Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Update on starting my own Cleaning Business (not)

(33 Posts)
bikergran Sun 24-Jul-16 16:49:45

Hi all...will try and make it brief, thought it is time I updated everyone who advised/helped and supported me when I was about to embark on starting my own Cleaning Business with the Enterprise Allowance Scheme via the Jobcenter.

Went official on 25th April 2016 began receiving £65-00 per week from the E.A.S

Bought cloths, paid for postcard business cards,paid for Add in local mag for May & June.(used the little amount I had saved from my 60th birthday money)

2 weeks later managed to secure my first customer (3 hour clean at £28-50 a week)

Weeks were ticking by, no more customers, put cards in shop windows, facebook, etc etc(even the lovely funeral director put one smack bang in middle of his main window for me )

Had one person ring up wanting 1 hour clean 2 miles away(pointless as would have been 2 hours round trip on bus if couldn't go on scooter)

Another person asking "was I taking staff on" and another trying to sell me products. smile

As it was getting nearer to the end of my 13 weeks at £65 (before it dropped to £33) I decided I was going to have to call it a do, as no way could I manage on £33 from the E.A.S and the £28-50 I was earning form my one and only customer.

End result is..........I am now back on JOBSEEKERS and back searching for jobs. I tried but unfortunately I didn't conquer, no idea why or that I could have done anything more to attract customers, I had professional glossy postcards done, I paid for a D.B.S (formal C.R.B) I took my Levels 1 & 2 Advanced cleaning facilities certificate. Thankfully I didn't pay out the £60 for insurance too soon)!

So back to the Jobcenter last week and again on Friday to sign on.

I don't want anyone fleeing sorry for me I just wanted to update and thanks everyone for their support at the time.

I am now wishing my birthdays away..although 6 yrs seems so very far away!along with 1000,s of other people in the same boat.

But! I am sure there will be something (not sure what )! round the corner. smile ta ra all. keep going...thumbs up! smile

Jane10 Sun 24-Jul-16 16:55:43

What a shame. I'm so sorry to hear it didn't work out for you despite your best efforts. I suppose it takes time to build up this business and word of mouth is what people rely on I reckon. Don't give it all up though. Could you still be available if people asked? Even a little job would contribute something and could snowball slowly? I do hope so.

bikergran Sun 24-Jul-16 17:00:42

Hi Jane...yes I can continue to be self employed cleaning and realise it takes time to build up a business..the trouble is I just didn't have that time available. I could possibly still take on new customers but it would have to be word of mouth, then the jobseekers allowance would be reduced accordingly. smile

glammanana Sun 24-Jul-16 17:02:05

I'm also sure there is something around the corner for you biker just keep at it I think of you often and wondered how you where doing,not to worry something will crop up when you are least expecting it we all have loads to offer to the workforce its just getting tapped into it isn't it,are you getting any help from the jobcentre at all,some of my job placement people say they are just forgotten about when they are placed with our Charity for 6mths a case of out of sight out of mind comes into play I think.xxx glamma xx

grannylyn65 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:04:57

So sorry your endeavours failed but you gave it your best shot. ??

bikergran Sun 24-Jul-16 17:04:57

Hi *glamm) smile I have only just gone back on the JS so no doubt I will be given my orders on Friday.. I still work one day a week at the R.S.P.C.A charity shop which I really enjoy (just a shame they don't pay volunteers as it would be perfect little job) smile

bikergran Sun 24-Jul-16 17:09:36

smile ty grannylyn yes onwards and upwards.

Ana Sun 24-Jul-16 17:13:35

Well done for giving it your best shot, biker - sorry it didn't work out. Something will turn up! smile

Liz46 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:14:18

Bikergran, I volunteer in a charity shop and one of the volunteers got a paid job as a shop manager. It may be worth asking.

Riverwalk Sun 24-Jul-16 17:36:15

Forgive me Biker but I can't remember where you live. If it's a particularly poor area then you're going to have to cast your net further afield.

I personally know of someone who lives on a council estate in the north of England which is not too far from a very exclusive 'enclave' .... there are numerous such areas in the UK. She put an advert in the local paper and has been inundated with work ever since; not just cleaning but house clearing, spring cleaning and catering, and now has a team working for her.

You've put a lot of effort in so far, don't give up!

Luckygirl Sun 24-Jul-16 17:51:27

I am sorry that it has not worked out.....so far.

I agree that it is about finding your target market and advertising in shops and mags that relate to people who can afford a cleaner. And once you have a few, then word of mouth begets more work. It really does take time to build these things up and the EAS does not seem to take that into account. How very frustrating for you after all your efforts.

MiniMouse Sun 24-Jul-16 18:03:19

How disappointing biker sad As others have said, perhaps you need to target the 'posh' end of town!

downtoearth Sun 24-Jul-16 18:19:14

Feel for you Biker my OH tried the SE route to work and what he was offering was fine when free...different story for paid work,he is now working for an employer ,doing what he was trying to set up himself

Cherrytree59 Sun 24-Jul-16 18:42:18

Bikergran I was only thinking of you yesterday as your name makes me smile (we have a motor bike).
I'm sorry that this venture didn't get off the ground. (I know where your coming from re pension I have 9 yrs to wait)
Would it be possible as you love animals so much to look after some small pets (at yours or at owners home).
Cats and dogs can be sorted with kennels and cattery, other small pets are more difficult to find temporary accommodation for.
It could be for holidays or if owner in hospital.

Good luck for the future.

jevive73 Sun 24-Jul-16 18:55:46

Where are you based??

Cherrytree59 Sun 24-Jul-16 18:59:28

Just a thought as you have been checked and have your certificates also experience (no need to say how much)
Ask for a reference from 'your one and only customer'.
Then see if you can join an 'up and running' cleaning business in your area.
If that not possible try your local council, as they have offices, nursing homes etc.

Fingers crossed for you

bikergran Sun 24-Jul-16 19:19:22

Hi again all smile

Liz46 yes it has crossed my mind that a vacancy may come up in the charity shop, but at the mo they already have a manager and assistant manager, plus I don't have the knowledge as the training seem to be nil! Iv'e just about learned the till since being there since September..the manageress doesn't seem very forthcoming in training up volunteers..more like making use of them! but I still enjoy it.

Riverwalk I live not far from the affluent Ribble Valley area (around 5 miles away) but with not having my own transport other than my scooter it proves difficult to expand.I only choose Cleaning as it required minimal qualifications and low costs to start up. I do prefer retail since working in the charity shop.

I did target "certain areas" with my postcard drop, but not one response.

jeevive73 I am in the Oswaldtwistle area (Oswaldtwistle shopping village as it is known) Lancashire.

cherrytree yes my one and only customer would be happy to provide me with a reference (I don't work for her any longer as I had to decide if to keep going or give up the E.A.S I decided I couldn't take the risk of hanging on any longer for any new customers as I would be left with only £61-50 per wk instead of the Jobseekers at £73 per week).

Although I work for the R.S.P.C.A I don't have any animals any more, I had to have my 2 cats p2s last year and don't really want to look after others at the mo.But thanks for the idea.

As others have said I remain positive and I'm sure something will pop out the woodwork smile I have great faith as in one door closes another one opens....smile

annsixty Sun 24-Jul-16 19:31:27

I have thought about you a lot while you haven't been posting and am so sorry that things didn't work out. Just keep the faith and keep trying. Will be willing you on sunshine

bikergran Sun 24-Jul-16 19:46:06

smile x

GillT57 Sun 24-Jul-16 20:09:54

I was just wondering how you were getting on Biker. Sorry it hasnt worked out, it sounds as if you did everything you could. If only you lived near me, I would give you a job!

cornergran Sun 24-Jul-16 20:55:04

What a shame biker, life just isn't fair sometimes. You did all that was possible, no one could do more. Something will come. Keep positive and believe. smile sunshine.

phoenix Sun 24-Jul-16 21:38:41

Sorry it hasn't worked out, but all praise to you, you deserve something to come right for you.

As you may know, I spent a fair bit of time in and out of various jobs after redundancy, fingers crossed that things will come good for you.

Christinefrance Mon 25-Jul-16 08:48:36

Hi bikergran sorry things are difficult at present, I have one idea which may help.
My daughter has a cleaning business and among her customers is a an elderly couple and the lady has Alzheimer's. Though my daughter's main role is cleaning she also provides support for them and helps by just being another person to keep an eye on things. There is no actual caring involved. My daughter also helps a family who have a son with learning disabilities and other people do not accept his odd behaviour. This is maybe an avenue to explore with your local authority or Age UK.
Good luck

Stansgran Mon 25-Jul-16 09:25:28

What about house sitting for people with pets?

Charleygirl Mon 25-Jul-16 09:35:45

Sorry it did not work out. Would it be possible to do the odd cleaning job "on the side"?

I have a cleaner and I supply everything so I do not understand why you are having problems taking items on your bike. I know that some people do not supply sufficient cleaning cloths but that would be easy to pop in a carrier bag and on your bike. I do hope that something works out, you have worked hard enough for it.