Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Are grans in the workplace discriminating against other grans?

(5 Posts)
Nuttynanna Mon 30-May-16 11:32:47

I'm over 50 with a masters degree and a wealth of experience. I was made redundant last year. I've had interviews - the interviewers are my age and women and I seem to get on well with them but I'm never offered the job. They always go with younger, less qualified applicants.
Do they see me as a threat? I'm not especially pushy, but I'm quietly confident in my skills. My son has also been job hunting in the same sector. He's in his thirties. He says he benefits from being interviewed by middle aged women because they 'love him'. He's just been offered a new job.
Are woman my age perpetuating the ageism?

Teetime Mon 30-May-16 11:43:48

I hope not - they should be assessing your suitability for the role. I hope something turns up for you soon. flowers

gettingonabit Mon 30-May-16 12:07:31

Interesting! I'm experiencing the same. Welll, not quite as I've yet to reach an interview yet, but....I kind of feel your pain.

I think it's naïve to assume that people are appointed on their ability to do the job, tbh. I'm of the opinion that people are appointed in the basis of whether their face fits. So I think you may be right in assuming that you could be perceived as a threat, OP. Especially to a woman interviewer whose experience, skills and knowledge may superior to hers.

gettingonabit Mon 30-May-16 12:25:12

Sorry that last sentence didn't come out rightgrin. I meant to say, yes, she probably feels threatened by you!

Marmark1 Mon 30-May-16 22:23:19

I agree with gettingonabit, My worst experiences at work were caused by a woman.