Rhubarb pavlova pie recipe from yogagran
IngredientsFor the pastry:
175g (6oz) plain flour
85g (1oz) caster sugar
2-3 tbsp cold water
For the filling and topping:
700g (1lb 9oz) rhubarb (chopped)
140g (5oz) caster sugar
Grated rind and juice of 1 orange
3 tbsp cornflour
3 egg yolks
4 tbsp creme fraiche or double cream
3 egg whites
175g (6oz) caster sugar
1 tsp each vinegar, vanilla essence & cornflour (blended together)
Method1. Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6 and make pastry in the usual way. Use it to line a deep 20-23cm (8-9in) or shallow 25cm (10in) flan tin.
2. Bake blind for 15 minutes, remove paper and beans and cook for a further 5-8 mins. Reduce temperature to 190C/170C fan/Gas 5.
3. Put the rhubarb, sugar and rind into pan & gently heat till the juices run. Cover and stew for 7-10 mins, until soft. Remove the lid, turn up the heat and cook for 20-30 mins, stirring occasionally, until a pulp forms.
4. Blend the orange juice and cornflour to a paste, stir into the pulp. Cook gently until thickened, then stir in the egg yolks and cook for 2 mins. Remove from the heat, stir in the creme fraiche or cream and pour into pastry case.
5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, whisk in the sugar in four batches, adding a little of the blended vinegar paste each time, until the meringue is thick and glossy.
6. Spoon the meringue over the filling. Swirl into peaks, then bake for 12-15 mins more. Cool for 10 mins. Serve warm or cold.