Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Universal Credit..anyone? know anything about it? seems that is what I have to go on.

(95 Posts)
bikergran Mon 22-Jun-15 17:51:28

As some of you know I am coming near the end of my Bereavement Allowance time (12 months) I rang the Dover centre up about 3 weeks ago...asking what's my next step when this ends.?

I was told /advised to go and speak to someone at my Local Jobcentre.

Trotted down to Local Jobcentre this afternoon , 30 min walk but good exercise! smile

Man said "can I help you"? I explained the situation. He went off some where to ask! came back and said

" Do you own your own home" "yes"

"have you got a mortgage on it" "no"

"right well you have to apply for Universal Credit. "ok"

"But you can't do that until you have ended your claim for your Bereavement allowance" (1st July) "Ok right"

"you have to apply on line" "yes ok"

"But when it come to the part where it says "do you own your home" put "no"!

I said well I would be telling lies them on my claim, he says well if you put "yes" it will just take you back to the Jobseekers page!!

I said but I do! own my home....! I said never mind I will come back another day (hopefully when there is some one compos mentis there)!
Mind you it was 3-30 and he had prob had a very long dealing with the general public hmm

If anyone has a book on "Jobcentre Lingo" could I borrow it please, I have a feeling I'm going to need it grin

grannyactivist Mon 22-Jun-15 17:57:09

I wouldn't listen to anyone who tells you to lie on a government form biker - they're not the ones who'll get the book thrown at them when it comes to light.
I wish you all the best, but I don't envy all the form filling and box-ticking you'll have to go through.

bikergran Mon 22-Jun-15 18:05:18

Well just for curiosity ..I did a test and started filling the form in...got as far as the first page and come to "do you own your own home" I ticked "yes" as I do..and yes the man was right...it took me back and said I cannot claim...it..hmm I shall ring tomorrow see If I can speak to a human...smile

durhamjen Mon 22-Jun-15 18:08:24

Link to the Citizens Advice page, biker.

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/what-is-universal-credit/

Good luck.

Stansgran Mon 22-Jun-15 18:10:23

Biker I've just read about all your skills on another thread. Can you not set yourself up in business as an odd job person? I'm always in need of a pair of capable hands(frozen shoulder and bad knee) as I can't hang curtains or climb stepladders . I'm sure there is a market. The only one round here is run off his feet. ( don't mean to derail your thread)

bikergran Mon 22-Jun-15 18:16:31

thanks Stansgran yes many people have said the same to me...thing is these days..I think there is so much red tape....CBR checks certificates for this that n the other..but eys it is some thing I amy have to think about although transport is a problems as I don't have a car anymore....I will take a look at the link now thanks, I'v had a look at the Gov website as well...smile

Ana Mon 22-Jun-15 18:17:15

biker, this page gives information about who can claim, and it does say you aren't eligible if you own your own home, or have more than £6,000 in savings.

about.universalcredit.service.gov.uk/kms/Pages/Eligibility_for_Universal_Credit.htm

Ana Mon 22-Jun-15 18:19:07

(not that I know anything about your savings, of course! grin)

durhamjen Mon 22-Jun-15 18:32:19

www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/benefits-calculator/

Ageuk is also very helpful on benefits. If you cannot find out what you want to know on here you can always ring them up and have someone come round to see you. They'll help you go through the forms and get you any that you are entitled to.
Apparently £5.5 billion is unclaimed. Cameron, Osborne and IDS never mention that when they are cutting benefits.

downtoearth Mon 22-Jun-15 20:28:41

Durhamjen
you have take the words out of my mouth,I volunteer for age uk,and just 2 weeks ago went on an update for universal credits..I am in information and advice outreach drop in*Biker*...your local office will support and advise you..xx

bikergran Mon 22-Jun-15 23:17:57

Hi all....thanks for the info..I am going to ring ageuk tomorrow as I think they will be of more help than the JC .

Ana yes I have just read that it says I am not eligible, yet that's what the "man" said I had to claim! but then told me to tell lies and answer no to that question! hmm no doubt all will be revealed.

FarNorth Mon 22-Jun-15 23:29:48

The link which Ana helpfully provided, gives suggestions for other benefits you may be able to claim if you are not eligible for Universal Credit, Jobseekers Allowance being one of them.
Hope you get some useful advice from ageuk.

bikergran Mon 22-Jun-15 23:32:47

smile thanks all.

posie Tue 23-Jun-15 10:42:04

Hope you manage to get something sorted out bikergran

Gracesgran Tue 23-Jun-15 12:46:42

I agree with those who have suggested Age UK; they can be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Just to clarify, if you go to Ana's link bikergran you will see it says that You won't be able to make a claim yet if either you or your partner own or partly own the home in which you live This implies that owning your own home does not exclude you from claiming just that the system doesn't work for that yet.

If you go here there are lots of queries re Universal Credit and you may be able to do a bit of research by reading them. You can also ask your own questions and they will be answered by members, some of whom work in these areas.

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 00:10:54

Biker, I'm not sure if this is good or bad for you.

www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/25/labour-says-universal-credit-will-take-495-years-to-roll-out-as-costs-rise-3bn

It could explain why you are given misinformation.

bikergran Sun 28-Jun-15 22:30:28

Hi Gracesgran Yes I saw that too, couldn't make head nor tale of it, I tried doing the claim but because I put "yes" it threw me off the page said I couldn't claim UCredit...........so I made few phone calls, a lady from Welfare Rights rang me, I explained the situation and she too was baffled a she has not come across a case like mine as yet hmm she said it may be a glitch in the system that although I should put "yes" I may need to put "no" to get through the claim..but she wasn't sure, she also said she is not sure what I should claim (that's providing I don't get a job beforehand) hmm she mentioned Employment support, in the end she said leave it with her and she will try and find out more, she is meant to be ringing me back tomorrow (Monday) she also suggested I go to the docs for a 13 week sickness note to give me a little more breathing space, but to be honest I would just rather get it over with and know what I am meant to be doing,. I cant see what prolonging it another 13 weeks will achieve.

Durhamjen I am now even more confused lol,, well if its gona take so long , then what am I worrying about lol maybe they will use me as a test case!! I may be on the Telly, I could become famous as the first woman to get through the claim form..smile we shall see.

bikergran Wed 01-Jul-15 16:53:55

update who knows it may be of help to others at sometime.!

I have been sent round the circuit via phone numbers/phone call etc you know "well I sorry I can't help you but I will give you his number to ring etc etc "

Well eventualy I did get to someone who could tell me what I should
Jobseekers, Universal Credit or Employment support(sickness)

Gracesgran you were right in saying because I own my own home I cannot claim Universal Credit (Even though the man at the Jobcentre told me to say "no" I don't won my own home, therefore lying on the form)
First lesson learned "Do not trust anything that the jobcentre staff tell you"

So it has been deemed that at he age of nearly 60 and after caring for dh for many years, I am to start claiming jobseekers and trying to find work for the next 7 years.

The chap on the other end of the phone (who was very pleasant and just doing his job reading off the hymns sheet etc) wanted to know every personal and private detail of my life! other than my bust measurement and shoe size (maybe that has to come at the interview)! grin

next week Tues at 10-20 hmm

If I am missing from GN for some time it may be they have found me a job delivering leaflets through letter boxes grin roll on Tuesday confused not!

Ana Wed 01-Jul-15 16:58:52

But biker how will you be able to afford to live on JSA alone? Aren't there any other benefits you can claim...? sad

durhamjen Wed 01-Jul-15 17:08:02

Biker, when you do not get a job, you'll be able to go on lots of courses to try and update your computer skills. Take the longest course possible.
Try not to let them fob you off with the idea of self employment.
Make sure you do all they ask you to, and do not miss an appointment or you will be sanctioned.

Look on it as a game, as my sister did. Be positive.

bikergran Wed 01-Jul-15 17:23:40

thanks durhamjen yes I have learned via a friend certain things I must NOT! say and certain things I MUST! say...trouble is unless you know all the questions up frontt hen your not sure what to say....

Yes I will eagerly go on any courses and may I will enjoy them smile depending on what they are..!

a game hmm yes I shall do that, but do they provide a hand book..maybe someone should, I have a had a google and trying o get my wits about me before Tuesday.

Ana whilst on JSA you are entitled to free prescriptions/possibly help with glasses etc.you do get help with C tax.

I am unfortunately now looking at selling my Motorcycle (maybe I will have to change my GN name) smile

Onwards and upwards, lets see what I can learn, apparently I have read if 6ft burly out of work builder goes in the JC they won't challenge him, but get a weaker more vunerable person going in and they will make them a target, one who asks no questions and accepts their decisions with out question. We shall see. "here starteth the game" confused

Gracesgran Wed 01-Jul-15 17:28:10

I think Jen is right Bikergran you have to feel that you are playing them at their own game. There are lots of good people who work in Job Centres but the system must feel as if it is against them as well as feeling it is against you. Systems don't have feelings, sadly.

I am really sorry for everyone who is having to work so many years longer than they expected. My anger is against all the governments that did not do anything earlier. They knew we would need to extend the working life and could have done it over a much longer period with much more notice for everyone. Many of us slotted into caring roles because we were given to understand that was the best thing to do.

Do keep coming back Biker, with your thoughts so far. We may not be able to advise (although we can research for you) but I am sure you will always find support.

bikergran Wed 01-Jul-15 17:50:17

oh I will be around Grace I have no intention of giving in before I have started smile I think like you say there are some understanding people at the JC and we must not tar the all with the same brush (apart from the one that gave me wrong information)! I am just one of many.
thanks for any info all smile

posie Wed 01-Jul-15 18:48:34

Just like me then bikergran.

I must admit I had a bit of a panic attack in Job Centre when they were blithely going through the hours on the computer that they expected me to be available for & casually dropped in the fact that I would be expected to apply for jobs up to 90mins away! shock

I got upset & they were more sympathetic then & amended it to show shorter hours. Trouble is shorter hours means less money.

They've really got no idea how it feels to suddenly find yourself in these circumstances have they?

All the best for next Tues.

FarNorth Wed 01-Jul-15 19:38:12

Jobcentre staff are not always very bright, even if well-meaning, so you need to keep your wits about you and read any info, leaflets etc that look relevant.