00:37

A huge thank you to Robert for all his advice - certainly a great deal of food for thought.

RobertAshton Wed 20-Jun-12 14:04:13

Well folks, I've really enjoyed 'meeting' you here on gransnet. Brilliant questions and clear evidence that maturity can be a real boost to entrepreneurial ambition!

I'm off now o meet some more interesting people this afternoon,but do follow the link to my website and sign up to my monthly newsletter if you'd like to keep in touch. I'll also keep an eye on this forum and try to answer any questions that leap out and grab my attention.

Good luck!

RobertAshton Thu 21-Jun-12 08:41:32

Hi, sorry I miised you yesterday.

You don;t need to do any legal/compliance stuff before you start selling. Just keep records of income and costs and if things start to grow, do the basics like open a second bank account to keep biz dealings seperate from your own.

RobertAshton Thu 21-Jun-12 08:44:34

I hated Twitter until last Jan - then I made time to explore, understand and become confident.

You can run a biz without using social media- but it's there and it works so why wouldn't you?

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 27-Jul-12 12:01:14

Sorry it's taken us so long to announce this - the winners of the free Starting Your Own Business Pearson courses are whenim64, ChrisMW and bikergran. Congrats!

I've sent you all an email to confirm.