Mincemeat recipe from Witchjessica
Ingredients225g (8oz) currants
225g (8oz) raisins
225g (8oz) sultanas
225g (8oz) candied peel (chopped)
4 tbsp brandy
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
225g (8oz) dark brown sugar
115g (4oz) chopped almonds
1 lemon (zest and juice)
1 orange (zest and juice)
115g (4oz) shredded suet (or vegetarian suet)
225g (8oz) apples (peeled and grated)
Handy HintChanging the type of suet ensures it is vegetarian and makes no difference to the taste. You can change the brandy for another spirit or a good fruit syrup for non-alchoholic version.
Method1. Keeping the brandy to one side, mix all the ingredients together.
2. Place in a large bowl and cover with cling film.
3. Stir occasionaly over the next two days.
4. Stir again and drain off excess fluid.
5. Stir in the brandy (taste - it may need a tad more.)
6. Fill prepared jars and store in a cool dry place until required.